Regarding に and というのがある

Regarding this bit:

日本人がアメリカ人によく聞かれて困る質問の一つに、”How are you?" は日本語で何と言うか、というのがある。

Could you please break down というのがある’s grammar or what it means in this context? Also, what’s the purpose of 「に」at the end of 「 日本人がアメリカ人によく聞かれて困る質問の一つに」?

ありがとう!

2 Likes

I believe it means ‘There’s something called…;There is…’. Looks related to this:

Except instead of using こと the の is used to reference another clause in the sentence.

2 Likes

I can’t back this up with any specific resource, so take this with a grain of salt.

There is a pattern of 。。。 に。。。 がある that I think applies here. The main use would be “In regards to… (thing before に), there is this other thing that exists/is going on”.

But that’s just how I see things intuitively after reading a lot of Japanese, so it’s definitely not a scholarly based opinion and I definitely could be wrong.

2 Likes

Here’s also a Stackoverflow that seems to cover your same question using even the same sentence:

The というのがある means “there is [this question]” referring to the block before it of ”How are you?" は日本語で何と言うか.

3 Likes

why is there doge on the thumbnail

1 Like

It’s the avatar of the person who wrote the answer.

1 Like

Thank you very much!

1 Like

Thank you!!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.