魔法少女育成計画 (Magical Girl Raising Project) Book Discussion

That moment you actually figure out a katakana word from French (even if it is already a loan word in English).

クーデター

2 Likes

Because it is more awesome that way! :turtle::upside_down_face:

幸福しあわせ

2 Likes

Ooooooooh!

Well done :high_touch:

2 Likes

Yeah, sure. Let’s just have the word 痙攣 without furigana.

1 Like

Guessing from vague memory time: It means spasm or twitch or something and is read … けいれん???

I think…maybe it is sorta common for a rare word if you know what I mean…(assuming I am right…if I am wrong, wow! Neat weird word.)

Edit: Woohoo jisho agrees with me. Why do I know this but not how to make basic sentences…

2 Likes

Nice memory! I feel like I’ve seen it once before too (in Kino maybe?), but I still feel like it should have had furigana.

1 Like

Yeah, I think I must have floflod it back when we were doing kino before I stopped staying on top of floflo. Only rational reason for me to still remember. Definitely furigana advisable. I really feel like it looks like a spasm though which is nice.

1 Like

Well, on to chapter 5 tomorrow. Not much to say about chapter 4.

1 Like
Page 171 sentence question

なによりも強い敵はなによりも打ち滅ぼさなければならない敵である

I’m having some trouble breaking down this sentence with the double なによりも.

Assuming my understanding of なによりも isn’t completely off, なによりも強い敵 means “an enemy stronger than any other”. So does the whole thing mean “an enemy stronger than any other is an enemy that must be destroyed (above all else)”? (The second なによりも is a bit awkward to include in the English translation. Maybe “at all costs” would work.)

Is that right?

1 Like

That’s how I read it too. I would include the part you put in parentheses just to keep a parallel. Note that such repetition is also used in English, ex: “Absolute power corrupts absolutely”.

1 Like

Done chapter 5 which puts me at 70% done!

Chapter 5 comments

:grimacing:

Poor Winterprison. Also, poor Tama just by association. I feel so bad for her. Also poor whatever is going to soon happen to more characters based on the cliffhanger ending of the chapter.

I want to keep reading, but I should probably actually finish 聲の形 first since I only have two chapters left. Just haven’t felt like it.

2 Likes

What’s wrong, @TamanegiNoKame? D:

Sorry.

3 Likes

I kept thinking of @TamanegiNoKame the whole time I was reading that book.

4 Likes

奥歯を噛み締めた

I wonder if using kanji with the same component in quick succession is a form of alliteration in Japanese. :thinking:

Or maybe it’s just an aspect of the written language at this point. I’ve noticed that many two kanji compounds made from non-jouyou kanji have a component used in both kanji.

3 Likes

I finally finished chapter 2!

I did not expect that at all, it was an interesting surprise. I didn’t completely understand why スノーホワイト was still winning at the end there but I might reread that part. It’s late and all those numbers in Japanese were making me go nopenopenope.

I’ve been busier lately (that’s why it took me this long to finish this chapter) and probably will be even busier for a couple of weeks so just keeping up with the bookclubs is going to be a challenge. However once we are done with ハルヒ I can probably use all of that time on this crosses fingers

1 Like

About the blurred part: just keep reading :wink:

Edit: (tagging @Sylph to give a second notification) Wait, I may be misremembering. I think the explanations are after the results, but I don’t know if they are in the next chapter or not. So you may have seen them already, which is what you ment with the “all the numbers” part. If that’s the case, I roughly remember the way it goes, so I can tell you later.

2 Likes

I think it’s explained more in the next chapter, but I don’t remember either.

Meanwhile, I’m still early in chapter 6. It’s a really hard section (lots of fighting, but at least I know a lot of gun words from キノの旅 :upside_down_face:), so it’s been taking me a while.

1 Like

I remember that, in Chapter 6, the way (not a spoiler for you)Bloody Calamity Mary kills people all willy-nilly made my stomach churn. I don’t know why, but I could really picture myself and my family being on that highway, completely lost and confused as things are just blasted away around us. That wasn’t a fun feeling.

1 Like

Reached the break on page 212.

@Naphthalene Well, at least Calamity Mary is dead now! :tada:

Also, I have a bad feeling :grimacing:

1 Like
Spoilers pages 212-216

:sob: :sob: :sob:

Well that played out exactly as expected. At first I didn’t understand that what was being described was someone laying on the ground but not Top Speed. Once that clicked I knew what was happening. And Top Speed being pregnant was exactly what I expected.

That section was pretty tough to read, emotionally speaking. Poor Top Speed. Poor Ripple. :cry: