Join the Beginner Book Club here!

少女終末旅行 home thread

Chapter 5: 洗濯

Start Date: March 30th
Previous Chapter: Chapter 4
Next Chapter: Chapter 6

Vocabulary List

Kitsun

Here is a vocab list on kitsun.io for the manga. Keep in mind that the vocab list was automatically generated by parsing the manga and running it through a dictionary, so there can be errors. If you see any, be sure to report them (from within Kitsun) so that they can be fixed.

Deck: Kitsun.io

Spreadsheet

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this chapter yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

6 Likes

- oh hey, I heard this might be food.
/- Let’s eat it, then.

4 Likes

Saw that :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Spoiler tags are finicky.

1 Like

Page 82, third panel, someone added 確定 to the vocab sheet here, but the panel actually reads 確保. Have we got different editions floating around here, or was that just a misreading?

1 Like

Actually… when I got home from my Takayama trip on Tuesday, I thought, “Oh! I haven’t read the next chapter yet!”

…But, I read last week’s chapter before the trip. So I accidentally read this week’s chapter Wednesday…

4 Likes

Mine matches up with yours.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure there’s only one version of this (for once).

2 Likes

That was a quick read!

Only one question for me so far:

p. 89, bottom left panel:
ヒト以外の生き物なんてもう生き残ってないと思ってたけど。。。

So I read this as Apart from humans, which living things did not survive either, I wonder
What surprises me is the negation here… Apparently they survived, and they just found the fish that also had survived, so why are they talking about living beings that did not survive?

And a general remark

This chapter is so unbelievable that it makes me cringe all over.

1. They find a fish. A dead fish. And they eat it. Without getting any food poisioning whatsoever. Highly unlikely imho.
  2. They apparently hardly recognize the fish as being food. And they have never ever prepared one. Still they manage to not spill the gall and spoil the meat. Is this likely? Not so sure.
  3. They have never ever eaten a fish before, but they manage to eat it without getting issues from the fishbones. Highly unlikely in my experience, especially since it’s a sweetwater fish which usually are more nasty wrt fishbones.

Anyways, I guess it’s just a simple story and not meant to be accurate. I’m usually ok with that, it was just … a tad too much in this chapter.

5 Likes

She says “I thought that no creatures apart from humans survived, but… (we actually found a fish, so apparently that wasn’t true)”
You can also put the けど in the beginning of the sentence in English: “And here I was, thinking that nothing apart from humans survived”, something like that.

Regarding the food poisoning: at least Chi examines it and concludes that it hasn’t started decomposing yet… so they did do some sort of freshness check.

10 Likes

Plus, manga/anime characters only ever get food poisoning when doing so would be funny.

5 Likes

Or they’re going to die, which would be a surprise so early in the manga.

7 Likes

Probably a lame question but I’m practically an expert at stupid questions…so why not… :wink:

Maybe it’s the mixed in katakana…but can’t figure out how to read this…

Page 82

溜まってたハズだよ

I get that the first part (溜まって)is the snow has been building up but I don’t understand the rest of it works out ?

I tried to parse it like this;
溜まってた
バズだ

But even then I’m still lost… :confounded:

1 Like

It’s はず - expectation.

溜まっていたはずですよ - I expect (the meltwater) has been building up

6 Likes

so it was just in katakana to confuse me eh…sneaky crabigator!

also found this is N4 grammar I haven’t gotten to yet…but thanks to your answer, the info helped me find this in bunpro so yeah for that!

3 Likes

It was in katakana for emphasis.

And I know Koichi has his fingers in many pies, but I’m reasonably confident the crabigator wasn’t involved in word choices for this partiuclar manga. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

ha! foolish mortal…that’s what they want you to think…

3 Likes

What if all the remaining humans are immortal, and that’s how they survived whatever apocalyptic thing happened to the world

7 Likes

I actually checked, and they are still alive in the next chapter :rofl:

6 Likes

I should hope so. Watching an abandoned kettenkrad for the next five-and-a-bit volumes wouldn’t be very interesting.

8 Likes