風の谷のナウシカ Home Thread

Week 1

Start Date: Jun 10
Next Part: Week 2-3

Reading:

Week Volume Start Date End Phrase End Page Page Count
Week 1 1 Jun 10 この日 トルメキア戦役勃発す 71 63

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current section(s) and any content in future sections.
  • When asking for help, please mention the volume and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

9 Likes

I started reading a few days ago to give myself an idea what I’m in for.

Considering the opening is low-dialogue, I wasn’t surprised I got through page 25, reading a little here and there.

Then I saw this week goes through page 71.

My non-book club reading shall remain on hiatus for a while… I hope I can keep up!

(With this pacing, why am I also reading the anime manga alongside to see how they compare?)

Edit: Up through page 26 of the manga is 16% of the movie manga.

9 Likes

The contrast on the text is quite low in my copy; the furigana in particular are quite hard to make out.

I was surprised that on page 12 they felt the need to give a gloss for キャノピー.

5 Likes

Biggest issue I’m having here that I’ve read the English manga so many times that I find myself just remembering what it says rather than actually reading the Japanese. :stuck_out_tongue:

I confess I would’ve preferred a slightly slower speed myself, but the mob has spoken. :slightly_smiling_face:

The slightly brownish ink, you mean? That’s apparently the colour it was originally printed in.

6 Likes

Well, you didn’t give an option in the poll to read a volume over three weeks, only two and four. Four is pretty slow for ABC so I voted for two, but I would have happily voted for three. Too late now I guess.

5 Likes

Nah, I’d say it’s easy enough for me to rewrite the schedule if people are feeling too rushed by the end of the week. We can see how we’re feeling as a whole.

4 Likes

As long as you’re willing to cut the official club down to two volumes to keep it at six weeks I guess. I still haven’t started, so not sure how I’ll feel about the pace yet.

4 Likes

I just read up to page 26 (a pretty natural breakpoint :slightly_smiling_face:) and found it to be a pleasant read so far. Still a bit early to tell if the pace of the club is too high or not. If it stays as pleasant as this then I’m sure I’ll enjoy reading it on and off throughout the week and then I can probably keep up.

I read it in English last year, so I know the general plot, but definitely no details anymore, so I really have to read the Japanese, and like I said, I’m enjoying it :smile:

3 Likes

I read it in English like 7 years ago, so I remember close to nothing. Maybe one major plot point, though it’s also possible I’m misremembering. Guess I’ll find out soon enough!

4 Likes

Isn’t it, just?

Unfortunately, it does start to get a fair bit denser after that point, as it moves from an action scene to some exposition and worldbuilding, but yeah.

5 Likes

Yeah, I know, so we’ll see :wink:

Yes, same problem here and the details in the art are also really tiny sometimes :smile:

5 Likes

Grammar question

pg 20:

The third panel on the page

森へお帰り ここはおまえの住む世界じゃじゃないのよ

What’s the purpose of two じゃ right there? I don’t think I’ve seen it before. Could it be a typo?

4 Likes
じゃじゃない on p. 20

Good question! I was wondering the same, but didn’t look into it because I wanted to keep reading, but since you’re asking…

I was thinking that both might be possible. It could be a typo, but it could also be おまえの…世界ではじゃない. In the next sentence she remarks on the spores that it is spreading, so she might be telling it not to do that here (ここ) in a place that is not “at” (では) the world where it lives.

Edit: or, on second thought, could it be that the first じゃ is an abbreviated じゃない and the second じゃないのよ, is just the usual sentence ending “, right?” Or is that too much of a stretch? :smile: (Maybe then it would be じゃんじゃないのよ).

Surprisingly, googling じゃじゃない, does give a few hits (but not many).

4 Likes
じゃじゃない

Seems like a typo! I’m reading the (~~ gorgeous ~~ by the way) huge 豪華装丁本 and here’s a panel on page 17 for me:

So I assume there was a bit of revision done for this version as well.

10 Likes

That’s a pretty definitive answer :smile:

5 Likes

I suspect they entirely re-laid-out the text – it’s definitely in a size that’s proportionally smaller compared to its speech bubble, and just enlarging the text with the images would probably look a bit weird. So fixing typos would be easy enough if you needed to do that anyway.

Interestingly they also kanjified おまえ. In the original sometimes the text looks a bit cramped inside the speech bubble, and this bubble is one example of that. I wonder if they wanted to reduce the number of characters in that column to give it a little bit more space below? (The font size change also helps a lot there.)

Edit: here’s that dialogue bubble in the original for comparison; the third column of text is very near both top and bottom of the bubble:

image behind toggle

9 Likes

They re-did the text in the English two-volume edition as well… because I noticed in one early panel that a “from” in the four-volume Perfect Edition had been misspelt as “form”. Didn’t sit down to do a direct comparison of the remainder of the text, but that one stuck out like a sore thumb.

8 Likes

I also read through page 26. Feels like that would have been the end of the first chapter if there were proper chapter breaks.

The scene on pages 24-25 with the fox-squirrel biting Nausicaa is very memorable for some reason. Even though I read the manga in English 7 years ago and watched the anime sometime before that, I still remember that scene.

9 Likes

I’ve never read the English manga before, but I’ve seen the movie dubbed when I was a kid so many times that I’m hearing some of the lines as I read, which is… interesting and similar I guess.

6 Likes

I’ve never joined the advance book club before, but I managed to make it to page 44 last night. It seems to me so far that the action and nature scenes are less text heavy? Can any previous readers confirm?

I think my biggest issue so far is with the art. It’s gorgeous, but I can’t help but feel like it’s a storyboard with missing pan/zoom directions. I’m having trouble following the action and figuring out how the panels relate to each other. I’m also really surprised by how exclusively Miyazaki seems to work with squares and rectangles. I think in all the 44 pages I’ve read so far, the only odd spaces I’ve seen is a circle or two. I can’t help but think how much better certain panels might look if they were borderless with the background slightly “overflowing.”

8 Likes