Pages 155 - 165*

Chapter 7: お面をとらない男の子

Start Date: 21st March
Last Week: Chapter 6.2
Next Week: Chapter 7.2

霧のむこうのふしぎな町 Home Thread

Last sentence of page 165 for eBook readers:
「それも、ひどく優秀なね。」
*We are stopping at the natural break point on page 165.

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

2 Likes

Please note we are stopping at the natural break point on page 165

2 Likes

Page 156

そういえば、マンデーのかみもまっかで、サンデーとおなじようにもじゃもじゃとかきむしったような形をしている。

I get everything up until かきむしった, at which point I can happily look the word up in the dictionary but don’t see how it can be applied to a hairstyle :sweat_smile:

Page 159

(1)

「ほんと、ほんとにつれてきてくれる?リナちゃんとお友だちなの?」

Is と used here because the の is being described as “friends with Rina”?

(2)

マンデーがお昼だよといってくれなかったら、夜まではなしてもらえないところだった。

I’m a bit confused by the second clause. I think it’s 夜まで 話して もらえない ところ だった

The first part is If Monday hadn’t said “it’s lunchtime”, but then what does the second part mean? I don’t understand why it’s negative, as I feel like it should mean something such as “If Monday hadn’t announced lunch, (Sunday) would have kept on talking till nighttime.

Perhaps it means that Rina wouldn’t be able to take it, as it were? “If Monday hadn’t announced lunch, she wouldn’t have been able to take talking until evening”.

2 Likes

I think these two basically mean the same thing - tousled, as if someone had plucked / torn at it. I imagined these in a crazy professor style but maybe it’s not actually that bad. :crazy_face:

Maybe there’s another の in a previous sentence that you’re references? I believe the の in this sentence is the questioning の often used by females. If the preceding word is a noun, it requires な before it in place of だ.

Maybe this is 放して - she wouldn’t have been able to receive Sunday letting her go.

6 Likes

That’s what I was imagining, but “to tear off” or “to scratch off” just seemed too extreme :sweat_smile: I can’t imagine ever telling someone their hairstyle looks like somebody tore their hair out…

Oops! I still don’t quite get the と (rather than, say, リナちゃんのお友だち), but this is splitting hairs. Is Sunday questiong whether they (the tiger) are friends with Rina?

Eh? :sweat_smile: as in, it wouldn’t have been possible to be released from (talking with) Sunday?

1 Like

Haha sorry, I tried to stay close to the Japanese and created some difficult to understand English. :joy: Yeah, if Monday hadn’t told them it was lunch time, Sunday would have just kept talking.

3 Likes

Only two more questions from me - must be a relatively easy passage.

Page 161

「大きな口も、このとらっ鼻も。」
「ししっ鼻っていうのよ。」

Page 161 question

Right, what is a ししっ鼻? It’s evident that Sunday incorrectly refers to one of the dolls as having a ‘Tiger Nose’, and Rina then corrects him. That means it must be a Thing, rather than a general description of the nose. I’m assuming it’s a Lion Nose, but I wanted to double-check and also ask what a Lion Nose is :grin:

Page 164

「だって、わたしのもっている絵の具に、西にしずむ太陽の色なんてないんだもの。」

Page 164 question

Rina is talking to イッちゃん about her favourite colour. They are discussing pink vs ‘the colour of the sun sinking into the West’. Is she essentially saying here that her paints don’t have such a colour, with イッちゃん then responding that she’s just never paid attention to the sunset before?

Danke!

Page 161: It’s a type of nose shape (which supposedly resembles a lion / lion mask). Search google images and you’ll see!

From Goo:

獅子頭の鼻のように平たくて、小鼻の開いた鼻。

1 Like

You mostly get “before and after” photos of people who’ve had their nostrils surgically narrowed :sweat_smile:

:+1: thanks!

:open_mouth: there’s currently an Anonymous Liger in the vocab sheet - how fitting :tiger: :lion:

1 Like

Page 163
「とらないよ。おかあちゃんがあとでとってあげるっていったんだもの。おかあちゃんにとってもらうんだ。だめっ、さわっちゃ。」
お面に手をかけたリナから、サンデーはうしろにとびのいた。

Page 163 question

I feel like I’m not getting this right (or it’s weird?).
Is he saying that his mom will take off the mask later so it’s bad to touch it right now? It just seems like such a weird thing to say without further explanation (but maybe it will be given later?). Or I’m getting it completely wrong.
And the second sentence only makes sense to me if リナ was somehow already putting her hands on the mask to take it off but that seems quite intrusive to begin with.
I am confus @.@ (but I also had a lot of trouble reading 氷菓 today so it’s just not a good day for me).

This is the first question I ask for this book because all my doubts are usually already answered by the time I get to them so I straight up copied @Radish8’s format so I don’t mess it up P:

2 Likes

:joy:

answer attempt??

I understood it as “my mum said she would take the mask off later”. Then, “she’ll take it off for me”, followed by “don’t, don’t touch it!”, I assume in response to Rina reaching for the mask.

The next sentence indicates that he dodges out of the way of Rina’s outstretched hands.

Also, I have a horrible suspicion that his mum is sadly no longer with them for some tragic reason, and thus he now refuses to take the mask off because she had promised she would take it off “later” (and then never got a chance to do so before disappearing / dying / leaving). This is complete conjecture on my part and in all likelihood will turn out to be horribly wrong!

5 Likes

That would explain how weird it seems but I hope you are wrong :fearful:

1 Like
Page 164

Yes.

I thought he says that she just had not noticed the colour in her paints’ box yet - but I’m not 100% on that one.

Also for the next sentence, he says 見ようともしなかった。I think he talks about himself there, right? “I have never tried to see it myself either.” Because he cannot know whether Rina never tried, so that would be way too direct, plus we have the も in here. Does this make sense somehow?

:eyes: Bitte!

1 Like
thoughts

I thought it was like… she hadn’t noticed that her “pink” is “the colour of the sun sinking into the West”. Not what I originally wrote - that didn’t convey it correctly - so agree that it’s about her noticing something about her paints, but I thought it was more that she was just seeing her paints as ‘normal’ colours, when they’ve always been representative of beautiful things. They just didn’t have cool names.

2 Likes

That makes a lot of sense to me! Good teamwork :slight_smile:

1 Like

Convergence through collaboration :grin:

2 Likes

What does the title of the chapter mean? お面をとらない男の子 – The boy that doesn’t take off his mask?

1 Like

Yeah, I think so.

2 Likes

Ok a few questions here:

Summary

73%

一人ではなんともならないでいたところなんだ。

Alone not a bit… ?

76%

いやあな目、してるだろう。

78%

もえているようでいて、どこかさびしげで。

しずんでいく太陽を、見ようともしなかった

一人では alone/by myself (topic)
なんともならない -> opposite of なとかなる (to be able to manage somehow) -> can’t manage, no matter how
Aでいたところ got in the state of A/ was getting in the state of A
なんだ emotional emphasis

“It was getting to the point where I can’t manage alone :sob:

I don’t have the book right now, but I think you have one あ too many. いやなめ is 嫌な目 (“bad” eyes, so the witch has a scary look on a face)
してる is している she is making (a scary look)
だろう right?

A様(よう)でいる means to be looking like being A (without being necessarily A), plus て form

Didn’t even attempt to (whatever is in front, look in this case)

5 Likes