足りない VS 不足

Level 6 problems.

Based on the info in WK, it seems like both of these express the same meaning. What is the proper use for each one?

2 Likes

足りない is an い adjective, 不足 is a な adjective, noun, and する verb.
insuficient vs insufficiency
lacking vs shortage

5 Likes

Perfect, thank you!

1 Like

What you see: 足りない VS 不足
What I see: Why I don’t use KaniWani anymore

9 Likes

Yea I can’t stand KW sometimes because there is more than one correct answer to a lot of the questions. It’s a shame because I want to practice recalling the inverse of WK

2 Likes

The KW maintainers could fix this, but it would take a lot of time. KW being a free service, I don’t think they have the inclination to do that.

KameSame is slightly better at handling these “synonyms”. It doesn’t mark your answer wrong if it doesn’t fit the WK vocab 100%. It’s still a bit annoying, but an improvement to KW nonetheless.

3 Likes

Well KW does label part of speech. To help differentiate.

1 Like

That’s true. And if I knew grammar as well as I should it would be obvious to me. Unfortunately I don’t. Although I’ll need to put more effort into bothering to remember the terminology in the future, the required grammar knowledge necessary to parse which answer KW wants is not quite in-line with a beginner-level for language, assuming you start WK or indeed KW at anything near beginner level in the rest of the language. If that makes sense. It’s not so much a KW problem really.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.