お金が十円足りないんです。— Can you read this sentence and understand what it means?

お金が十円足りないんです。— Can you read this sentence and understand what it means?

Vocabs

お金 LV. 5: Money. Gotta be fancy with adding the お before 金 (gold) when you talk about money🤑, remember?

十 LV. 1: Ten.

円 LV. 2: Yen. It’s the Japanese currency ¥. Be careful with the pronunciation because it’s read as “えん.” You don’t pronounce “y.”

足りない LV. 6: Not Enough. It’s the negative form of 足りる (enough).

Let’s break it down!

(私は)______が●●●足りない。

______ = what’s not enough
●●● = how much/many

So in this case “お金が十円足りないんです。,”

お金 is not enough and it’s 十円 short.

The answer:

おかね が じゅうえん たりないんです。
I’m ten yen short.

Additional Lesson:
Are you currently short of something?
Make a Japanese sentence with “______が●●●足りない” or just “______が足りない.”

42 Likes

It makes me feel incredibly satisfied that I could read the sentence correctly and understand the individual words. All those hours poured into WK are showing :face_with_monocle:

I failed at grammar though. What I thought it meant was “Ten yen is not enough” (understandable, since for that amount you can’t even buy a slap in the face).

EDIT: Also, I am a bit confused about that ん (足りないです). Can anyone explain what it’s doing there?

9 Likes

http://maggiesensei.com/2010/09/08/request-lesson-when-and-how-to-use-んn-のです→んです)/

7 Likes

I’ve heard it implies that the sentence is being offered as some sort of explanation or reason for something else that is happening… but I’m not sure I fully understand it either

3 Likes

Yes, I understood without having to look anything up! :durtle_love::durtle_love::durtle_love:

I’m going to sleep now, but I will make my own sentence tomorrow. :blue_heart:

2 Likes

The shopkeeper would be extracting more value from you if they let you slap them in the face instead of asking you for ten yen then :thinking:

1 Like

@TofuguKanae’s ‘Can you read this sentence’ threads are so awesome they defy categorization!

How about:
電池が一本足りないんです。

I’m short one battery.

I don’t know if that’s the right counter though…

3 Likes

Yes. It’s most natural to break out んです as a response or explanation. It helps to look at what’s happening grammatically here.

んです is really just a contraction of のです, the same ending の that you might know as a nominalizer. Ex. 泳ぐのが好きです. (“I like swimming.” Lit. “Swimming is liked (by me).”

泳ぐ (swim) —> 泳ぐの (swimming)

So when you say something like 十円足りないんです, it’s the same as 十円足りないのです (though that’s awkward and unnatural). Or, to translate it to reflect the grammar/nominalization:

“It’s that I’m 10 yen short.”

(With 足りないの actually being a noun phrase: “being insufficient” or “(the fact) that it’s insufficient.”)

This is also why the phrase takes on です instead of ending with the verb. The last part of the sentence is a noun, so you need だ or です.

If you think about it along the lines of, “It’s that I’m ten yen short,” it becomes more clear why it’s more natural as an explanation or response than a stand-alone statement.

(Note that the phrase is also more natural in Japanese than “It’s that I’m ten yen short” is in English, so this is really just to illustrate the nuts and bolts of the grammar/logic, rather than the feeling. Unfortunately the languages rarely line up in terms of grammatical logic and natural use, which is why I think it’s helpful to have both the practical equivalent in English and the transliteration sometimes. One to help you remember when to use the phrase, the other to help you understand why it is the way it is.)

Re: Thread: Yes!

1ダースより何個か卵が足りない。

8 Likes

Makes you wonder, doesn’t it… Do we make the economy stronger by going around and slapping all the 売り手 in the face?

Also, an attempt from me:

チェコのお金が五十王冠足りない。I’m fifty Czech crowns short. And I just learned that “crown” is “おうかん” :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

点数が百点足りないのです。

5 Likes

流石タマネギ先輩!

1 Like

ワニカニシステムには「」が1語足りない。
実は、1語でさえないんです。

Yay! Glad you understood all the vocab here - and yes! All your effort into WaniKani is paying off🙌

So, 足りないです is a more casual way to say 足りないです. Unless in formal documents or literature, we don’t really use です. In spoken Japanese, の becomes ん almost always because it’s easier to pronounce and のです sounds pretty assertive so we often want to soften the feeling, I think. Same as this, なのだ becomes なんだ, etc.

5 Likes

Woops, I meant this to be in the Japanese Language forum! Thanks for letting me know. :slight_smile:

Good job on the 作文!:white_flower:
Yes, 本 the right counter for AA, AAA type of 電池 (ones that look like bars)!
For button battery, you’d want to use 個.

2 Likes

Good job! :white_flower: You can also use には instead of より.

1ダースには 何個か 卵が 足りない。
We’re a few eggs short for a dozen.

より and には are both used when comparing the size or number, but for a comparison with a specific goal, limit or requirement etc (when we often use 足りる/足りない), we tend to use には.

So you can use より when simply comparing the number of eggs you have and a dozen of eggs using the word 少ない:

1ダースより卵が何個か少ない
There’s a fewer eggs than a dozen.

But, you’d want to use には when you explain if enough or not enough using the word 足りない.

You did it very well💮, but also wanted to let you know the more natural way🙌 Hope it helps!

3 Likes

Ohhh I didn’t know Czech currency! 王冠👑? That’s fancy!
Japanese Wikipedia also shows me チェコ・コルナ (I guess it’s the katakana reading):crown::crown::crown:

五十チェコ・コルナは、十円と同じくらいの価値ですか?

1 Like

Ok, I’ll give you :100: for your 作文 then.

2 Likes

Good job💯

To make it sound more natural, you could also say:
ワニカニには「璃」を使った単語が足りない。
実は、一語 (or ひとつ)もないんです。

OK - I’ll add one vocab to your personal WaniKani :slight_smile: I don’t think 瑠 is on WaniKani, but 瑠璃 (ruri) is lapis lazuli (or similar stones) and 瑠璃色 (deep blue) is always facisnating to look at :blue_heart:

2 Likes

Both kanjis are on WK, levels 57 and 58 respectively. Neither have a word, even though there would be an easy fix, as you mentioned.

4 Likes

Good job! :white_flower: You can also use には instead of より.

1ダースには 何個か 卵が 足りない。
We’re a few eggs short for a dozen.

より and には are both used when comparing the size or number, but for a comparison with a specific goal, limit or requirement etc (when we often use 足りる/足りない), we tend to use には.

So you can use より when simply comparing the number of eggs you have and a dozen of eggs using the word 少ない:

1ダースより卵が何個か少ない。
There’s a fewer eggs than a dozen.

But, you’d want to use には when you explain if enough or not enough using the word 足りない.

You did it very well💮, but also wanted to let you know the more natural way🙌 Hope it helps!

Thank you for explaining this! I was wondering what the most natural way would be. I’d seen the より construction before, but には feels a lot smoother to me as a learner. The difference in implications is also easy to understand. Thanks again!