薬方(やくほう)is this word real?!

So I just recently learned the 薬方 (prescription) vocab, and my Japanese friend got really confused when I used that word. He said that he had never heard of it before and “処方箋” would probably be the most appropriate expression for “prescription”.

Does any senpai out there have any more thoughts to share on this? I’m probably gonna try to memorize “処方箋” instead, but I’m curious to know in what context “薬方” would be more appropriate to use. ^ - ^

3 Likes

I can’t find anything to suggest that would ever be the case. It’s hard to tell if it’s just a really old word or what, but you don’t need to use it.

It’s been said before, but WK vocab is primarily chosen to reinforce readings, and isn’t necessarily endorsed for usage.

Always do your own research before trying to use words from here.

2 Likes

Perhaps 薬方 is more to mean herbal prescriptions?

Thanks for looking into it! Makes more sense now that I look at it in a Kanji learning perspective rather than practical vocabulary. I’ll remember to properly check new vocab from now on.

Either way, I’m still learning something new! There might be a day that 薬方 comes in handy. You can never know what the future holds.

2 Likes

Perhaps! The plot thickens…

Yeah. This happens to me aaaaaalll the time. I go to use a new word that I’m sure is going to express exactly what I want to say and my coworkers are like “Wut? Nobody talks like that.”

If I’m really uncertain about something l’ll ask beforehand, like
〇〇が言われますか。
〇〇というのは自然な日本語ですか。
Something like that.

2 Likes

Yeah, there’s no harm in knowing these kinds of words, but it’s important to check the usage.

While I was studying for Kanken, the word 抑揚 (よくよう) came up. It’s basically the same as イントネーション, but in kanji form. I’ve never heard anyone use anything other than イントネーション in conversation, but Kanken is a kanji specific test, so they are not gonna ask about it.

2 Likes

Just an FYI, you regularly see prescription written as 処方 on the signs of pharmacies and drug stores in Japan.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.