Well there’s a new yojijukugo to play with on the first page. 津々浦々, every port and harbour.
I considered trying to locate all of the omiyage on the title page, but there’s just not enough shown of each box to readily identify them. That said, there’s one on page 90 that’s both identified in dialogue and has enough of the box in-panel to actually read the thing: 乳団子 from Hiroshima.
It’s so weird seeing all of them with their hair down.
Page 91, if that 5000 yen note is all they get, there’s nine of them in the room, so that amounts to just 555 yen each. It’s enough to buy a Happy Set at McDonalds, but not much more. What’s depicted in the first panel of 92 is definitely more.
The first panel of page 94 is here. Page 97, 八坂さん is, naturally, 八坂神社.
It’s a bit hard to tell from here, but it really kinda looks to me like English Toast is just… bread.
I’m used to characters in manga being young just because, but it was wild realizing that girls in real life actually do start training to become maiko in their mid-teens!
Question
I’m not totally sure what Sumire means in the first panel of page 98: “青森帰っても言葉戻らへんかったな”
Is she talking about how she’s not reverting back from speaking/thinking in Kyoto-ben?
I gathered the same as you when I read that line on the bus (no Internet access to look anything up).
I had noticed the same in the prior chapters, where she continued speaking with a dialect. (I imagine she went all-out on acquiring the dialect to begin with, to the point that it’s not easy to shake.)
Oh, it’s Momoko. In the drama version (which probably benefited from a fair amount of hindsight vis-a-vis where the story was going), Sumire is shown serving as Momoko’s assistant-slash-apprentice virtually from the first episode - it’s why they name her Momohana when she makes her debut. Here, this is her first appearance. (A lot of complicated description on page 120, though. I struggled a bit to follow along.)
Though trust the French to come up with a fancy name for “toasted ham-and-cheese sandwich with egg”.
Good old Croque madam. I first tried the Croque monsieur which is basically a french grilled cheese (which isn’t something we usually eat in my country) and I found it to be super tasty. Then putting an egg on top of that is just perfection