結婚しても恋してる Home Thread (Absolute Beginner Book Club)

Buy a physical copy, then.

2 Likes

Buy a physical copy, then download the raw. That’s not materially different than scanning it yourself so you can electronically annotate it.

But I suspect in reality you’re just looking for a justification so that you don’t have to spend money.

4 Likes

Right. Looking for justification, like I thought.

3 Likes

All of these ebooks have DRM protection. Even Kindle versions, which you can download, you still don’t fully own because they can cut you off at any point by revoking your purchase. So if you’re main goal is complete ownership and control, the best option is to buy a physical copy.

If instead your main goal is to get a pdf version to annotate, you can probably purchase it for the Kindle, download it, and convert it to pdf with Calibre (using a plugin to remove the DRM protection).

Regardless, you should purchase the book in some way, even if you plan to supplement with a pirated version. These forums don’t condone pirating, so if you resort to that I recommend keeping it to yourself.

3 Likes

Well, we can’t stop you from pirating if that’s what you’re going to do, but it’s best if you don’t actually say it here on the forums. It’s a “what the moderators don’t know can’t hurt them” kind of thing.

This is not entirely true. There are publishers who recognise that DRM harms their relationship with their customers, and don’t do it. However, it seems like our case here is not one of those.

Although still technically illegal in some jurisdictions (though not others, check your local laws), the ethical way to do this is to buy a DRMed version, then either crack it and use that, or download a pirated version to use as you wish. That way you don’t have a physical book taking up space, and you’ve still paid the author.

(Full disclosure: I found all the DRM ridiculousness too much and have bought the physical copy, which I will annotate with my non-Apple, low-tech pencil, available wherever obsolete media are sold.)

3 Likes

Condoning pirating would be me or you giving links to pirate the book, it’s not the case so you guys should really stop making an issue about something that is not.
At some point enough is enough don’t you think?
Anyway i got the help i need, will buy it through amazon. Thanks for the tip on caliber

1 Like

Morning all. Just finished this week’s chapters in チーズスイトホーム. Just two chapters to go now, that book club finishes a week on Friday.

Are people happy to get going on this book on 10th August?

7 Likes

What I do is do a legit ebook purchase, view in the site’s official app, then screenshot everything to put on my external drive in case something happens to my account or their servers or whatever. Doesn’t take too long unless I go nuts on a sale or coin up promotion and buy way too much.

I was so happy to see a non-manga up next for ABBC, because I’ll be going full force and analyzing my way through “One Week Friends” in the not-so-beginner book club. And now I see there will be a concurrent manga here.

Welp, between this and that and Yotsuba, it looks like my non-book club reads may be going on hiatus.

No regrets.

6 Likes

Sure. My calendar is marked, my book has arrived, my obsolescent pencil is sharpened and ready to go. Let’s do it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I received my book yesterday. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Looking forward to starting this book on the weekend. I was looking at the front cover to work out who wrote the book.

I’m guessing that the 原作 (original work) refers to the author “shin5”.

And that 漫画 (manga) refers to the artist.

English language sites refer to the other author as “Shirako” - looking up the kanji in Jisho it looks like that could be a reading of 白虎 (even though 白虎 is normally read as びゃっこ - meaning White Tiger).

Does that sound right?

Dunno about 白虎, but I’d be willing to be “shin5” is しんご :slightly_smiling_face:

https://twitter.com/shin5mt

2 Likes

Me also.
The furigana is sooo tiny lol I need glasses suddenly!!

1 Like

Shin5 = しんご - I like it!

The blurb on English sites describes the book as “semi-autobiographical” so it feels like your observation could be very relevant (as early as page 1…)

1 Like

Yah, after scrolling through his Twitter feed (which I linked above) and flipping through the book a bit, “semi-autobiographical” was my immediate first thought.

Hi guys :sweat_smile: I wanted to make a poll asking for a start date and all that, but I got sick (again) D:: So I will probably be able to post next week :DD Sorry for inconveniences :c :yellow_heart:

7 Likes

Just take care of yourself! :yellow_heart: I guess we got an unpolled break between books, since the book book also doesn’t start until next week.

4 Likes

This is my first time joining the book club and I am so excited. I ordered my copy of the book but it won’t get here until closer to the end of the month, sadly. That will give me time to finish Genki 1 at least :slight_smile:

5 Likes