私は店に走っています

I’m wondering if my grammar is correct for this sentence, I’m trying to say “I’m running to the store.” Would my sentence be correct? 私は店に走っています

Thanks!

In order to use a directional particle like に, you need a verb that describes motion, and 走る only describes the method of motion. So you need something like いく, or くる, etc.

If you are at home and telling someone you are going to the store and will be back soon, a natural way to say that would be

お店に行ってきます
Literally “I will go to the store and come back.”

Did you actually mean you are physically going to run?

In that case, where you are actively physically running to the store at the moment you uttered the line

お店まで走っているところです
Literally “I am (physically) running to the store (at this moment)”

So the grammar changes.

Note: ところ here is not a physical place, but used as a grammar to emphasis the specific moment of action.

10 Likes

Thank you for your reply, another question, what does the “まで” in お店まで走っているところです do?

まで is like an end point for something. The most common opposite starting point particle would be から. So it sets an end point for the thing rather than a directional indicator. It’s like “up to” or “until.” I’m running until/as far as the store, is a way you could think of it.

It’s a subtle distinction, I suppose.

The counterintuitive thing maybe is that 走る alone isn’t sufficient to talk about moving from place to place in a directional sense. But the same thing applies to any other method of action… Walking, swimming, etc.

8 Likes

How about お店に走っていっています? (or the ところ variation of it)

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.