Native speakers correcting my use of に

I am always corrected when I use に as in this TF example: とうきょうにいきます

Recently, スーパーに早くあるまいました。

I was told instead of に, it should be まで

Why?

*edited

1 Like

Do you mean で、not でま?Or do you mean まで, which is generally preferably for talking about intervals of time (like until).

で is somewhat interchangeable with に for some uses, but not for others. The main difference between the two is that に implies a deep connection between the things it combines, such as a where one lives or works, while で is usually something temporary or transient.

Sorry, it was まで

I don’t know what’s going on in your 2nd sentence.

The first sentence is fine for “I am in Tokyo”

according to TextFugu, that is how I would say “I quickly walked to the supermarket”

TF also says the first sentence means “I will go to Tokyo”

If that’s what you want, it would need to be スーパーに早く歩いていきました

1 Like

Well in the first sentence I would use へ to show target of motion, even though に is fine too, but native speaks I’ve talked to seemed to prefer へ. I’m also not sure what the second senctence is trying to convey, but I think made, could be used to make it more about “until early”? (Or is this Ikiru not Iku?)

Ah, I read them both as いる, since that’s what the second sentence seems to use. Yes, it’s okay for that.

No idea what that means

To me, the second sentence is
[place] に [adverb][verb]
Supermarket に quickly walked

Sorry, forgot you haven’t learned the kanji for walking. あるいていきました

あるく is the verb you’re trying to use for walk to the story right? But you can’t use あるく for movement. It’s just an action word. So it needs to link with the て form to いく to verb for “to go.”

I think OP meant to use あるき and that they haven’t learned て-form
That makes sense with the correction to まで as well

Yep, just realized I messed up, meant to say あるきました。

Ah, well that opens up the problem I mentioned, that you can’t use あるく alone as in the English “I walked to the store”. It only describes an action, not movement. So you say something literally like “I went to the store walking.”

As for まで vs に, に isn’t wrong, but まで probably has a more natural nuance in whatever situation it was. Some people overcorrect things that aren’t strictly wrong to make them more natural.

2 Likes

Blockquote

Why can’t I use the verb for “to walk” as an action word? That doesn’t make sense to me. Is it the tense?

Also, I have no idea how to quote someone else’s reply.

It is an action, but only an action. It can’t be used with [place + に] for movement. You need a movement verb to go with it, like いく, くる, etc.

It’s a quirk of Japanese.

3 Likes

Well isn’t that something! lol

I do understand now that you’ve explained it more.

Thank you.

Yeah, no problem. The same thing goes for はしる, およぐ, etc.

There’s actually more to it, but since it’s not related to your main question, we can set it aside for now.

Now I don’t know when to use に :sob:

Welcome to Japanese particles and verbs. :no_mouth:

1 Like

There was nothing wrong with your use of に

It’s just that まで, because it is like the “to” in “from here to there” (the equivalent for “from” would be から) it could be used in your examples as well. It’s worth thinking about why someone corrected you. If they aren’t saying that you said something outright ungrammatical, just take their correction with a grain of salt. You can worry about sounding more natural when you know all the parts to work with.

That’s why I bothered to talk about あるく, because it actually resulted in an ungrammatical sentence.

2 Likes