神さまがまちガえる | Week 6 Discussion

Pages 109-126

Chapter 4 part 1

Start Date: 10th December
Previous Week: Chapter 3
Next Week: Chapter 4 part 2

神さまがまちガえる Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

7 Likes

Kasane’s explanation of the current bug was a little complicated but it was pretty fun to read lol

Question (page 116)

Kasane says「…実際には左右反転なんてしてなくて」Could someone help break down 「なんてしてなくて」 and explain what role 「なんて」is playing here?

4 Likes
Page 116

My understanding is that なんて adds vagueness and makes her statement more general.

左右反転 => inverted left and right
左右反転なんて => something like inverted left and right.
左右反転なんてしている => doing something like inverting left and right.
左右反転なんてしていない => not doing something like inverting left and right.
左右反転なんてしていなくて => not doing something like inverting left and right, AND … (ない in its て-form used to connect to her next sentence)

She’s using なんて to express that it’s not an inversion of left and right, nor anything of the sort. Instead, it’s something completely different, which she explains afterwards through the next few pages.

8 Likes
Page 120

学校休みになんないかなー

I found that なんない might be a contraction of ならない. Is it true? Does it mean that Kon wonders if he will have a day off?

Page 125

どうせだしなんか素材撮って帰る。。。

I’m not sure how to parse this sentence. When I try to translate it word by word, I get something like “At least there is a pretext, I’ll take a raw photo and come back”, but it’s a wild guess and I feel like I’m terribly wrong here :smiley:

General comment

Me, doing WK lessons some time ago: 左右 as “left and right”? That’s a cool word, but I don’t think it will be useful.
Me, this week: OK, I take it back.

This week I was affected by the bug, too, because I try to read everything that appears in the background. I was taking screenshots and flipping them in MS Paint :laughing:

8 Likes
Page 120

Yes, I believe that’s a somewhat common abbreviation in informal japanese. And yes, the sentence would mean “I wonder if (this situation) won’t turn into school being cancelled”.

Page 125

My breakdown is the following:

どうせだし => This means “might as well”. This is basically the equivalent of どうせだから, but using し instead of から to express a reason (in this context the reason being “given the current situation”). し makes the reason more vague, so it’s implying there are other, unnamed underlying reasons.

なんか => some kind of
素材 => “material” From context, he probably means pictures and video for a movie or something.
撮って => take (this kanji used mostly for picture or video). The てーform connects with the following verb (“and…”)
帰る => go back.

Putting this altogether: “(Given the situation) I might as well take some pictures and go back”.

6 Likes

Thanks for asking exactly the same questions I had, @electrosuccess!

Here are my other questions this chapter:

Page 110
  • Somebody: っていうかなんかもう
    Is that “Or rather, what the hell”?
Page 123
  • Teacher: じゃあ後で写真に撮って反転した画像提出してもらおうかな
    Student to another student: お前余計なことを!
    I’m not quite sure what the teacher is suggesting there, and what the student is saying to the other student.

PS: I finally caught up! (Although it seems there isn’t much happening in the threads at the moment…)

5 Likes
Page 123

I’m not really sure either, but the gist of what I interpreted was something like:
The teacher is saying that the student can take a photo of their note and invert the image to make it readable
The other student said something along the lines of that being a lot of work

6 Likes

Congrats on catching up, you were pretty fast ! I saw the all the notifications but I doubt I could help you much since in some cases it made me realized I didn’t get it either ! woops !

Anyway, I was a bit behind regarding Japanese reading practice this week so I didn’t participate

5 Likes
Page 123

I don’t think it’s the teacher is offering something nice there. The male student seems shocked, and judging from the female student’s facial expression and speech bubble I think she might be angry with the male student for complaining earlier.

Thinking more about it, here’s what I get:

• じゃあ後で - Then later
  • 写真に撮って反転した画像 - an image of a photo that was taken and reversed
  • 提出してもらおうかな - I’ll make you submit, maybe

So, I think she’s planning of making him (or maybe all students?) do something, and since he’s shocked, it’s probably a lot of work. Maybe write/draw out a reverse image, additionally to the notes they are taking right now?

Even if it’s that, I still can’t place what the female student is saying. Maybe she’s chastising him for doing an uncessary thing, maybe she’s talking about unnecessary work that now needs to be done. Maybe something else?

Thanks! It definitely was a bit stressful, haha. But since I actually also finished this chapter now, I finally have a bit of time to relax, and maybe actually answer a question or two… :slight_smile:

6 Likes
Page 110

I don’t think this is like “what the hell”. I think the もう here is like “further” in definition 3 of Jisho. She’s basically going off of the previous statement that the seats are reversed and saying it goes further than that. That then leads to the next statement (presumably by the same person) that everything is reversed left to right. It’s like a transitional statement.

That’s what I think it is anyway.

Page 123

Before that, the teacher had said to take notes. The student complained that even if they take notes, they won’t be able to read them later.

The teacher responds that it’s important for the students to write it down (maybe the idea that writing things helps you remember them better). Then the students whine some more (えー). That leads to this:
じゃあ後で写真に撮って反転した画像提出してもらおうかな
じゃあ = well then
後で = afterward
写真に撮って = take a picture
反転した画像 = reversed image
提出して = submit
もらおう = to get someone to do something (definition 2 in Jisho)
かな = Should I (definition 2 in Jisho)

Put it all together:
Maybe afterward I’ll have you take a picture and turn in the reversed image.

I guess they would have to reverse the image because the idea is that they turn it in after the bug is fixed. That way, she knows the students created readable versions of their notes that they can review later. That’s just me guessing though.

And the other student:
お前余計なことを
There is a dropped verb at the end:
お前余計なことを言った

This is “You said something you didn’t have to say” (definition 2 of 余計 in Jisho, “unnecessary, uncalled-for”). The student is saying that because the other student complained, now they may all have to submit photos of their notes. Meaning they all have to take notes. And notes that will satisfy the teacher as well.

If he hadn’t said anything, they could have just not taken notes at all, or taken sloppier notes.

7 Likes

I’ve been playing catch up and after chapter 2 I felt like maybe I’d drop this after this volume. Then chapter 3 was a bit more interesting, and now I feel same level of extra interest or possibly a bit more. Still don’t know if I’ll continue with it, but at least I’m enjoying the journey so far.

And thanks everyone for asking questions, it has helped me understand things better too. :blush:

8 Likes

I hope it’s the right week I’m posting on… but… can someone help me figure out what the sentence says? The meaning just doesn’t click for me for some reason.

Ebook page 125, regular is like 120 I think

The topic is the 例外庁
(例外庁は…)

2 Likes
Pg. 120

First half:

どうやって = "how; in what way; by what means

バグってる = to be buggy (てる is stative in this case)

の = stand in for a noun, being described by the preceding verb

が = subject marker

人間 = human

だ = copula

と = quoting particle, taking all the preceding things and summarizing for the following verb

分かって = to understand/to know, in て form to connect to the remainder of the sentence.

So, the first half: “How do (they) know the buggy thing is humans and…”

Second half:

バグが = bug, subject marker for second sentence

何日か = how many days

続くって = to continue, stative (so in a state of continuing)

発表 = announcement

できたん = can, in past form, with a shortened の

だろう = seeking confirmation, but pretty confidently. In conjunction with the shortened の from before, のだろう is used, mostly by men, to basically confirm info based on something said earlier (in this case, based on Kasane telling them the number of days)

So, “They are able to announce how many days the bug will continue.”

Overall, with some shuffling around for better English, I take this to mean: “How do they know that the buggy thing is humans and are able to announce how many days it will continue?”

It all kinda precedes the next panel, where he points out that whether we are observing the world or humans, or should be the same. Implication being that the way we observe the world, for all intents and purposes, is the world. He’s basically questioning how the agency works and how they can determine both that the world isn’t flipped (just human cognition) and how long it goes for.

At least, that is how it reads to me.

If there are any specific grammar questions I’m missing, feel free to ask. I’m typing this in a hurry before I get ready for work, so I’m not as detailed as I might usually be!

5 Likes
Page 120

So… I’ll tell you what happened. First of all, I didn’t find the subject, because it was on another panel :laughing:… then I also misread 発表 as cough 疫病 cough, because I can’t read, apparently, so… :joy: the sentence makes very little sense when you read it without a subject and replace 発表 with 疫病 lolol .

Half of my Japanese struggles would be solved with more sleep, food and more paying attention lolol.

Otherwise, after discovering my many embarrassing mistakes… “How does the ministry know that what bugs out is humans and how are they able to announce how many days it will continue…” is how I would’ve translated it too :rofl:.

2 Likes