本好きの下剋上: Week 3 discussion

A quick question about the following sentence.

スッポンのように食らいつき、熱い餅のように剥がれない、と言われていたわたしの本に対する粘着力を甘く見てもらっては困る。

The スッポンのように is more of a “some-what-literal” simile (if there is such a thing), right?

And not this… Which could also fit (some-what)

I haven’t read this week’s part yet, but considering we are talking about 粘着力, the expression you linked to fits perfectly, and mirrors the next part about 熱い餅.

1 Like

Didn’t really have much to say this time, just wanted to say that some of the comments here are rather helpful for helping me catch things I would otherwise totally miss. For example, I didn’t realize 臭い could be read as におい. I thought it was exclusively read as くさい.

7 Likes

I don’t have much to say either. I really liked the shampoo chapter for some reason. The last chapter wasn’t particularly interesting though. I like the direction, just not the actual execution of the chapter itself.

4 Likes

I’m really behind on question asking.

エジプト文明、レスペクト中 24%

紙を作る過程における最初…材料である木を得るところでつまずいているのである。

紙を作る過程における最初 = “the first thing in regards to the process of making paper”
材料である木を得る = “to obtain trees as raw materials”

Is ところで here one word? Or is 得る modifying ところ and then で is acting as “and”?

つまずく = “to stumble” or “to fail”. So is she just expecting to fail?

The next sentence is

結論。できるわけない。だがしかし、諦めるのはまだ早い。

So, つまずく meaning “to fail” does kind of make sense.

エジプト文明、レスペクト中 26%

確か、パピルスは見た感じ結構硬そうで、繊維が縦と横になっていて、繊維の方向が表と裏で違うから、片面にしか書けなくて、折り曲げるのには向かないという注意書きが、ページの隅にはあったけれど、どうすれば作れるのか、なんて当然だけど、書いていなかった

I don’t really get the second half of this sentence (bolded). Is she still talking about notes in books she’s read about papyrus? Or the papyrus itself? I’m not really seeing how the two parts of the sentence connect.

First question

It’s simply ~ところ+で which means “at the point of ~” (here, getting the raw materials).
She is not expecting to fail as much as she is failing (ている).

Ah, if your question was about the meaning of this word, then it’s a metaphorical stumble = to fail.

Second question

You did not split in the right place.

is still part of the notes about papyrus, which were written in the margin of the book she was reading. ( 注意書きが、ページの隅にはあった)
But

(even though those notes were there), the way to make papyrus, obviously, was not written.

4 Likes