本好きの下剋上: Week 3 discussion

Join the Advanced Book Club here!

本好きの下剋上 Home Thread

Week 3

Start Date: August 29th
Previous week: Week 2
Next week: Week 4

Reading:

Chapters 5 - 8 (生活改善中, 近所の男の子, 紙、入手不可能, エジプト文明、レスペクト中) (43 pages/ 12%)

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :books:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but haven’t reached that part yet
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

4 Likes

I read two of the chapters ahead of time, so I should be in a good position to finish the remaining two chapters this week. I do have a backlog of three chapters’ worth of vocab to go through and add to Kitsun though. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Same, 2 chapters done and working my way slowly forward. Thoughts so far
5:

• なり。。。なり grammar was new but easy to grasp
  • Vocab in this chapter seemed way simpler than any before
  • Change in pace with stuff other than books to worry about. That was nice

6:

• A cool saying/proverb: 将を射んと欲すれば、先ず馬を射よ
  • A shuu mention after the prolog. Interesting.
  • What is 色素補正 near the end of the chapter. Kind of dumb but I can’t seem to decipher it -.- (ルッツ、色素補正持ってる!)

Still working on the other chapters. Will post again if I have more to say.

8 Likes

If anyone, like me, was wondering the difference :slight_smile:

絞る vs 搾る

https://gimon-sukkiri.jp/shiboru-shiboru/

5 Likes

Also, a question about the sentence starting 「種の油だけ… on the right.

I know of どれだけ~ても. But anyone have any ideas on どれだけ~たら?

Can find anything about it.

EDIT: No problem now. After I posted, it clicked.

1 Like

Done with all the parts for this week. The last 2 chapters kinda flew by so I’m starting to really enjoy my time with reading this book.

Funnily enough this is also were the anime starts to deviate a bit in the order of events it seems? Either way the last chapter is not covered in the anime at all. So no nursery there as far as I can remember. Other then that オットー best character so far!

Funnily enough 絞る now came up in this chapter :smiley:

2 Likes

I have a physical version on the way, but just to be sure I’m not hilariously behind in my ebook version – can anyone confirm that this week’s chapters are called 本、入手不可能 and 生活改善中? This book has been going by very quickly and I’m paranoid that I might not be reading all that I should be.

Whoops, never mind – just noticed the first post and confirmed I need to read more :sweat_smile:

To be clear, this week’s assignment just started yesterday/today, so it’s not like you’re behind.

4 Likes

I have a pretty general question that popped up with all the smells she is describing. I know the difference between 臭い and 匂い. My question is how the hell do I know how to read the first one.
It can be read くさい or におい. Is there any rule when to read it one way or the other? I mean it doesn’t impede my ability to understand the sentence or anything but I don’t want to be laughed at by japanese people should I ever have to read a text out loud ^^.

Thanks for any hints or help you can provide me.

くさい is the adjective version, and におい is the noun.

4 Likes

Duh… Now that you tell me that -.-. So all 臭いの are におい. Man this was helpful. Thanks a lot!
EDIT: yes i know の can replace a noun in this case it would be the adjektive くさい… sorry for the imprecise writing there… example for noun 臭いを遮り, example for adjective ラルフ達はちょっと臭い。

1 Like

そんなことを考えながら市場から帰ると、トゥーリも森から帰ってきた。薪を拾って、木の実や茸もたくさん採って、肉の味付けに使う薬草もたくさん採ったらしい。

How am I supposed to read 薪 here? まき? たきぎ? From what I was looking up earlier, it seems dependent on whether the wood was chopped or just found? :thinking:

1 Like

Yes that is the exact difference I read from the dictionary too. So since they are gathering the wood in the nearby forest I read it たきぎ.

4 Likes

Anyone know what the heck 簡易ちゃんリンシャン is? Searching on google just brings me a bunch of pages about this book…

1 Like

I think I can help with this. Its a word created by urano herself. You can break it up into 2 parts
簡易ちゃん・リンシャン
So its basically “simplicity/ease-of-use” personified with “chan” (easy-to-use-chan) to make it cute combined with rinse-shampoo(Jisho.org: Japanese Dictionary Jisho.org: Japanese Dictionary) both words smushed together and shortend.
Since its her invention she just names it like that because she can and it makes sense for her.
Was easier for me to follow in the book because of prior knowledge from the anime.
Don’t even know how I would try to translate that into an english name :smiley:

EDIT: looked it up on crunchyroll just for the heck and they went with “Simple all-in-one shampoo”. I mean sure… but not really creative…

EDIT2: In german they went with the fatalistic “Simple emergency solution” LOL…

11 Likes

Oh, typical Japanese, combining two loan words into a shorter combo word…

I don’t have any specific comment to make, but I just wanted to say that with the chapters for this week I’m starting to actually enjoy reading the book :slight_smile: (compared to just reading it because of the club the first two weeks)

I especially liked the part about the shampoo, (as a random side note, it kind of reminded me of Dr. Stone in a way)

7 Likes

Was longer than expected but this book is fun. Lots of new words for me. I like when we discover how they live their life.

Spoiler

The daily stuff that we would have never thought was working that way. I just wonder if children are really able to do all that stuff at these age. Go collect wood, carry Mayne, and other. Am I understimating children or are we too used to not let them do anything these day?

I had a question about the soap production process. I won’t write it all because it is long but can someone confirm me if I got the step correctly?
1-She put oil in a jar then put some herb for the smell.
2-she bring the bathing cloth to use as a towel.
3-she tries to remove the herb
4-she put hot water(from the boiling vegetable) in the bucket
5-Shampoo complete

Have I got it correctly?

Oh no! not that again. My brain had forgotten that. I just always read it as くさい. My problem is I never know when it is a noun of not. My way of finding it does not work in Japanese normaly if I find a の it’s a noun but I just read that.

Why??? so much pain :exploding_head:

ANOTHER ONE !!! :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob:
Wood is wood who cares if you found it on the ground or cut it :sob: :sob: :sob:
Japanese is fun they said, kanji are fun they said.
ok I might have overdrmatised it a little
a little

You are right オットー is the best. Look at him with all these harmless rabbits.

I do prefer ルッツ I mean he is a イケメン at 4 years old and he wants to help Mayne even if he can’t. He is adorable.

yeah I did get some Dr. Stone vib. It was good for the soap but I hope if she make something else it won’t be too hard to understand.
Just thought about something. If we ever do read that in Japanese I want to put it in “hardcore level”.

2 Likes
My thoughts

Before school became mandatory*, children were put to work as early as possible. And it is still the case in some parts of the world. It doesn’t seem too weird for me that young children can collect fallen branches and fruits while older ones are around. As for carrying マイン, she is short and light for her age; given that the other kids have been working for years, they might be stronger than we would expect (not totally sure though).

* And even afterward, having them work before/after school was very common, at least in the countryside, for a long while (and it probably continues in some places) [might depend on your country I guess]

That’s one of the things I like about this story: this is not simply modern Japan with medieval Europe buildings and clothes + some (often broken) nobility system. The author probably did some research beyond looking at Disney films :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

… I have a fair bit of overtime this week. So I might be a day behind as I’m still reading Chapter seven. I’ll try to finish in time though!