本好きの下剋上 home thread

This week, we’re going on an adventure!

12 Likes

I’ve read up through chapter 8 now, and I fear this may not be the book for me. :weary:

No plot spoilers, just opinions–will be curious to know if anyone else is feeling similarly as they progress:

I… kind of hate Urano? At least, I’m not able to sympathize with her. Her single-minded obsession is less endearing than I expected it to be–it drives her to be selfish and obnoxious at every turn. And her persistent sense of superiority over everyone around her is super gross. I asked my friend who reads a lot of isekai about this, and she said that Ascendance of a Bookworm is actually comparatively mild on that front?? So I guess maybe isekai in general is not for me. Alas!

2 Likes

I actually had the same reaction, and am considering dropping the book, too. For what it’s worth I’m reading another isekai called 乙女ゲームの破滅フラグしかない and have been enjoying it a lot, so I don’t think it’s particular to the genre.

3 Likes

It’s comforting to know it’s not just me!

1 Like

I spend most of my time reading and hate doing other things (e.g. working out) if I can’t read in parallel. So I can very much relate to Urano. :joy:

6 Likes

This week, you’ve got to show respect to the Egyptian civilization.

10 Likes

Having just caught up with last week’s quota, I’ll just say that while I can see where people are coming from in terms of disliking our heroine, I think she’s great, and I really like the way the book is narrated.

Yes, she may be a little too obsessed with reading, but…I was literally this exact same way as a kid (one time my mom set me down on the floor for a time-out and I ended up pulling back the rug and reading the label that tells you how to wash it and stuff), so I’ve gotta say I find her quite relatable.

13 Likes
Thoughts

Agreed! I think she keeps a lot of her less likable thoughts in her head, lol, which is often the most any of us can hope for as human beings. She also has positive thoughts about the people around her, and considering that to her they’re strangers, and often strangers who keep her from doing what she wants, that’s good, too. (They help her a lot, too, and she seems pretty good about noticing that and being thankful. Especially since they’re often helping her without knowing why.)

I feel like if it were a different kind of narrative where we weren’t quite so in touch with her unfiltered thoughts, she’d come off a little better. But I like getting to read her unfiltered thoughts, so. :smiley:

I also hope she grows as a person! Seeing her grow and change while also carrying out her book quest, I would enjoy that~

10 Likes

cc. @jacobalbano

Some thoughts as well

I just want to say that I like her as well! And I also was am someone who would just keep reading all day long if I could.

That’s still weird to me, though, since she has memories of them. I guess that’s because my only point of comparison is 乙女ゲーム, where the main character is herself (?) rather than having hijacked someone else’s body (which seems to be what people are considering here).

That’s exactly what I am hoping for. I’m actually looking forward to seeing her once she has made some books and has (at least partially) quenched the Thirst. On the one hand, that could mean that she would just get fully absorbed and become an empty shell of a human being, on the other hand, the time it took for her to get there might have severed her somewhat from her addiction.

10 Likes
Thoughts on thoughts

That’s still weird to me, though, since she has memories of them.

Her new life memories are pretty weird, though! It seems like she has to stop a moment and focus in order to access them, sometimes, so I feel like even with all her new life memories, she doesn’t necessarily feel connected to those emotions~ Whereas the emotions she carried over as her old life self are right there. It’s more complicated than that they’re strangers, though, yes, especially now that she’s been マイン a while.

12 Likes

Percentages are weird. Last week, my phone told me 43 pages are 12% and this week, my computer tells me 35 pages are 15% :woman_shrugging:

7 Likes

There’s a chapter called 冬支度 which should be chapter 9, it’s not on the list… Could it be related to that somehow? :eyes: :thinking:

And there’s 4 chapters listed for this week, but also says 9-11… o:

3 Likes

冬支度 to the end of 古代エジプト人に敗北 would also actually be 35 pages according to the physical book :slight_smile:

3 Likes

(Also @Ditto20)
Ah, I messed up where we were supposed to finish last week. Well, one chapter less to read this week :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: fun fact, I’m listing the chapters for the express purpose of not messing things up like that. And yet I still did
(Well, that’s what I get for reading everything at once almost one week later)

7 Likes

Is also good because it’s easier to see which chapters we’re reading, 具体的にね :+1: My book (on bookwalker) doesn’t have numbers for each chapter.

Btw, chapter 12 is still on the list :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Yeah, there’s no official chapter numbers, just names. When I made the schedule, it was just easier to visualize with chapter numbers.

3 Likes

Does this mean we read 1 chapter more than we were supposed to last week?
That’s why I feel the reading was long for the number of pages

No, the page count is correct. But when I read yesterday, I read one chapter extra (冬支度)

2 Likes

Naphthalene: “I should catch up on book clubs”
Also Naphthalene: is always one chapter ahead

WHICH ONE IS IT

9 Likes
  1. Naphthalene is one week behind
  2. “I should catch up on the book clubs”
  3. Starts with 本好きの下克上
  4. Misses the end
  5. Ends up one chapter ahead
  6. Next week immediately rolls in
  7. Gets confused about where we are in the book