本好きの下剋上 Home Thread

Week 20

Start Date: December 26th
Previous week: Week 19
Next: Volume 3

Reading:

Epilogue/ Short stories (37 pages/ 10%)

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :books:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but haven’t reached that part yet
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

2 Likes

Lots of tension, when suddenly Corrina.

5 Likes

Done! Those two bonus chapters didn’t really mesh with the cliffhanger ending there, I gotta say.

4 Likes
This week spoiler

This week we had lots of marriage stuff. They basically seemed to be the same. I preferred the Lutz and Beno one. Btw am I the only one who finds Lutz’s mom really annoying? She just can’t seem to accept her son’s choice and just gossip about bad things. She is that annoying neighbor/colleague who just runs after gossip to find herself interesting. She even have her own gossip fan club. I feel bad for Lutz.

Book impression

Not sure if I should write this here but…
I liked this book more than the first one because it was less stagnant. I felt like more useful stuff happened and that the story was flowing very well. The world starts to have more flesh. I really liked the book.

3 Likes

Definitely not, she is horrendous. Keeping Mayne out on the cold doorstep while she tries to get her to gang up on her son? I didn’t quite understand what was so bad about her back in book 1 but that was way over the line.

1 Like
Spoiler

I don’t, though.
She is obviously just worried about her son.

NB: any normal human being would not have much problem with that. マイン is just unbelievably frail.

As for me, my favorite part of the two short stories was the actual way ギュンター proposed. Probably my third favorite proposal in the series :stuck_out_tongue:

Re: book impression

I don’t see any problem with that. I’m not planning to make any specific thread for that and it would get lost in the main thread :thinking:

As for me, it feels like a long time ago, but I did enjoy volume 2 as well and moved straight up to volume 3 at the time. I was a bit disappointed at first that the reveal from volume 1 about the existence of magic didn’t bring immediate changes to story… but actually there’s still a lot of things happening, with magic contracts, trombe and ルッツ finding out there’s something fishy with マイン. I liked フリーダ a lot too (“my hobby is to count gold coins; also watching them stack up as I turn a profit out of everything I touch” very much 悪役令嬢 :stuck_out_tongue:).
I’m excited for people to finally get to volume 3 and meet my favorite character in the whole series, allowing me to introduce my OTP (One True Pairing). Well, I guess people who watched the anime already know about him, but anyway :thinking:

4 Likes
Spoiler

That’s true, I suppose.

Same, that was very smooth.

1 Like

I personally liked the side stories a lot. They can certainly feel kind of like a filler at times, but for me they contain a huge chunk of the world and character building. For example…

This week's spoiler

This is where one big reason why Myne’s family isn’t all that freaked out by her strangeness is revealed – it’s that her father is an equally huge weirdo and actually a bigger source of gossip around the well, especially the part where he has trouble adjusting to the reality of his situation and goes out and does crazy things without paying attention to anything else.

5 Likes
Summary

I never thought about it that way, but I guess in some way that would make the rest of the family a bit more jaded indeed :thinking:
Generally speaking, I think there are almost 0 rumors about マイン since she never goes out. I think in the first book other kids considered her as a “rare monster” in her own words (which is a Dragon Quest reference I guess).

I think you can appreciate it even more, since it isn’t until later books [future spoiler] we get to see what is actually required to be a knight and just how unrealistic Günther’s dream is.

1 Like

Oh, I thought it was mentioned in that story too :thinking: I guess I remembered wrong.