本好きの下剋上: Volume 3, Week 7 discussion

Join the Advanced Book Club here!

本好きの下剋上 Home Thread

Week 27

Start Date: February 20th
Previous week: Week 26
Next week: Week 28

Reading:

Chapters 18-20 (静かに大騒ぎ, 入れない楽園, 反対と説得, 46 pages/ 11%)

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :books:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but haven’t reached that part yet
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

2 Likes
This week spoiler

I must be honest I’m gonna getting annoyed by Mayne sometimes.
The moments she sees books her IQ just drops below the acceptable level and she is losing all sense of reality. She also seems to take all the wrong cues. When someone is surprised about a 7 years old talking about a huge gold coin it’s obviously going to be because it’s too high. She then speaks way too much and digs herself into a hole even more. She should try to look around once in a while it could be useful. How about asking about what does a priestess does before becoming one. She just let the head priest speak with the guild leader for her like that, did she? Someone she barely knows?

Anyway, apart from that she is going to get scolded by Beno so hard. She just loves books way too much. I don’t hate Mayne but I hate that part of her that drives her to do random stuff.

3 Likes
This week's spoiler

To be fair, there’s a reason the LN isn’t called Ascendance of a Girl Moderately Interested in Books.

6 Likes

That title though.

3 Likes

To be fair, she has only one year left to live and books right there. Nothing else matters to her. Her position and money are useless once she is dead.

While I agree that it’s annoying at time that her exclusive priority is books, in this specific case, it lead to them believing she is rich, which is always a good situation for negotiations.

4 Likes

I get that she is about to die but if she is to regret her decision the moment she stops to think about it wouldn’t she should just think before acting? If she would have waited then asked her parents about it before making a choice that will affect her entire lifestyle it would have been better. For small things I get it but it’s an addiction at this point. It kinda feels forced sometimes. Just a little something that grinds my gear

1 Like

Yes. It is. That’s the point. She just can’t stop even if she knows it’s wrong.

Also, in this specific case, she would never have been able to meet the 神殿長 otherwise. One does not simply walk into the 神殿.

5 Likes

Which is why I think it’s kinda forced. It feels to me like the plot is forced to advance.

Hm, I feel like that about meeting that specific character in that specific location, but otherwise the interactions felt natural considering everyone’s personality.

4 Likes

This is exactly what it is. If you look back, doesn’t it seem like she has been going through withdrawal? Books used to be everything for her.

4 Likes

Chapter 18: I’m very amused by the random グリコ pose. 笑っちゃダメ、笑っちゃダメ!

4 Likes

Chapter 20: I really like the illustration of マイン, she is so happy! :sparkles: And then there’s the last scene with her touching the holy grail… Why do they want to talk to her parents?! Σ(O_O) I can’t wait to read the next chapter

5 Likes

Didn’t she say that they oppose her decision to join?

4 Likes

She did! Her parents didn’t want her to become a 巫女見習い because supposedly only orphans started working at the church from such a young age and she would have to live away from her family, so they felt like she was abandoning them.

2 Likes

Nafu I think that part is next week…? :sweat_smile: We don’t know why yet

2 Likes

You saw nothing then. Move along (for the next 48 hours)
Sorry :frowning:

3 Likes

Seems like Ditto20 has started reading this volume as she has made me aware of this illustration at the very front of the book :eyes:

Click for photo (warning: spoiler for this week)

Her dress is so pretty! :durtle_love:

[Nafu’s post from the previous week]

oof, what were they even doing :laughing: (I remember @icefang97 posted a screenshot from the anime)

5 Likes