本好きの下剋上: Volume 2, Week 9 discussion

Join the Advanced Book Club here!

本好きの下剋上 Home Thread

Week 19

Start Date: December 19th
Previous week: Week 18
Next Week: Week 20

Reading:

Chapters 20/21 (早速作ってみた, マイン、倒れる) (39 pages/ 10%)

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :books:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but haven’t reached that part yet
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

3 Likes
This week spoiler

This week we learn about the power of money. If someone does not want to comply just slap a stack of money in his face and he will comply. Remember guys money is always the solution. The mother of Lutz is just the kind of parent I hate. She ignores what Lutz wants and tries to push her morals on him. FIGHT LUTZ !!! Other than that looks like Mayne has found the limit of her resistance against the み喰み. Does she have enough money stacked up? We will see next week.

I have a question. I’m not sure about the last sentence of the first chapter.
「家族を相手に金勘定をするのは気が済まない、とルッツは言ったが家族相手になれ合いをしているようでは、碌な商人になれるはずがない、とマルクが諭されていた」
So it’s kinda long so I won’t go into detail by my guess is:
“Luts family does not like money calculation, said Lutz. For his family to get used to it he can’t become a bad merchand admonish Mark.” I think I get the whole of it but I feel like something is missing. Can someone help me please?
Thank you

1 Like

”I don’t want to involve money calculations (=“histoires d’argent” in French, but I don’t know how to say that in English) when it comes to my family" said Lutz about what is supposed to be a (normal) way to get accustomed to it through interacting with one’s family, so he got corrected by Marc who said that then he’ll never become a proper merchant.
Lutz doesn’t want to make a profit out of his family, but Marc is saying that one’s family is the proper training ground for learning how to make a profit. (Of course, my opinion is that it’s only true if your family members are also merchant, not defenseless artisans)

Also, it’s 進まない and not 済まない (and technically 慣れ合い not なれ合い.

I have a lot to say about your first paragraph, but I sadly know too much. Again. :frowning:

3 Likes

All caught up! Very glad tomorrow is Saturday because I’m anxious to finish the book out so I can start on the next one. I haven’t looked at the epilogue at all but I do wonder where they could go from here that doesn’t seem like a big change in pacing after the events of the last two pages.

2 Likes