Week 2 14 January 2023
Chapter 3 and 4
End page 60
Page count 30
Last week Click!
Next week Click!
Home Thread Click!

Vocabulary

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Discussion Guidelines

Everybody should feel free to post and ask questions–it’s what makes book clubs fun! But please do not post until you are familiar with Spoiler Courtesy!

Spoiler Courtesy

Please follow these rules to avoid inadvertent ネタバレ. If you’re unsure whether something should have a spoiler tag, err on the side of using one.

1. Any potential spoiler for the current week’s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.
  2. Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I don’t intend to read soon).
  3. Any information from later in the book than the current week’s reading (including trigger warnings that haven’t yet manifested) needs to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as coming from later sections.
Instructions for Spoiler Tags

Click the cog above the text box and use either the “Hide Details” or “Blur Spoiler” options. The text which says “This text will be hidden” should be replaced with what you are wishing to write. In the case of “Hide Details”, the section in the brackets that is labelled “Summary” can be replaced with whatever you like also (i.e, [details=”Chapter 1, Pg. 1”]).

Hide Details results in the dropdown box like below:

Example

This is an example of the “Hide Details” option.

The “Blur Spoiler” option will simply blur the text it surrounds.

This is an example of the “Blur Spoiler” option.

Participation

Will you be reading along with us this week?

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m reading this book after the club has finished
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

If you’ve already read this book but are still going to join the discussion, please select “I have read this part.”

5 Likes
Kindle page 38

No idea what Mikorin is saying in the two lower panels:

• ここはつむじに一度印つけて…

• ここがポイントだぞ‼

• And what does the page have to do with the title, 接待?

Kindle page 41

Mikorin: 見た目で言うな
I can see the 言うな being “Don’t say”, but what’s the 見た目で then? “Don’t say that while looking like this”?
Or is it something like “Can’t you tell from the appearance?”

Kndle page 44
  • Mikorin: ひくな!!!
    …what does that mean?
  • What’s next to the 「ひくな!!!」? 「ノれよ!!」 and 「ノッ?こいよ!!!」? What does that mean?

Haha, Mikorin is great. He might be such a pain to be around in real life, but reading about him is fun. Sort of a tsundere + ikemen who gets embarassed by himself. I love that Nozaki has him completely figured out apparently.

6 Likes
Page 38 (35)

I feel this is probably vocab related to mangaka work, so not really sure, but here is my best guess.

ここはつむじに一度印つけて…

So Chiyo is asking how to do a glossy fill (ツヤベタ). It seems this is usually related to making a character’s hair look shiny / glossy. It appears that Mikorin is explaining that you do this by using a stamp and using it in a hair-whorl pattern (つむじ) (which is the whirlpool like shape people’s hair have at the top of their heads).

Not confident on that at all. I’d really like to hear other people’s understanding of what he means.

ここがポイントだぞ‼

I believe this is just Mikorin saying that this main point, or one of the important parts, of the procedure that he’s explaining.

Regarding the title. 接待 means “entertainment of guests” and in this case it’s being used in the sense that Chiyo is humoring Mikorin’s desire to be asked for instructions, which Nozaki pointed out in the previous page. She doesn’t really care about his explanation - she only asked to entertain him, which I think is clear by the way she behaves while he’s explaining.

Page 41 (38)

Not sure either, but I feel this is something like “Don’t say that just because of the appearance (of that drawing)”. He means that he does a good job with backgrounds despite his terrible house-drawing skills - which gets demonstrated in the last panel of that page.

Page 44 (41)

I believe ひく is to “draw back” in this case; used in the sense of someone moving themselves backwards because they are disgusted / annoyed / disappointed about something.

Regarding ノれ, I think this is a slightly weird way to write 乗れ.

Among it’s various meanings, 乗る also means “to take part / to participate”, and in this case it’s being used in the sense of playing along (with the joke that he made in the previous panel).

So basically he’s saying “Don’t draw back! Play along!”. He’s hoping she will retort something to his joke, that’s why he says 乗ってこい.

6 Likes

Thanks for the help, all of that makes sense!

And man, that handwritten て… I guess I should’ve gotten it, but it looks more like a Z than anything else.

2 Likes

I like the fact that the heroine is using the same exact fonts Mikoshiba does a bit earlier. It really adds to the experience.

Also.

This isn’t a dog, this is a cat with a bone.

8 Likes

Finished chapter three today! I watched the anime a while ago, and I forgot how much I like these characters haha

Page 34 (p.32 physical)

Does anyone know why Nozaki calls him みこりん/what it really means? I assume the みこ comes from his real name みこしば but. Maybe it’s just supposed to sound a little bit cuter based on his soft/easily embarrassed nature?

5 Likes

yeah ch3 done…

3 Likes

Doing better than I am. I’ll be super catching up this week on this one. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

that’s debatable… I’m so behind in Shadow House… that one takes me more time than this one…
maybe I’ll read ahead another week of Takagi san :wink:

2 Likes
page 32 / 34

りん is a diminutive suffix used to convey cuteness, according to jisho!

5 Likes

Ah that makes more sense, and now I see it in jisho, thank you!!

4 Likes

I hope everyone has been enjoying the story so far! I’ll have a busy week so decided to start early with Chapter 4. One small question:

Kindle Page 52

Does anyone know what Seo is saying in the last panel that is making Nozaki angry?

5 Likes

ロリコン

7 Likes

Oh boy, no wonder he was mad with her! She sure has a way with words :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

I asked a native speaker at a meet up because I couldn’t read the first character. He said ロリコン, but was too embarrassed to explain what that was, then all the otaku boys in the group chimed in saying “how do you read manga and not know what that is??” :sweat_smile: I think we may read very different kinds of manga…

8 Likes

I’m just now catching up with this >.< sorry for being late~

Page 33:

Summary

I’m not sure what exactly やんねえ means

3 Likes
Explanation

Informal contraction of やっていない, or in this case to take (seriously)
Two forces are at play here, ねぇ being a slangish version of ない, and the replacing of certain structures with ん, here for example the whole ている part is basically replaced. There’s an article about this in Tae Kim’s guide

5 Likes

You’re a real one, Gorbit99. I hope all your days are blessed and that you find joy and happiness in all avenues of your life.

5 Likes