時をかける少女: Week 1 Discussion (Chapter 1)

If the quotation particle と was used wouldn’t it be saying they said “ぼんやり”?
If you look on Jisho I’m pretty sure it says what particle the adverb/onomatopoeic word takes:

4 Likes

There was no verb that described action of saying in that sentence. I understand it as because ぼんやり is onomatopoeic word, if you want to use it to describe verb, you have to quote it.

I just checked a Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar, and it describe と as “a particle which marks a quotation, sound or the manner in which s.o. / s.t. does s.t.” and have example with ゆっくりと.

1 Like

What do you mean? The verb is there, it’s the 言う in ぼんやりとそういって. Also, your example with ゆっくりと is just another case of an adverb taking the と particle.

If you see some logic behind it being the quotation particle and it makes sense to you, though, that’s fine.

4 Likes

You are right with いう, I was more thinking about のろのろと手を洗いつづけた and forgot to check again sentence :).

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, what do you suggest for learning grammar? I’m going through NihongoShark but am not thrilled with it.

2 Likes

Personally, I used Tae Kim’s Grammar guide :slight_smile: I think it’s pretty good for beginners.
I would also recommend Bunpro.jp It’s basically Wanikani but for grammar.
If you have the money the Genki books are very useful.
There’s also a good site for practice called WaniConjugation that helps you practice different word conjugations.
Hope that helps!

Oh, and one last thing!
This might be useful:

4 Likes

This whole time I’ve been thinking that was Gorou and completely misinterpreting everything :sob: I need to pay more attention to adjectives because it’s quite obvious through ぼんやり

1 Like

Thanks a ton. These are awesome tips

1 Like

Yesterday I read one page and half. It is my first attempt to reading a book in Japanese and I have to say it is not easy, but at the same time it’s amazing I can grasp an understanding after less than a year of study :slight_smile:

11 Likes

First day reading that book I was about level 18 in WK, I think. If I remember correctly, I didn’t even finish the first page in the first day :laughing:

2 Likes

I thought Ebook Japan had it on sale for around 170 yen, but it was the manga. Whoops!

It’s cool though, now I can read both :rofl:

1 Like

I just want to counter that わ is still very frequently used by both males and females of all ages in Kansai. So if you’re in kansai and picking up kansai-ben, you can feel free to sprinkle in some わs.
If you’re not, then what OmukaiAndi said goes, and you’ll probably get some funny looks.

3 Likes

yeah, outside of kansai, males use わ rarely, because it’s very situational here.

It just hard for me to read, I don’t know lots of words and the grammer is difficult

Kadokawa Page 10
廊下へ出るドアの手前の、ついたての向こう側へとびこんだのである。
The shadow barged through the partitioning screen that was on the side of the room that the door to the corridor was on right? Why not use ドア instead of ついたて? Is ドア here referring more to a doorway than an actual western style door?

I think these are two separate things.
The ドア is a regular door.
The ついたて is a freestanding item, maybe like this:

Perhaps - it leapt into the space on the far side of the screen, which was in front of the door which led to the corridor.

4 Likes

So it went behind the screen, and presumably through the door?

Well, at least, that person probably had that intent :wink:

They crashed into it?~ is that what 飛び込む implies?

From the following text, no. The figure lept behind the side of the partition opposite Kazuko, then stopped for a bit. When she called out, the figure tries the door, but she said it was locked and they stopped again.

No, thy just dove behind the partition. Not through it or crashing into it or anything. ついたての向こう側 means the opposite side of the partition (where Kazuko can’t see), and that’s where the shadow jumped.

4 Likes