時をかける少女: Week 9 Discussion (Chapters 14 and 15)

Join the Beginner Book Club here!

時をかける少女 home thread

Chapters 14 and 15: きのうへの旅、おとといへの旅/ふたたび現場にきた

51lR3HyQf4L

Start Date: January 19th
Previous Chapters: Chapters 12 and 13
Next Chapters: Chapters 16 and 17

Vocabulary List

Floflo

Pre-learn the vocabulary in the book here:

https://floflo.moe/toki-wo-kakeru-shoujo-tsubasa-bunko-ed/

Vocab Sheet

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this chapter yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

5 Likes

Time to solve the mystery of her teleporting clothes! or whatever the hell is going on!

2 Likes

I’m more curious about the teleporting notebook.

4 Likes

Well that didn’t explain the thing I wanted explained. Oh well.

I learned a lot about 60s Japan household items today

@seanblue It took me from my last post to this post (40 minutes?)
It’s very possible I read faster because I knew I was timing myself.

3 Likes

柱時計 being like “I belong”.

1 Like

For the benefit of others!

Pictures of Japanese Household Stuff

石油ストーブ

湯沸かし (don’t confuse with 湯沸かし機)
Fusion Dance

障子

柱時計🕰

茶の間

I have a genuine question and it has nothing to do with grammar or the plot, but why was water boiling when people are supposed to be sleeping?? I get that maybe it’s being used as a humidifier, but dude, you’re gonna ruin your pot if you don’t keep that thing attended and just go to sleep!

Update: I have been informed that cast iron is a thing.

10 Likes

The last sentence of chapter 14

途中の道で、知っている人に会いませんように──そう念じながら、かの女は学校へといそいだ。

Why と is used after へ in かの女は学校へといそいだ?

3 Likes

It’s there for emphasis.
The first answer of this stackexchange is quite nice:

8 Likes

Interesting, it reminds me of how も can be used for emphasis. It even shares the meaning “and” with も. Coincidence?

Actually one of my favorite Japanese songs (Nirvana by Mucc) ends with へと (まだ見ぬ世界へと) and I’ve been wondering what special sense that inferred ever since I started singing along with it 6 years ago

1 Like

Yay, managed to read both chapters on day 1 this week! :3

Was it just me or were these two super easy? (Okay, so maybe not super easy, but I had to look up very little and nothing seemed as intricate as some sentences have been before)

On another note, I want to read a version of this book without her notebook and see how well she’ll do then xD

Also, does anyone think there’s any significance in seeing that scene in the toilet, where Gorou talks to Kazuo again like at the beginning of the book? Or do you think it might just be for emphasis? It juste seemed a bit odd to me…

4 Likes

Me too. I dunno. Also, his dialogue was different.

I don’t know if they were any easier. There were a number of nouns (as shown above!) that I had to look up and a few verbs that I didn’t bother to look up.

2 Likes

Very true. I had to look up some obscure ones too, actually.
Maybe it’s just me getting used to reading that amount in one sitting, rather than having to fight through it. It’s probably my endurance building then. :muscle:

Yeah I noticed that too. Hopefully, next chapter we’ll get an idea how they play into this new reality

2 Likes

It feels like I’m the only person filling out / still using the vocab sheet.

Is anyone else using it??

1 Like

I just re-read it to make sure, but it’s exactly the same, as far as I could see?
The first part of the exchange has been cut, but I assumed that was for time rather than a difference in what happened.

2 Likes

…huh, you’re right. I just remembered it differently!

3 Likes

I’m still just using FloFlo, sorry.

1 Like

I was thinking about filling in some stuff for the current chapters, but since the lists for the ones before that were so empty I figured there weren’t many people checking the list anyway… but if there are I‘d gladly add some next time around.

I’m actually using neither the vocab sheet, nor floflo to look words up, I mainly rely on jisho, but am probably gonna switch to a japanese dictionary soon… It seems easier to me because I get multiple meanings…

3 Likes

I’ve been looking over it about once per week, I added 4 words a few chapters ago because it was looking pretty empty

1 Like

I’m still reading in a browser using Yomichan, not using any vocab lists.

1 Like