Week 13

Start Date: August 1st
Previous week: Week 12
Next week: Week 14

Reading:

End Page End Percentage End Phrase Page Count
199 92% [End of section 9] 13

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer/not reading the book

0 voters

1 Like

Now that was intense! Everything seems to be coming together finally. So Komori was the one who killed the 17-year-old in the newspaper article!
Also I must confess that I had totally misinterpreted what the people at the rain temple offered to Ren’s mother. I thought they gave her a medicine so that she could have a baby with her lover post-mortem, but in fact they allowed her to revive him this way! Awesome plot twist, and a bit yuck at the same time…
So Komori in fact killed Ren in a previous life. No wonder he was not amused when they met again. Now I should go back and reread that scene, to see how much was already foreshadowing what had happened back then…

6 Likes

Yes, that part came together much faster than I had expected. Also コモリ describing his murders… yikes. The worst part was probably the murder of (past) レン, since the reason was basically that he couldn’t forgive his existence.
I also wonder who the guy who took care of him (forgot his name already) was, considering he had the newspaper clippings? Maybe he was his (former life) father?

4 Likes

Yes, how he bragged about his murders! What an unpleasant dude.
I thought Hoshikawa (had to look up the name as well) had the newspaper clippings because he was a friend of Ren’s mother, and that he got them via her? But maybe there is still more to it behind the scenes… (But then, there’s only 11 pages left, and we still need to retract 2 levels of narration…)

Also, I’m consistently more worried about our dead friend Kazuki. I don’t think this will end well for him.

4 Likes

Hoshikawa was quite older, though. Assuming he is the father, they would have met before, obviously. Considering she stole the bones, she probably had some explaining to do as well, which led to him finding out about the 古道 or something like that?

About Kazuki, I’m pretty sure he will have to remain on the 古道. He is filled with the night.

2 Likes

Caught up with three weeks’ worth and then couldn’t stop and read next week’s as well! The first half of this story didn’t suck me in so much, but the second half was much more enjoyable. Perhaps the ending was good, but perhaps the ending wasn’t good, and perhaps I will say nothing about the ending at all. (I just read through the last few threads and am now paranoid about accidentally spoiling people, lol.)

7 Likes

We certainly didn’t do very well on that front :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Sorry, but that was too much to bear for me :joy_cat: So I finished the book as well. :woman_shrugging:
(But I will hold back my comments until next week.)

5 Likes

I look forward to your thoughts next week! :smiley:

3 Likes

Hahaha, yeah, see you all in the week 14 thread!

2 Likes

I have not read next week’s reading yet so…see you all next week. :rofl:

3 Likes

Finished up this week, and I’m super looking forward to how this will end. I have to admit, I’ve gotten a bit attached to Ren; I hope everything works out in the end.

Komori got what he deserved in spades. What a disgusting human being.

5 Likes

Did I read this week’s section at the last minute, or did I purposely hold off so I could finish the book off in one uninterrupted session?

Could it be both?

5 Likes