Week 11

Start Date: July 18th
Previous week: Week 10
Next week: Week 12

Reading:

End Page End Percentage End Phrase Page Count
172 78% 服に関してはなかなか思い通りにはいかなかった。 15

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer/not reading the book

0 voters

Ahhh, finally caught up! Just finished week 10

5 Likes

I also just caught up! I had stopped around page 50 because I didn’t much care for the first story. The characters seemed bland and underdeveloped. I’m glad I continued because the writing in the second story is much better.

5 Likes

I got the percentage wrong again and went way too far… orz
Anyway, story time continues. I wonder if the newspaper cut will play a role later? The author seems to never leave untied threads, so I guess so. Also, neat that names were written in kanji there :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

When he found it I assumed it would be about him or his friend. I was a bit disappointed when that did not seem to be the case

3 Likes

Well, it may be related. Hopefully, we’ll find out :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

Maybe I’ve horribly misread the latter part of this section, but I was under the impression that the kid with Hoshikawa was Ren.

1 Like

Yes, that’s the case. I thought @Kumirei meant Hoshikawa by “his friend”

1 Like

Ah, I see now. :+1:

I feel like I didn’t 100% get when they were talking about the trees. The trees grow from certain corpses on the road? And Hoshikawa has one of those seeds?

1 Like

(Next week spoiler… I don’t want to just erase that message)They grow from any corpse as long as you have a special seed, yes. Hoshikawa didn’t have one at first, but got one. Considering that it’s almost the equivalent of a ticket to heaven, it feels suspicious that people would just give them away.

Why is it considered a ticket to heaven again? I need to go back and re-read this; I must’ve been half asleep…

1 Like

That’s mostly my interpretation, but the trees are considered sacred and Hoshikawa says (iirc) that there’s no greater honor than becoming one. The alternative is to become a zombie roaming the land, which feels hellish to me.

3 Likes

I want to be a tree when I grow up

3 Likes

He did? I thought Ren was the one with the seed, and Hoshikawa wanted one but didn’t have one because he was 半端者?

1 Like

木になるのが気になる?

5 Likes

… forget about that until next week.
Which is tomorrow.

2 Likes

That’s how I read it.

I remember him saying something like “I’m a bonehead, so I probably don’t have one.”

Yes, that’s basically how it is so far (I don’t remember a probably, more like he just said he doesn’t have one, but that’s minor).
Mostly, as mentioned in the beginning of the thread, I have read too far and I’m blurting out things I shouldn’t… I should probably edit those posts, huh.

2 Likes

Yup, you’re right.

自分は半端者だからな、残念ながら種は持っていない。

3 Likes