夜市 (Night Market)

I must confess I’ve been reading a pirated copy for the last few weeks, but my physical version just arrived (along with two more books by the same author; really enjoying his style) and it’s surprising how much more there is to go! I guess since we’re reaching the end of the titular story I expected us to be closer to the end of the book overall, not that I’m complaining.

1 Like

Yes, it also surprised me when making the schedule that the titular story was less than half of the whole book… I guess it was made this way since it’s the more popular of the two? But if that’s the case, it’s a bit worrying for the remainder of the club :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Well, time to figure out how good it actually is!

2 Likes

New thread is up! I guess things are going to start getting weird.

4 Likes

Are the main characters going to die a horrible death? Probably not!

11 Likes

Big fan of the sensationalist weekly introductions. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

@Naphthalene

4 Likes

THIS WEEK on 古道!
\text{The horrible TRUTH is revealed}
\hspace{10pt}An\hspace{4pt}unexpected\hspace{4pt}proposal\hspace{4pt}is\hspace{4pt}agreed\hspace{4pt}upon

AND A THOUSAND ELEPHANTS!*

*No insurance is given with respect to the presence, or lack thereof, of elephants. The house may not be held accountable for loss, injuries or other damages resulting from an incorrect number of elephants.

13 Likes

This week, life is pain.
No, that has nothing to do with the content of the book

9 Likes

This week in 夜市, @Belerith is allowed to remember.

5 Likes

Which ones did you pick? I also like his style, and I’m keeping an eye on 金色の獣、彼方に向かう (which contains 4 short stories).

Maybe we should propose another one of his books in the club?

2 Likes

秋の牢獄 and 雷の季節の終わりに. To be honest I just added them on a whim without looking into them too much. It always feels a little wasteful to pay a shipping fee that’s 3x the actual order.

2 Likes

Somehow I either didn’t know or forgot that 雷の季節の終わりに was from the same author despite starting it around the time 夜市 was chosen and knowing it was from the same horror imprint. :sweat_smile:

I had to put it on hold for a while since my reading time took a hit over the past couple of months for various reasons and I’m barely keeping up with book clubs but I’m looking forward to getting back to it.

2 Likes

Well, here’s the penultimate week. Will they reach their destination? Was it inside their heart all along?

10 Likes

And that’s a wrap folks!

I’ll post a satisfaction poll in the next few days.

8 Likes

Looks like almost everyone still reading along is done, so satisfaction poll time!

Have you read 夜市?

• I finished 夜市
  • I’m still reading 夜市 but plan on finishing it
  • I don’t plan to finish 夜市
  • I never even started 夜市

0 voters

If you read the book, how would you rate it on a 5 point scale? (1-hated it, 5-loved it)

• Unsure / Didn’t finish

0 voters

If you read the book, how would you rate its difficulty on a 5 point scale? (1-slept walked through it, 5-felt like swimming through solid rock)

• Unsure / Didn’t finish

0 voters

As a bonus, let’s have a look at participation.
yoichi
(Well, that’s not great in dark mode, but anyway)

It seems like we didn’t have much attrition at all! Roughly 46% of the people who started reading the book made it to the end (okay, that’s a bit of attrition, but nowhere near what we had recently). If we look only at finishing the titular story, we get 82%!!
There’s a drop in comments on the first week of 風の古道, which makes sense, but otherwise things have been fairly consistent.

6 Likes

My first intermediate book! Really enjoying the experience. I have slowed down because of Kiki’s, but I’m determined to finish it, the story got me hooked. I think the numbers are great too! :smiley:

7 Likes

I wish there were separate polls for each story. While I really didn’t care for the first story, I did enjoy the second one.

2 Likes

I really liked this book a lot. I almost didn’t read it after having such a tough time with 氷菓, but I’m glad I decided to give it a try. To atone for my crime of starting off with an illegitimate epub, I bought a physical copy along with two other books by the same author, which I’ll certainly be reading in the near future.

Between the two stories I think I liked 風の古道 the best, but 夜市 was also highly enjoyable. The worldbuilding was good across the board and both settings got me really curious to think about what other stories could be told in the same space.

I rated the difficulty pretty low but as far as I can remember even that just due to there being a decent amount of unfamiliar vocab – at times it felt like some of the sentences were almost too short to exist in a real book, though that sounds like I’m complaining while I’m definitely not. The author’s writing style is straightforward and easy to follow, but without feeling overly simplistic. I bet it would be a great book to pick up as your first novel It feels like my reading speed has gone up quite a bit in the last few weeks and I’m sure this has been good practice.

Whereas 氷菓 helped me break the novel barrier, this one really helped me find the joy of reading long prose and I’m very excited to read something else. I’ve already started on しあわせの花 (one of the 鬼滅の刃 light novels), which I’ve been putting off forever, and it feels much more approachable now than it did when it first arrived. Thanks to @Naphthalene for organizing this and to everyone who read along; it’s been a good ride!

6 Likes

Ask, and thou shall receive.

How would you rate 夜市 (the story) on a 5 point scale? (1-hated it, 5-loved it)

• Unsure / Didn’t finish

0 voters

Difficulty of 夜市 on a five point scale? (1 - easiest, 5 - hardest)

• Unsure / Didn’t finish

0 voters

How would you rate 風の古道 on a 5 point scale? (1-hated it, 5-loved it)

• Unsure / Didn’t finish

0 voters

Difficulty of 風の古道 on a five point scale? (1 - easiest, 5 - hardest)

• Unsure / Didn’t finish

0 voters

5 Likes