Week 10

Start Date: July 11th
Previous week: Week 9
Next week: Week 11

Reading:

End Page End Percentage End Phrase Page Count
157 73% [End of section 5] 16

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer/not reading the book

0 voters

2 Likes

Woohoo! I finished way early this week. Hopefully it’s because I’m reading a little faster than when I started the book. I’ll see if I can post questions for this week and last week in a bit.

Seeing Komori again was pretty freaky, I gotta say. Hopefully he’s out of the picture for good and not some horrible creature that can survive a beheading.

I’m also curious as to what Ren’s mom’s plan was. She just kinda dropped him off and left, right?

5 Likes

This section was cool. I like the detail about the talismans Ren put on Kazuki to keep away the 死神; I like when a character is shown to be an expert in a field you don’t even know exists. The mood of this story is getting really good.

5 Likes

I think he was just there to be a bit freaky and showcase what happens to the people who die on the 古道. I mean it matched what レン described would happen if you didn’t ward against it, and he didn’t care about coming by the guy who killed him at all either.

I’m pretty happy about getting to finish at the end of a section. :smiley:

5 Likes

I agree; there’s something inherently satisfying about it.

4 Likes

Cool section, indeed.

Another addition to our list of things to not do in Fairyland:

Don’t get born in Fairyland.

Also, wondering if they bring カズキ back to life, will he still be the property of 古道. I feel like they were maybe setting it up a few sections ago when he was saying that he wanted to stay there and explore, too. I have a feeling that maybe he’ll end up trading places with レン.

6 Likes

Question posting time, finally. Forgive any formatting/spelling errors; I’ve been banished to my phone for typing Japanese text for the time being.

Questions

65%: レンはすぐ目の前にある墓地の風景には目もくれず、カズキの体屈みこんだ。
“Without taking his eyes from the graveyard”?

66%: 雨の寺があるというだいたいの場所もわかっている。
“The place usually called a/the rain temple”?

70%: 母は四軒の宿屋の一つで働いていた。
Is this saying that there were four buildings to the inn?

70%: 決して宿屋が見えぬところまで遠くにいってはいけない、宿泊客が何をいってもついていってはいけない、そのようにきつくいいきかされていた。
I highlighted the middle part, but I’m having trouble understanding the sentence as a whole. What are the repeated ~いってはいけない bringing to the table?

71%: ーー海も街も見えはするけれどね、決していくことはできないのよ。
“I’ve seen the town and sea, but…”?

And that’s it for this section, surprisingly.

1 Like

That’s how I read it as well.

The だいたい is attached to 場所 and it can mean “approximate”. So “approximate location of a place called the rain temple”.

is the counter for buildings. I feel like it’s saying there are four inns, but I’m not 100% :slight_smile:

I’ll leave the rest for someone else

3 Likes

Without “giving” eyes -> without looking.

That’s how I read it as well.

It’s more like he is listing the things she said he shouldn’t do. The same happen in English. “she kept telling me sternly things such as ‘You should absolutely not go out of sight of the inn’, ‘whatever patrons say, you shouldn’t go with them’” (Had to flip the sentence around in English though).

I can see the sea and the town, but I absolutely can’t go there.

4 Likes

Ah so it’s 目+も+くれる?

4 Likes

+ず for the negation but yes :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Thanks for the help, @Naphthalene and @denzo!

3 Likes

Life got me quite occupied lately, but now I’m catching up again :muscle:

A question and a remark from my side:

68%:
周囲に住宅がなければ、古道も普通の山道と大きな違いはなかった。
The second part is clear (the old road was not much different from a normal mountain road), but I keep wondering why the author used ば in the first part. My intuition would be to translate this as As there were no buildings in the vicinity, but if I take ば into account, I rather get to When there were no buildings in the vicinity. ? Does this mean that the similarity only applied to those parts that were without buildings? Or am I misinterpreting something here?

69%:
レンはゴザを敷き、吊るして寝床を作った。
My edition (Bookwalker ebook) has a typo here, I think: The furigana for 吊 is つる but the correct furigana would be つ. Do you also see this in the paperback book?
(I hardly see any typos in Japanese books, that’s why I got interested.)

Thanks for any insights!

1 Like

It’s more “if”, as in you can’t tell the difference if there are no building around.

I got the same ebook as you, with the same typo, so I can’t really help :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Oh! Putting it that way helps a lot with getting the “if” in there :slight_smile:

Thank you!

2 Likes

I have the paperback version and it also has that typo (on page 148).

5 Likes

I just finished part 5. Why does this author love long, boring, and pointless backstories so much? It wasn’t as long or boring as the backstory at the end of Night Market, but I just did not care about レン’s backstory at all. Completely ruins the pacing.

2 Likes