夜カフェ ☕ Home Thread (Beginner Book Club)

hides in a corner

13 Likes

Don’t worry about it. Rather: Thanks for all your work organizing the book club for us!

…it’s not like I’m ready to start with chapter 12 anyway, with chapter 11 being especially difficult for me.

6 Likes

Indeed, thank you very much @sumsum, and no worries at all :smiley:

Ahah, well, there’s probably no need to stress over every detail though

4 Likes

I’m still planning to finish reading this book, but I think you lost me somewhere around chapter 3/4 :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Still on chapter 11. I’m going to try to catch up with the club this week though!

6 Likes

Same.

頑張りましょう :grin:

4 Likes

Almost on time :sheep:

After this it’s only the あとがき left :astonished:

I feel a bit bad because I’m not really participating currently as I’m also lagging behind :cry: I’d say in theory the tempo was right for me, but then life got super duper busy and so I’m like aahhh panic mode! But I still enjoy reading you peoples thoughts when I get to a chapter :heart: So thank you everyone for participating so much :heart_hands:

13 Likes

Since we’re near the end, just curious if anyone is interested in doing an offshoot book club for the next volume? I got my hands on the first five volumes the other day, so I’d be interested in participating and trying to pace along with a book club.

10 Likes

I was thinking of doing the same. Though I would prefer if we set a slower pacing as I would still like to participate in the next “main” book club and keep up mainly with that. But yeah, I’d love to read more of the Night Cafe series for sure.

7 Likes

My opinion doesn’t mean much because I started lagging behind quite quickly and couldn’t keep up. However, from the little bit that I did read, I felt the author’s writing style was approachable and good for learning from. So interest, yes; speed, not so much. Plus, I’m now a book behind.

5 Likes

I’m a few chapters behind myself, but I’ll be able to catch up during the summer break. You’re definitely right though that the writing style is very approachable and that’s part of the appeal.

I’m wondering if we have a break after the first book ends, are people interested in participating? I’m thinking a month or so break and if no one feels like managing the thread for it, I might be able to step up. Just wanted to see if there’s a readership for it first.

7 Likes

I’m undecided about continuing with an offshoot club. I found the book surprisingly hard, and while the story was quite sweet in places, it didn’t engage me too much.

I’m also considering reading Tugumi from late July which is probably going to be a real stretch for me, plus I may continue with Spy Family, assuming an offshoot club will happen.

6 Likes

I am not if I would re-read the volume 1, or continue, if there is an offshoot. Generally I prefer that a book has a theme, to look up, like recipe and stuff.

Before long, I felt that the series is surprisingly hard to me, but it also has a theme for me to research into… (Personally, I am not into food making that much myself.)

About finding a novel, I am getting pretty much commit to TUGUMI, as the primary reading, along with book club. (Although I really looked into it after the book was selected.)

Nonetheless, I can say that months-after-months, my vocabularies surely widen, sentence parsing as well. If I get better and sufficient at reading, deciding to join the offshoot can happen.

About the pacing, I don’t think it is too fast – more of seemed-to-be-too-hard for me to touch the series at all.

4 Likes

I already bought volume 2 so I’ll probably join you for an offshoot club if there is a break of a few weeks before starting.
Each chapter took a long time for me to read, and I promised myself that I’d take it easy for a few weeks once the JLPT was over so I wouldn’t want to jump straight in!

7 Likes

I already read volume 2, but depending on the timing might join in for volume 3!

5 Likes

I’ve been thinking of reading vol 2&3 after I finish zenitendo. Probably gonna start next week.

4 Likes

I’ve been a bit undecided, but I think I’d like to give Volume 2 a chance. The reason I’ve been unsure is because I fell so far behind; since I didn’t really read along with everyone, I felt a bit disconnected from the club and the story. But I think as long as I catch up, I’d like to continue the club!

I think the pacing is fine as is (I fell behind b/c of personal reasons, not b/c of the pacing). But if people want to slow down that’s fine too.

Sounds good to me!

8 Likes

On the one hand, I definitely plan on continuing this series, but on the other hand, I apparently can’t tell when someone’s actually not sure what’s going on and is asking for clarification or when they’re deliberately posting incorrect info for a joke, which is why I dropped out of this club, so. I’m not sure if I’d participate in the offshoot club if there is one or if I’d just read it on my own

2 Likes

Really? I assume it was a mistake because I haven’t noticed something like that happening at all. I mean, we’re all learning so it’s not that surprising for a couple mistakes to occur but I don’t think anyone here is deliberately sabotaging the club lol.

12 Likes

First, big thanks to @sumsum for nominating this book and doing the legwork to run the club, and to @Hantsuki for the massive headstart we got with the vocabulary, as well as providing numerous insights throughout the book. I definitely enjoyed reading along here!

The language was very easy to grasp, either from context or after a quick search, and I only ever had a couple of moments where I felt I had to stop and puzzle over what was being said (mostly the handicrafts sections :laughing:).

Initially, this book was set to be my first completed light novel. I had started another before it, but found my reading pace much slower, and the difficulty much higher. Something here made the way prose works click, though, and ultimately, I ended up finishing my other light novel first! I still have this book club to thank, though, for making this kind of descriptive text (as opposed to the pure-dialogue manga I’ve been used to) feel significantly less intimidating. Perhaps I just needed the easy win to make me feel like I could tackle the harder stuff! :joy:

Either way, I’m currently on the fence about continuing. I have done a very good job of overloading myself a bit with personal reading projects, and while I find the story cute and endearing, the handicrafts sections remain somewhat of a bore for me. :sweat_smile: But if a larger break between starting were to happen, I might decide to join in. Spoilers for Chapter 13: I am curious to see what goes on with Yamato-kun’s move to LA, and how Hanabi and Tina continue to grow both themselves and the 夜カフェ.

So, put me down as a “maybe” for any offshoot!

11 Likes