夜カフェ ☕ Chapter 6 (Beginner Book Club)

I was initially confused by it too, but then remembered that hot water is an entirely different liquid according to the Japanese language, so I reached the same conclusion as you :slight_smile: Hot water good, cool water bad.

On Tina’s reaction (chapter spoilers), I don’t know, wouldn’t you all be weirded out too if someone you never exchanged a word with, maybe never even noticed, had taken your bag, had opened it and seen its contents, had taken the liberty to clean and mend it without asking, and then tracked you down to give it to you? Hanabi has the best of intentions, but it does feel a bit stalkerish to me. Definitely a minor invasion of privacy at the very least. Just giving it back to her (in the bad condition it was in) would have been enough (or, I don’t know, don’t they have a Lost and Found?). After that she could have offered to mend it.

7 Likes

It seems unlikely to me that she would throw away a nice looking bag with a strap and her gym clothes, and go to the effort of cutting (off?) the handle. For now, the details will stay a mystery though…

Agreed! Although Tina seemed already annoyed before realizing what was going on, and her reaction after that was really strong, so maybe there is more to it. And I’m curious about why she didn’t take back her bag at all… including the gym clothes.

4 Likes

The first illustration put a smile to my face. The second one though, it’s really easy to misunderstand based on Tina’s expression, after reading and seeing the lines all over the image it made sense.

It’s good that the sewing part was not important plot wise, it’s way too difficult to understand the details at my level so I just read it once and moved on.

5 Likes

Poor ハナビ, I was so proud of her for using her skills and creativity to help that girl and then…it broke my heart. Curious about a possible explanation in future chapters.

5 Likes

It feels like the story is really starting to pick up now, I enjoyed reading this chapter a lot.

I totally agree with you! While Tina’s reaction was a sad thing to happen for Hanabi - I too would probably be pretty freaked out if a complete stranger fixed my discarded bag and tried to return it to me. And horribly embarrassed if they also washed my dirty gym kit. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

I hadn’t even seen the second picture or realised the handle was cut off by then! Agree it doesn’t make sense. But I did think her efforts weren’t going to be rewarded - everyone looked too happy in the first picture!

5 Likes

Yep! Cold water and hot water are totally different substances, each with their own name. 暑い水 makes absolutely no sense in Japanese: 水 is always cold.

11 Likes

Aha, that’s something I haven’t really noticed before but now that you’ve pointed it out, It makes sense considering what I’ve seen so far

4 Likes

this is one aspect which really demonstrates how deeply engrained culture is with language :slight_smile: (all languages) … just a random drive by comment :smiley:

3 Likes

Except for when it’s 温水. :wink:

7 Likes

からかい上手の @MrGeneric

3 Likes

I mostly agree with @NicoleRauch on the breakdown for the last question. The only thing I would suggest is that maybe ついた refers to this つく. So, “to arrive at wisdom” or something like that. My interpretation is that she is happy about having learned that stuff about cleaning that she looked up.

5 Likes

I thought it might be 付く but with the 4th meaning “to be acquired (of a habit, ability, etc.); to increase (of strength, etc.)”

5 Likes

Oh, I missed that definition. I went ahead and googled 知恵がつく, and you and @NicoleRauch are correct. All the results are for 付く. I stand corrected!

I’m not sure why this method of confirmation didn’t occur to me before, but I will definitely take advantage of it in the future.

6 Likes

Phew, I’m really behind with my second read and asking questions this week. I’m really glad that after next week there’s a break…

ebook page 60:

• バッグと似た色で貝殻の模様の生地ならある。
    What’s the なら there? Something like “as for”?
  • 持ち手の部分は、筒状にした布の両端をぬって、帯のようにしてあるみたいだ。なるほど……。
    According to the vocab sheet, that’s 塗る - “to spread; to smear” (with a few other meanings over at jisho.org), but either my Japanese or my English is failing there. Both ends of this cylindrically folded cloth are… spread, or smeared, to look like a belt? (There’s a later sentence with the word coming up again, which is similarly mysterious to me: 細長く切った布を中表に折ってアイロンをかけ、片側をぬって筒状にする。)
  • ハサミから伝わる、厚めのコットン生地を切るときの、ザクザクとした感触は、ずいぶんひさしぶりだ。
    I’m not sure what the から in the first part is, and how the whole first part translates.
  • ミシンのように頑丈にぬうことのできる『返しぬい』で、持ち手をバッグにつけていく。
    What’s the ことのできる there?

ebook page 62:

• はずかしいをかくすように、一方的にしゃべる。
    What is the の doing there? I would’ve assumed it’s replacing a noun, but I can’t find which noun that could be.
  • ヤマト君はどうしたらいいかわからないのか、目を宙に泳がせている。
    I wasn’t quite sure what to make of the のか there. DeepL translates that the sentence as “Yamato-kun’s eyes are swimming in the air, as if he doesn’t know what to do.”, which sounds really nice, but I can’t find any grammar sources that translates it with “as if” or with a similar meaning.
5 Likes
Answers

Essentially, yes… it’s a weird one. Usually it would be a conditional, but it’s not necessarily always the case. Maggie-sensei talks about it some (use-case 3), but it is hard to translate. It’s essentially similar to a は particle…but with a bit stronger emphasis? It’s weird. Somebody else might be better suited to giving an answer than me on it.

I would have to re-read the chapter to confirm, but I do think there is a ぬる somewhere which is used. (Ah, actually, it’s from when she was first cleaning the bag and talking about smearing soap/detergent, based on where it’s located in the vocabulary sheet)… But that’s not what’s happening in either case here. 縫う is what you’re looking for. That should clear it up, I think.

It’s “from”.

“Transmitted from the scissors” is the first part. If I were to put in natural English for the overall sentence, not caring about the Japanese sentence structure at all:

“It’s been quite a while since I have felt that crunching feeling transmitted (but I would drop this word in English) from scissors cutting through thick cotton fabric.”

こと nominalizes the preceding verb ぬう (hey, there it is again. Almost like this is basically a sewing tutorial… :wink:), when attached to the できる with の or が, this basically means “able to do verb”, so “able to be sewed” in this instance.

の doesn’t necessarily always have to replace a specific noun, I don’t think. It can also just be a generic “things,” by my understanding, and that’s how I read it here… (I’m thinking of もの because I’m dumb, sometimes.) I’ll go back and look at surrounding sentences to confirm that there isn’t something specific it’s replacing, though. So, this answer is to be continued.

Edit: After looking at the surrounding sentences, I think the “embarrassing things” are likely because she is embarrassed to bring up her statements from the previous chapter, since that’s the next thing she talks about. Maybe I’m misinterpreting that, and somebody esle thinks differently, though.

Actually, think I’m overthinking it. The の in 恥ずかしいの is almost certainly just nominalizing the adjective. It’s just “embarrassment”.

“To hide my embarrassment, I speak one-sidedly.”

It’s essentially questioning the preceding statement, in a way… A clean English translation there is tough, and DeepL just took some liberties, but not too far a leap when I think about it, also. “As if” injects an air of doubt about what’s being said in English, which のか also does for Japanese. I would not call them direct analogues in any way, though, just DeepL trying to give a reasonable output from something that doesn’t translate well naturally.

7 Likes

Struggling a bit with ヤマトくん’s speaking style on pages 78-79

怒るべきときはちゃんと怒れよ。= you should be angry when you properly … ?

態度でかいけどさ = is he saying his behaviour is instead of being a burden? Unsure of the grammar here.

4 Likes

Breakdown:

怒るべきときは = “Times when you should be angry” with topic marker は

ちゃんと = “properly”

怒れよ = imperative form of 怒る, with よ emphasis particle.

Altogether: “At the times when you should be angry, properly get angry!”

It’s his way of telling Hanabi to stand up for herself, I think.

Second sentence I’m still not totally sure on myself. That sentence isn’t clicking well for me either. I’ve been mulling over it off and through the week.

7 Likes

でかい means huge. So, “big attitude”. This might be interpreted in any number of ways, but apparently it is a set phrase meaning arrogant/disrespectful. This seems to be a variation of 態度が大きい, which means the same thing. Since でかい>大きい, I guess 態度でかい is even more arrogant than 態度が大きい is. Basically Yamato is saying that he’s being extremely disrespectful in taking advantage of Aiko’s hospitality like that.

6 Likes

Phew, I actually finished my more in-depth reading today. Just in time!

A few more questions:

ebook page 62:

• あ~あ、せっかく仲良くなれるかもって思ったのに……。
    Ah, and I thought we could maybe finally get along”? Or more something like “Ah, and I thought we could maybe get along if I put in effort”? The せっかく is troubling me a bit there.

ebook page 67:

• ふんっ、すましちゃって……。
    Is that something like “Sheesh, give it up already…”?

ebook page 69:

• 「えっ、それ、人のバッグだったのかよ。」
    Is that roughly “Eh, that’s someone else’s bag?”?
  • だからきらわれるんだぞ!
    That’s the reason you’re so disliked.”? Eh…?

ebook page 70:

• そうじゃなきゃ愛子さんちに、やっかいになんかなんねえよ
    I think this is “If it wasn’t like this [=if I wasn’t a hated person], I wouldn’t trouble Aiko-san’s household like this”, but what’s the なんねえよ?

Some stuff I initially had trouble with, but think I figured out by myself - maybe it helps someones else!

ebook page 64:

• なかば、あきらめかけていたら、放課後、下駄箱のところで姿を見かけた。
    That’s probably あきらめ + かける

ebook page 67:

• 背中にバシャーンと水をかけられたみたいだった。
    バシャーン is probably this

ebook page 69:

• けれど、ふいに、クッと小さな笑みをもらす。
    クッ is probably one of those. Maybe a snicker?
4 Likes