命 versus 令

So I’ve struggled for some time to remember the difference between 命 and 令 so I managed to come up with something to help…

命 is fate because you never discovered the fate of the OP.

5 Likes

Maybe try to remember 命令 めいれい?

Sure - it’s just to remember which one is めい and which one is れい.

1 Like

If it helps, 令 is a phonetic component that is generally read as れい. For example, 冷, 齢, and 零 are all also read as れい. I can’t help much with the meaning, but hopefully this helps you remember the reading.

8 Likes

Holy shit. That’s helpful. Thank you!!

3 Likes

I wonder is there a compendium of phonetic kanji?

There’s a script for that somewhere, but I can’t link to it right now because I’m on mobile.(It’s also not installed where I do most of my lessons…)

Here’s the script I use.

1 Like

I mean an actual dictionary.

Can’t help you there.

You can the script maker what their sources were.

If you don’t mind raw data, there’s an open data set here for kanji decomposition:

http://nihongo.monash.edu//kradinf.html

There are Japanese dictionaries, sure. But you need to remember that many, if not most of the phonetic series are not 100%. I’d suggest reading this: https://namakajiri.net/nikki/testing-the-power-of-phonetic-components-in-japanese-kanji/

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve had it in mind to have a go at processing the data I linked earlier to see how strong those phonetic series are. The EDRDG has all the data needed I think - just need some time and motivation…

EDIT: Ah, the link you provided did just that.

I remember 命 with Mei’s legendary skin from Overwatch. Her goggles and hat look sorta like the kanji with the reading “mei”:

7 Likes

I remember inochi 命, destiny.

For 令, I remember めいれい.

1 Like

to me 令 looks like medieval sign post with a long list pinned to it, like this image

and on it REI (seen below) has posted a long list of ORDERS by which to live one’s LIFE.

1 Like

Yeah, me too :stuck_out_tongue:

So after this thread, I think that 命 and 令 are completely distinct in my mind now.

Thanks everyone!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.