久しぶりのビールは、なみだが出るほどおいしかった。— Can you read this sentence and understand what it means?

WaniKani Quiz Time🤓

久しぶりのビールは、なみだが出るほどおいしかった。— Can you read this sentence and understand what it means?
I’m going to give you some hints and then maybe the answer, if you deserve it :japanese_ogre:

Vocabs

久しぶり LV. 3: Long Time No See.

ビール: Beer. This is how :beer: looks like in katakana. Useful vocab for drinkers, right?

なみだ: Tears (the crying kind, not rips in your clothes)

出る LV.2: To Exit. So, “tears are exiting” which means “crying.”

おいしい: Delicious.

Let’s break it down!

久しぶりのビール
“Long time no see beer.” This is just saying it’s been a long time since the last beer.

なみだが出るほどおいしかった
なみだが出る is “crying.” Tears are exiting (your eyes).
The ほどおいしかった is saying something is so ______ that I cried. In this case, it is so おいしかった that Koichi cried.

So, a long time no see beer is (the “is” is the は part) so good that I cried.

The answer:
ひさしぶりのびーるは、なみだがでるほどおいしかった。
The long time no see beer was so good I cried.

Or, maybe a more natural (but less literal) translation could be:
“Beer after being sober for so long was so good it brought me to tears.”

This context sentence is figurative, but has anyone actually cried from having a beer for the first time in a long time (or is Koichi the only crybaby here)? What other 久しぶりの_________s would bring you to tears? :cry:

26 Likes

Oh! This totally explains what happened to me last night then. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

なんだ、そのクソ?

^Quiz 2

1 Like

Thanks for the puzzle :slight_smile: With hints for the hiragana words with which I was unfamiliar, I guessed it was something like “As for long time no see’s beer (a beer with somebody you haven’t seen in awhile), tears exit because it is so delicious.” I’m pretty early in my studies, so it was kind of rewarding to even get that close to deciphering it. Would love to see more of these using progressively higher level kanji.

As for 久しぶりの______s, mine would probably be the cheap Chinese place down the street from my office . . . it can’t be bad for my heart when it tastes so good, right?

1 Like

Once I looked at a bowl of chocolates and it made me cry

5 Likes

I read the sentence as part of a novel, and ended up picturing a man who had been in a tough spot (war, jail etc.) for long. Then, at last returning to society, in the poorest shape he’d ever been, he met a stranger that kindly offered him shelter and beer (the man could use some)
I have a doubt, though: could Koichi be referring to a specific beer? Like, one only his father could make. Or would the sentence be phrased differently?
Because when I think of a “久しぶりの物” that’d make me cry, it would be something specific. Like, a 久しぶりのメロディー. But it wouldn’t be any melody that’d bring me to tears, but that melody.

2 Likes

I have never cried from having a beer for the first time in a long time, but maybe I just don’t go without beer long enough? :thinking:

久しぶりの大好きな本は、なみだがでるほどよかった。

I reread my favourite childhood book. Reading it again after a very long time and realizing it’s still amazing nearly brought me to tears.

PS: You wrote my postcard! Thank you @TofuguKanae ! :blue_heart:

1 Like

kain_adies_martia_by_echizen_momoko-d4p4anf

2 Likes

Great work💮

If “a beer with somebody you haven’t seen in awhile,” it’d have been something like 久しぶりの友達とのビールは, in case you were wondering :slight_smile:

I crave for Chinese foods once in awhile, too! Speaking of which, now I am starting to feel like Chinese food…

2 Likes

I like the story you came up with from the sentence! It’s really visual and it could be a part of a novel or something as you said.

In this case, he was referring to a beer in general, but if you want to specify, you could use その just like you mentioned “that melody”

久しぶりのそのビールは、なみだが出るほど美味しかった。

Depending on the context, without その may work. But if as a single independent sentence, with その, like 久しぶりに聞いたそのメロディー (or 久しぶりのそのメロディー) explains that you’re talking about a specific thing better.

Hope it helps! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is a good example! :white_flower:
You could also say 久しぶりに読んだお気に入りの本は、なみだが出るほど懐かしかった。, etc.

Anyways, is that true? — If so, what’s the favorite childhood book you mentioned?
I actually have the same experience with “I’ll Always Love You” by Hans Wilhelm. (I grew up with a dog that looks like the one in this book and couldn’t stop crying when I reread it for the first time in a long time… ;__; )

You’re welcome💕

2 Likes

Thank you for the feedback! :sparkles:

And yes, it’s true. It was “Under the Hawthorn Tree” by Marita Conlon-McKenna, part 1 of the “Children of the Famine” series. It was mostly the beginning really, since my mother had been sick at the time I read this the first time around.

2 Likes

Yeah, especially when you have a personal/emotional connection with story…:cry:

I’ll read “Under the Hawthorn Tree”, too! Thank you for sharing.

2 Likes

Happy to share! I think I’ll buy “I’ll Always Love You” for my nephew and read it. The description sounds sad already, but like a really good childrens book.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.