Help: Japanese Translations

I couldn’t find a dedicated thread, maybe I missed it, but feel free to post screenshots of anything you are having difficulty translating here.

I know I’ve made a couple threads in the past for specific things, like a tower in Japan that had weird Kanji on it, as well as a package for Kombu. So figured I might as well dedicate this thread to it.

My entry is the following:

I can make out a lot of it, but not enough of it to understand exactly what it’s saying.
For context, it often pops up at the top of the screen in the beginning of episodes of Naruto.

5 Likes

テレビアニメを見るときは、部屋を明るくして近づきすぎないようにしてみてくださいね。

When you’re watching TV anime, please make sure that the room is bright and you don’t get too close.

テレビアニメ - TV anime
見るときは - at the time; when you’re watching
部屋 - room
明るくして - make bright (明るい・する)
近づき すぎない - not too close
ようにして - try to; make sure that
みてくださいね - please try to.

9 Likes

NOW THE BREAK DOWN

テレビアニメを見るときは、= when you’re watching anime 部屋を明るくして = brightening the room 近づきすぎない = not getting too close ようにして = construction meaning to do whatever is modifying よう, often used with a negative to mean avoid doing that verb (in this case getting too close) 見てくださいね。= please watch!

Or all together, what @Kazzeon said!

Edit: ho ho you edited in a breakdown while I was posting
Egg on my face!

4 Likes

Aha!

I was closer than I thought I was! LOL

I didn’t think they were actually saying something like a warning, so I read it like a silly (at least from a western perspective) message along the lines of: When you are watching TV anime, please make sure you have a bright/cheerful spot to do it in.

So I thought it was a more metaphysical type of brightness they were talking about rather than literal brightness of the room. In my head it was like how you are always encouraged to find a peaceful relaxing spot to do meditation, so I thought they were saying if you want to truly enjoy this make sure you have your anime spot prepared! LOL

I was like damn, they take their anime seriously! ^ _ ^

The “try not to get too close” part was completely lost on me…

Thanks guys!

1 Like

Japan is still pretty serious about the myth that being close to a TV or reading in the dark ruins your eyes.

2 Likes

And sleeping with your stomach exposed is the fastest way to get a cold.

5 Likes

Hi all

I was wondering if someone could please break down the above sentence grammatically?

Like doing a sentence diagram explaining the particles used and the conjugations?

Do the explanations given in the first two replies no cover that well enough?

1 Like

It’s really good for the meaning, but I’m now looking for an explanation of the grammar and why it’s used.

My grammar ability is insanely basic for the time that I’ve been studying because I’m in a bit of a loop trap.

I currently work full time and attend Uni, so whenever a semester starts Japanese is put on the back burner, as I barely have the time to keep up with Uni studies. So any time for Japanese is spent just trying to keep up with WK reviews, even though I stop leveling during the semester, as I often goes days without having time to do any reviews.

So by the time a semester ends, if it’s a short break I try to review a bit of the grammar that I have already learned and find I’m really rusty. If it’s a long break I once again solidify what I’ve learned before and have a bit of time to learn a little more before a new semester starts. So I spend most of my time just relearning what I’ve already learned and forgotten…

The above sentence is displayed at the beginning of every episode of Naruto Shippuden, so if I can understand the grammar behind it really well, it should be something I’m seeing often enough that it should really drill it into my skull.

I have a perfect GPA at Uni, but I suck at learning Japanese…

;_;

I linked every major grammar point in my explanation. .-.
Is there anything specific I missed?

2 Likes

Ha, somehow I completely missed the links! :sweat:

Thank you!

1 Like

わたしたちはダラスりょこうのけいかくをもういちどしゃべります

So far, I have:
私達はダラス旅行の計画を
WeはDallas travel plansを…
I am not asking about the particles, but what is the rest of the sentence?

もう一度しゃべります

I’ve assumed that すす is a typo.

私達はダラス旅行の計画をもう一度しゃべります = we’ll talk over our Dallas trip plans again.

What are you reading that’s saying things like that without kanji, though?

A card from a native speaker all in kana.
Thanks for the help, that was a typo. :wink:

P.S. I definitely need to work on my grammar for not knowing what もう was.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.