三ツ星カラーズ — Week 13 Discussion (ABBC)

三ツ星カラーズ Week 13: Pages 95–107

We’re up to our first “one chapter in one week”. The last chapter was about seven pages per week for each half, but this week is around ten pages worth of reading for the whole chapter.

Start Date: 5th of February

Home Thread: Link
Last Week: Link
Next Week: Link

Page Numbers Guide

Due to a general lack of page numbers, it can be difficult to know which page you’re asking a question on. You can use the thumbnails below to see at a glance which page number each is.

Thumbnails with page numbers for this week's reading. (Spoiler warning!)

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur / hide any major events in the current week’s pages (however early they occur), like so: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked
  • Join the conversation — it’s fun!

Participation

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m no longer reading

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

9 Likes

Real world locations! They start off sitting somewhere around here. Top of page 100, they’re running down this road. After that panel, the backgrounds are a bit too sparse to pinpoint exactly where they are, but given where they were the last time I could find them, somewhere around here seems a reasonable guess.

Google Street View is lacking any pictures of the park in full ginkgo leaf season (that I can find), but here’s one I took myself:

And for one that might explain why it’s so slippery:

I can’t say I recall any noticeable bad smells, though.

I’m not completely sure why Kotoha believes the preparation of ginkgo seeds is tedious - according to a few minutes of internet research, you can eat them straight, though as they’re mildly toxic, you shouldn’t eat more than a few per day.

12 Likes

An entire chapter in a week? :flushed: I’m scared, hold me.

10 Likes

Thanks to a couple of easy pages, it’s only a few more pages of reading than each of the past two weeks. You can do this!

10 Likes
Page 98, Panel 2, Sacchan: 一度きりに全力

Me: “my utmost to stop at one”
DL has “I’ll only give you one.”

Page 101, Panel 5, : ふつうに聞かないでよ

Wasn’t sure how to translate ふつうに

聞かないでよ - don’t ask
DL: don’t just ask that

I guess it if I say 聞かないで is ‘without asking’
it’s ‘without [you] ask normally’ which is polished to ‘don’t just ask that’

Just translated 黄色いうんこか without looking anything up… well if there’s one word I’ve learnt from this book :rofl:

Page 107, Panel 2, Saito: くせぇ

what does this mean? pretty sure it’s manga speak …

Page 107, Panel 4, the girls: 来んじゃねぇ

then… next…
DL: get out of here
what is DL on about?

This text will be hidden

9 Likes

This one I don’t have a good grammar breakdown explanation for.

Keeping in mind the context is that Yui gave Sacchan another candy so Sacchan can experience it in two separate bites, only to toss it into her mouth whole like the first time, Sacchan’s response is that she “puts everything (全力) into (に) only once (一度(いちど)きり)”. That is to say, she may have taken it in one shot rather than two, but she really makes the one count.

While “normally” would often be appropriate, it does sound a bit odd in English to say “Don’t ask it normally”, doesn’t it? Thus, I would reword it as, “Don’t ask it in a normal way.”

It’s くさい, but with his normal making certain sounds ぇ at the end.

Rather than the girls, this is Saitou.

It’s not made easy for early readers learning Japanese to tell, since the girls have the first word balloon in this panel, and both word balloons are yelling without a tail pointing to the speaker(s). The clue is that this second word balloon has a couple of instances of ぇ in it, which we only see from Saitou in this manga.

This じゃねぇ is じゃない, same as how くせぇ is くさい. (I suppose Saitou is kind of like the hard-mode boss for early readers.)

Maggie Sensei gives one use for んじゃない as “When you give someone an order or suggestion,” which is what we have here. Saitou is ordering, “Don’t come [here]!”

12 Likes

How does Deepl translate it as “I’ll only give you one” for you? It gives me “Once and for all”, which seems like a good enough translation. Paired with それが私, it’s “once and for all, that’s me”, which sounds like a very convincing translation to me.
Still, I don’t really understand what’s happening. Why does she then stand up in such a theatrical manner? Why that face at the end of the page? I feel like I’m missing something.

4 Likes

If you type multiple things into DeepL (either at the same time or replacing one with another), it will carry the context from one sentence to another. This might be the reason for it.

Tip: If you are replacing one thing in DeepL with something else, first delete what you entered, then wait for the address bar to also auto-remove the text you deleted. Once that’s clear, the context from the prior text won’t be retained for the next text you enter.

I think Sacchan is being dramatic, ending her line with 「それが(わたし)」. Like, “Putting everything into one shot. That’s who I am.”

10 Likes

Ah… ok, yes definitely this. Lazy Sunday afternoon manga translator was just appending to the end rather than replacing each time… will keep this in mind…

答えをくれてありがとうござす

2 Likes

I love how they thought the smell was a dead body. :joy:

6 Likes
Sounds like someone should have been in a different comic series.

Then again, if that were the case, she’d be stuck with some pretty old gaming technology.

i-0146x

5 Likes

Finished this chapter quite early! I have a few questions left, though:

Page 99

To me, there is a contradiction from the second to the third panel. In the second panel Sacchan says something stinks, but then she is saying it’s not smelly? Why is she contradicting herself?

Page 100

I’m not quite sure what Koto-chan is saying here: Even if there is no responding corpse, Sacchan will ask interesting questions. Is this correct?

Page 103

I’m not sure how to fit いうのに into my translation. I believe one of the girls (no clue who) is saying: The whole pond is stinky too! To which Yui(?) answers: It sure is! I believe という is used to quote something they havn’t confimred yet, but what is the role of のに here? Also: Is this a reference to the previous chapter where they tried to clean to pond with natto?

Page 107

I’m not sure what Saito is saying here… What I have so far:
ためえら: you
今日こそ: today for sure
って: usually used for quoting, but I don’t think that is the case here?
本体まで: until your real form?
くせえ: stinky
So: I say today for sure, until your real form stinks! ? Help? :melting_face:

Thanks!

5 Likes

This is negative-as-requesting-confirmation type thing. Hence the question mark. Sorta like “Something smells… actually, it’s kinda stinky, isn’t it?

Two sentences. “If it replied, the corpse wouldn’t be a corpse. Sacchan, you ask such funny questions

Yes, and that’s the context you need for the のに. The ginkgo seeds are edible even though they smell so bad, just as two chapters ago, Yui likes the pond even though it smells so bad.

Also まったく is acting more in its “good grief!” role, here.

Two sentences again - the って is kinda the sound of his train of thought shifting tracks “… Actually, you all stink!

8 Likes

Not sure about this. It’s Yui who’s asking, not Satchan - Satchan is running ahead and not part of the conversation. And I’m not sure how しなくても死体 gives us “wouldn’t be a corpse”? It seems to me more like she’s saying that it’s a corpse whether X replies or not. Now X may be the corpse, or it may be Satchan, I’m not sure.

5 Likes

It’s Sacchan in the previous panel - 返事しろー!

Ah yes, that might be it.

6 Likes

With the ね at the end, perhaps it’d be more like, “Sacchan asks funny questions, doesn’t she?

5 Likes

Oh! I was sure it was the other two girls asking Satchan. Why can’t these bubbles point to whoever’s speaking? I can’t be the only one who’s constantly confused on what is being said by whom…

5 Likes

In this comic, 「あはははは」 beside a word balloon works as a substitute to tell you “this is Sacchan’s dialogue” =D

9 Likes

Thanks for your answers!

Can you maybe explain how you arrive at this translation? What does 本体まで mean exactly? Is it a standing expression?

3 Likes

I don’t know if my interpretation is correct, but I take it to mean something like “you stink to the core”.

5 Likes