三ツ星カラーズ — Week 14 Discussion (ABBC)

三ツ星カラーズ Week 14: Pages 109–123

The page count has increased for this week, but it’s going to feel like a mere 11 pages worth of reading.

Start Date: 12th of February

Home Thread: Link
Last Week: Link
Next Week: Link

Page Numbers Guide

Due to a general lack of page numbers, it can be difficult to know which page you’re asking a question on. You can use the thumbnails below to see at a glance which page number each is.

Thumbnails with page numbers for this week's reading. (Spoiler warning!)

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur / hide any major events in the current week’s pages (however early they occur), like so: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked
  • Join the conversation — it’s fun!

Participation

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m no longer reading

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

7 Likes

Well, this one takes place entirely within their secret base, so no real-world locations to report this week.

Gasp! Kotoha’s terrible secret has come to light!

7 Likes

I am excited for our second chapter in one week. I am about halfway through this week (I started a bit early on it), one place where I could use some clarification.
Starting on page 113 panel 4:

Neither bubble has an indicator who is speaking. I think さっちゃん (not pictured) says “リーダーだぜって言って” my interpretation is that she is saying “Say, I am the leader!” to 結衣. But I am also not sure I am understanding the “って言って” part correctly. Is the って making a quote, and the 言って her ordering her to say that exact quote?
The following bubble is just リーダーだぜ. I took that to be 結衣 speaking because in the next panel さっちゃん says “失敗”.
I see the exchange going this way between two American kids:
さっちゃん: “Say, I am the leader!”
結衣: “I am the leader!”
さっちゃん: “Wrong!”

8 Likes

Yes, that’s exactly right. Although 言って is asking, not ordering. You can imagine a ください implied there after 言って.

10 Likes

I think the key to understanding this exchange is the particle ぜ. This particle gives added force or indicates command, helping give Yui’s speech the 威厳 that they feel she lacks. It is also a masculine speech pattern fitting with the moustache.

So she’s not telling her just to say “I am the leader”, she is telling her to say it in a certain way. Yui then does as instructed and says it in that way.

https://jlptsensei.com/learn-japanese-grammar/ぞ-ぜ-zo-ze-ending-particle-meaning/

12 Likes

I put something on the vocab sheet that’s more of a grammar point, hope thats ok, just remove if I broke protocol.

5 Likes

And to add to this, I’d say the 失敗(しっぱい) meaning would be along the lines of “failure”, as in Yui failed at having 威厳(いげん).

6 Likes

I interpreted it more as Sacchan’s idea to give her the appropriate gravitas failed.

5 Likes

I have a couple of comments this week.

First:

Pg. 118

EMOTIONAL DAMAGE - YouTube

Second, I love that the crossed-out items on the whiteboard reference the previous chapters. :laughing: I’m especially fond of ぎんなんつくり. Seems our girls want to raise more ginkgo trees… most likely for the express purpose of pelting Saito again. :joy:

13 Likes

You have a good eye! I couldnt quite make out the first two. Here’s what I have:

今日のテーマ

• ぎんなんつくり
  • キュ??る
  • カラーズ弱点さがし会ぎ
  • おばけたいじ
  • ねる
8 Likes

チュカブる. It was the title of chapter 2.

8 Likes

Just did my reading, I have some questions, I’ll put them all here at once though I realize it’s a lot (usually more than half of my questions are asked/answered by others before do the reading):

1. Page 113, panel 3: We have そのまま眉間にシワよせて followed by ここう. I translated this to In that way your brow is furrowed which I’m guessing is a reference to her expression is now giving dignity and Aloof or perhaps it’s a stuttered Like this?. Is this at all on the right track?
  2. Page 115, panel 1: I’m not sure how to translate かわいすぎるからつぶしてあげないとと思って, my guess was Because you’re too cute I think you shouldn’t give smashes which I feel is a bit off, though maybe it’s some type of Kotoha brand sarcastic/dark humour? And then would そうきたか mean [spoiler]Can you come see this?[spoiler]?
  3. Page 116, panel 4: Sacchan being her fun idiot self says 高いとこから落ちると骨が折れる. I have no clue what とこ specifically is doing in this sentence.
  4. Page 119, panel 1: I translated ちゃんと言わないと as I seriously shouldn’t have said it implying Yui regrets actually saying Kotoha’s weakness. Is that the gist of it?
  5. Page 119, panel 3: I’m not sure why Yui says あちがった just to tell Kotoha she’s bad at video games a second time. Is it meant to be a joke along the lines of You’re bad at games… wait, that’s wrong, you’re really bad at video games?
  6. Page 120, panel 1: I’m not sure I got ヘタクソなわけが. I had guessed That’s your reason but DeepL gave me “How can you be so bad at this?” or “I don’t know why I suck”
  7. Page 122, panel 3: I’m struggling to parse the sentence 苦手なものが大好きなんてそんな琴ちゃんを私たは. My guess was We love that you’re bad at video games though I don’t feel very confident about this one.

Thanks to everyone for your support with all of these!

7 Likes

Can’t help with much since I don’t have the book but:

とこ is short casual for ところ: If you fall from a high place, your bones will break.

6 Likes
Page 115, Panel 2, Sacchan, そうきたか

that~past tense of くる?~か
DL: now you say it

Page 117, Panel 3, Sacchan, 言っちゃダメなやつじゃないよね

よね - right…, yeah…
じゃない - is not
ダメなやつ bad thing
言っちゃ - ugh can’t remember what the ちゃ thing is

“It’s not a bad thing she said…”

DL: It’s not the kind of thing you’re not supposed to say.

5 Likes

Sounds right to me!

The main point for this sentence’s grammar is the ないと grammar, used to say, “If I don’t —, then…” When the “then” part is left off, it typically has the “bad” meaning, “If I don’t —, then it’s bad.” In If something’s bad if you don’t do it, that means it should do it. Keeping in mind that Sacchan has presented as being too cute as her weakness, Kotoha thought she should break that for her.

This one has a meaning that may be a little more than the sum of its parts. This is said as a response to someone saying something you hadn’t considered or that took you by surprise. The そう refers to what they said, and the きた is it (finally) came to you.

I wonder if an English language counterpart might be “I can’t believe you said that”.

Here’s another ないと. On the topic of finding weaknesses, “If we don’t properly say it…” The “then” part being left off typically means it would be bad if they don’t do the “if” part, meaning they should do that if part. “(Since we’re finding weaknesses), we should properly say it…”

The あ is her catching herself, and ちがった is because she said it wrong. She repeats herself, except she changes the だよ to だぜ so she says it with 威厳 (combatting her own weakness).

わけ is one of those fun ones that doesn’t quote line up with an English word. You can think of わけ as a conclusion derived from some (unstated) reasoning. The type of conclusion is that modifier: unskilled. Thus, I read 「ヘタクソなわけが」 as “The conclusion that I’m unskilled (at video games) is…” Her line directly before this is reasoning to the counter of what Yui said: “I’m playing games all the time, and the conclusion that I’m unskilled is…”

This one can be a little tricky to follow all the parts.

「苦手なものが大好きなんて」 "Such a thing as loving what you’re bad at

we love that kind of Koto-chan!"

ちゃ is a casual contraction of ては:

「言ってはダメなやつじゃないよね」

One use of ては is sort of like “if/then” with an unfavorable result (which here is ダメ). “If you say (it), is it bad.”

This gives something along the lines of, “Isn’t it bad if you say it?”

Adding to this (which is a perfect translation), while it seems like Sacchan is talking about herself as she climbs down off the table, she’s actually referring to Kotoha.

This is the other usage for とこ(ろ), where it can also refer to a non-physical place.

12 Likes

Finished with this week’s reading! :muscle: Thanks to everyone who asked and answered questions! :grinning: All but one of mine had been anwered:

Page 120

I’m not quite sure, if I interpret what Koto-chan says correctly: Sacchan, pay attention! (You’re behaving) diffrently! Is that correct?

Thanks! :grinning:

9 Likes

()をつかう」 refers to paying attention to one’s needs but also taking into consideration. I think she’s basically saying, “Sacchan, don’t be considerate!” since Sacchan was avoiding answering. In English, we’d use the phrase “don’t spare my feelings”.

From there, for the 「らしくない」 part, I’d probably go with “It’s not like you!”

12 Likes

Thanks for the clarification! I just realised I had another question, so I’m posting it here:

Page 122

S122_2.PNG

Is Yui (?) saying: I’m lending you this. I think she is probably offering her a tissue or something?

5 Likes

That is indeed Yui in the final word balloon.

Kotoha is first, as she’s the one who’s crying, with a ぐすっ sound effect alongside the wobbly balloon. Sacchan is second, as she’s the one who calls Kotoha “Kotochan”. That leaves the cheery word balloon to be Yui. Plus Yui refers to Kotoha as “Kotoha”.

We see Kotoha with the offered item on the next page =)

10 Likes

Ah! Thanks! I didn’t make that connection… :woman_facepalming:

5 Likes