ルリドラゴン ・ Ruri Dragon 🐲 Week 2

Things have been hectic for me this past week since I moved. I’m catching up on all my book clubs today, and I just started reading without checking what the readings actually were :joy:

Me reading the first chapter:
Oh, this chapter’s pretty long!

Me after reading the first chapter and reading 2 pages of the second:
Wait, I should check where the readings end. Chapter 1 was long, so it may have been split up into 2 weeks.

Me after seeing I read all the way through week 5:
Welp, I guess I’m taking a break from this book for a while!

Once I saw in the schedule how many pages it actually was, I wondered why I didn’t catch on sooner that chapter 1 is way too much to even fit into 2 weeks, especially for the Absolute Beginner club.

18 Likes

I do that every time, but thankfully I caught myself before I reached the end… then I read some more. I’m like a third of the way through the manga.

6 Likes

I’ll chip in with my own, he likes to bite your elbow when you accidentally forget to consider him as a part of the family dinner

16 Likes

This has truly become the ルリネコ thread

13 Likes

I see no problem with this

11 Likes

Realized today that I had this artwork hanging above my main reading chair. It was fate for these two horned girls to meet! Though hopefully ルリ will keep hers attached…

14 Likes

Hi hi! I’m going to post my attempts at translating here, just for my own practice’s sake. So far it’s really fun, I love Ruri’s not-impressed faces. I am also going back and reading other’s posts afterwards since I know a lot of you will have addressed these points already lol.

p18

学校行くかあ: “I guess I’ll go to school…?”
やばやば: “Dang it!” - I feel like I often see やばい in the context of character going “oh no!” as they’re running late, but otherwise I don’t have a good sense for when it applies!
ユカもう来てるかな: “I wonder if Yuka has already come”

p19

よっし 間に合う: “Oookay, it’s time!”
やっぱ目立つかなあ: “I will definitely stand out”

p20

まあ生えてしまったもんはしょうがないしな
Okay, this one confused me a bit. “Well, since they’ve grown in already, it can’t be helped”. I parsed this one fine but I’m not familiar with しな . Note to self: search in thread later…

“Aren’t dragons, like, flying fantasy animals or something like that?”
“If my dad’s a dragon, then…whoa, what am I?”

p21

“Mom said “龍” first…what’s the difference (between that and ドラゴン)?”
“Maybe…Japanese dragons…like fish?” (I’m honestly not sure if these are related phrases, but I assume she’s wondering about e.g. if Japanese dragons are specifically the scaly serpentlike ones without wings)

“Ugh, stop thinking about it!”
“Heyyyy, Yuka!”

p22

ギリギリ。。。
信号全部青でよかった
“Phew…barely made it…thank goodness all the lights were green”

4 Likes

A good rule of thumb, wherever you would put “oh sh*t” in english, やばい can apply.

間に合う means that she’s in time for something, so she’s not late. So more like “Alright, I can make it” or similar.

That’s two particles actually. し for giving a reason, and な, a sort of alternative to ね.

I assume the whoa is 一体? In that case it’s closer to “what the heck am I?”

たしか is “if I remember correctly”. So something like “If I remember correctly, Japanese dragons are… koi”

7 Likes
For those that come across the koi dragon thing and don't have a clue what's going on

There’s this Chinese legend, the waterfall legend, that can be read here.

Tl;dr for those that are too busy: There was a school of golden koi, and a waterfall that the demons made unclimbably tall. Most fish failed and gave up, but a hundred years later one koi, that persevered, got up it, and the gods as a reward, turned it into a golden dragon. Sorta like this:

So as a result, koi in some sense are dragons (or dragons are koi?), and ルリ isn’t stoked about the idea of being half-fish.

Damn, I forgot my usualy “Here be dragons” joke, and it would’ve been the perfect time to use it :angry:

15 Likes

Wanted to start my proper reading yesterday. But didn’t have time.

(I mean come on, the six nations is on !)

Hopefully I can do that today. This week seems a fair bit harder than the last one.

5 Likes

Ha! Okay, thanks. That’s easy enough.

Oh! That makes sense. Thank you!

4 Likes

Ok so I finished my initial read. Once again, the main difficulty is not grammar, it’s mostly working one’s way through all the the colloquialisms.

I wanted to maybe do a full translation this time to really see the grammar at play, but maybe I should do that on another book. I have that Totoro book that looks perfect for it.

I also realized that it’s usually not that hard to understand what’s being said, thanks to the context, once you get only the main words and the final particle / tone. Although I suppose that also means missing some more subtle meanings.

Once again most questions were already covered by @TeaDrinker3000 and the answers to their message.

I have a few questions remaining.

Page 21

Is this いってたな in the first panel actually a いって いた な (with the ending particle な ?)

Page 20

On page 20, for the しまったもん sentence. I understand the しまった meaning “to do by accident”, but what about the もん ? I don’t see what it is. Or is it actually two particles ?

4 Likes
Pg. 20

It’s short for もの. In this case, not the grammar point that means “because,” but 物 (though, technically, these are related). Literally just a stand-in “thing,” for the horns.

Pg. 21

Yep, you’ve got it.

6 Likes

Thanks !

(And that’s another thing that was actually just a shorter version of something I knew :stuck_out_tongue: )

5 Likes

Hopefully one day we’ll naturally get used to it. I mean, what is “Thanks” anyway, could it be short for “have my thanks” / “thank you”? :thinking:

3 Likes
Pg. 21

I think that もん is this もの, which is a different entry from . I see definition 5 of 物 is reason though, so maybe that’s it. Although that’s a noun, and not a particle.

EDIT: Ignore me, I forgot to check the context before posting. I posted this based on the snippet, but based on the whole line, it’s definitely 物.

3 Likes

I just finished reading this week’s section and I’m happy to say it went smoother and quicker than last week’s. For my first Japanese language manga/book it’s going pretty well and I’m enjoying the story and art :smiling_face:

(pg. 26 content) I thought it was hilarious when one of the boys in Ruri’s class was like “Wow your horns are sick! I’m gonna grow some too!” and the other boy was like “How are you gonna do that??” Lolll

12 Likes

Can someone help me understand what’s happening with this verb on page 26?

Pg. 26

「俺もツノ生やそ」- I’m just not sure what’s going on with 生やそ. From this thread I can tell that the そ is a sentence ending particle, but I can’t figure out this conjugation of 生える at all.

3 Likes
Pg. 26

I think it’s short for 生やそう (volitional 生やす).

6 Likes

Oh it’s a different verb entirely, I see. I hadn’t yet encountered 生やす. That makes a lot more sense now. Thank you!

3 Likes