ルリドラゴン ・ Ruri Dragon 🐲 Week 11

Week 11 Apr 29 2023
Pages 131-150 (whole chapter 5)
Chapter 5
Previous week Week 10
Next week Week 12
Home Thread ルリドラゴン ・ Ruri Dragon

We’re reading volume 1 of this manga as part of the Absolute Beginner Book Club.

015d8981-0c63-4bb7-bf2f-c7edd9a8fe30

Vocabulary Sheet

The base for this vocab sheet was prepared using a fair amount of OCR/parsing, automated by @ChristopherFritz.

Some notes for using/improving it:

• Pages are physical page numbers (they are printed on some pages). Ebook reader pages might be off by a bit.
  • Some words might have been recognized or parsed incorrectly, e.g. they are split even though they belong together, or they are simply wrong and aren’t even in the manga. Feel free to correct/remove those if you see them!
  • Words might be missing. Feel free to add them!
  • By default, translations in grey are auto-filled with a list of possible meanings (from a Wiktionary database). If you know what the actual specific meaning in this context is, feel free to fill it in! (It’ll turn black then.)

Grammar Sheet

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur / hide any major events in the current week’s pages (however early they occur), like so: text here (that’s: [spoiler]text here[/spoiler]).
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked
  • Join the conversation — it’s fun!

The page numbers for ebook readers might be off by one or two. Some pages have physical page numbers on them, and you can use that to find out much off it is for you!

Participation Poll

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book
  • I’m reading this book after the club has finished

0 voters

For our new readers: How are you doing so far?

• It’s going really well
  • It’s going well
  • I’m struggling, but I manage
  • I’m struggling so much I’m thinking of dropping the book
  • I’m no longer reading the book
  • I have read harder manga/books than this one but I still need to click a poll option

0 voters

(This poll is anonymous.)

FAQ

You can find some general advice, useful resources for reading and the FAQ here.

Voice-over Video

Sadly the voice-over videos ended with chapter 3. :frowning:

8 Likes

Small question.

p132

今日はこの辺にしとこか
So I know the meaning, but I don’t quite get しとこか and what each part is doing.

8 Likes
p132

I don’t remember whether I’ve ever seen the う of the volitional being left off at the end, but ておく is regularly shortened to とく, so my money is on it being a casual shorthand for しておこう:

する in て-form + ておく (“to do something for now” in this case) in volitional form (“let’s”).

“Shall we do it until here for now?”

10 Likes

…this is just unfair, this shouldn’t be this cute

The chapter felt strangely difficult to me. Like there wasn’t a lot of text, there was probably less even than in most of them, but the grammar in those felt very hard to breakdown in my head. Lot of sentences like that one from the beginning.

10 Likes

Ah, thanks, coincidentally I didn’t really know ておく either, so I learned something there.

I didn’t read any more yet, but if this is the case, I might struggle here.

3 Likes

wow, okay, that was long. super cuteeeee because we had more ruri and mom interactions, more friends (which makes me happy for now, but my trust issues make me feel like i should be suspicious), and ruri admiring and eating mom’s food >>>>>>

this chapter was easy to understand, but at the same time, I feel like I didn’t understand anything at all :laughing: It was super hard for me to grasp all the grammar. There were so many small and new grammar points that I almost felt a little brain-dead by the end of the chapter.

and why is this volume ending already? i cry TT

p139

先生わたしがドラゴンってこと知ってたっぽいんだけど - is this something like “先生 sort of knew that I was a dragon”?

so っぽい is “sort of”? Because the dictionary says it’s “ish; -like” but I just want to confirm anyway.

p149

ちゃんと持って帰ってこないと次刀型のだから - “If you don’t bring it back properly, it will become a type of sword” or the umbrella will be used to make a new type of sword? feels so random fsfs

5 Likes
p149

“If you don’t bring it back properly, next will be the sword-type one.”

The grammar of 次刀型のだから might be:

(Alternatively I can also see the の being part of のだから to make it explanatory, so maybe it’s not the placeholder の after all. Maybe somebody else has input on whether it’s one or the other.)

You can see the umbrella her mother is talking about in the frame with that speech bubble. Ruri is currently taking out the left one, and the right one is the sword-type umbrella with the ornamental handle.

Not 100% sure how to fit the だから into the sentence though to be honest. Maybe the だから encompasses the whole fragment there, not just the part after the と, and there’s an omitted fragment afterwards? Something like “[Don’t forget it,] because if you don’t bring it back properly, next will be the sword-type one.”

6 Likes
p139

っぽい is the more informal, somewhat childish version of らしい, mostly. There’s a Cure Dolly video on the differences.

So the sentence itself breaks down as:
先生[わたしがドラゴン]ってこと知ってたっぽいんだけど
先生 - teacher
わたしがドラゴン - [that] I am a dragon
ってこと - the fact that
知ってたっぽい - seems like he knew (seems like he was already in the state of knowing)
んだけど - you could probably put an “even though I wouldn’t have thought so” at the end after this
So
“Weirdly teach seemingly knew that I was a dragon”

p149

I wanted to weigh in on this, I think this is what’s happening. Though I wouldn’t translate this as the “sword-type”, rather more like “sword-shaped” (and specifically katana shaped tbh), since if you look on the image:
that katana hilt is the other umbrella.
So put together I think it’s like
“If you don’t bring it back, it will be the sword shaped one next, so [don’t forget it]”, or more naturally “Make sure you bring it home, otherwise you’ll need to use the sword shaped one”

7 Likes

I plugged this into hinative (previous answers, not as a new question and found this:

’ “しとこーよ” is a casual way to say “しておこうよ”
It means like “We should do this.”’

So yup, looks like you’re bang on. (Another answer for backup)

Though my natural translation would be more like ‘Well, should we leave it there for now?’

6 Likes
p134 どっちかっちゅーと面白い - Not sure what is being said before 面白い here?
p140 うおー流石大阪の血 - Probably translating this wrong or missing something cultural (?) but I translate this as "Wow - as you would expect from the blood of Osaka"?
p147 何か発現の予兆でもあれば防ぎようあるんだけどな - Struggling to translate this one properly, I can pick out words but cant really put them together into a sentence. She is saying something to do with the appearance of an omen? And something to do with defending? Struggling here
p149 ちゃんと持って帰ってこないと次刀型のだから - "Hold it properly...(something to do with returning)...(something to do with a Katana?)". I think she is saying to hold the umbrella properly? Like a Katana? Not sure.
Looking in the thread I now see that this one has already been answered so I get it now
5 Likes
p134

It’s a contraction of
どっちかというと
Basically “if you ask me”

p147

予兆 is also just the sign of something. “if there’s a sign that something is going to happen”, basically “if it seems like you inherited something else”, “then we’ll do something about it”

P140 I have no clue about either, I just let it go personally, but I’m also glad if someone can answer that

6 Likes
p140

Now that I think, could she be saying that it’s the Osaka blood that allows her to cook teriyaki this well?

6 Likes
p140 After thinking for a bit thats what I sort of came to as well. "Thats what I would expect from (your) Osaka Blood". Maybe Takoyaki is a big thing in Osaka?
6 Likes

I have been continuing my “reading through and pretending like I understand things”, which is fine, I’m getting the gist and recognizing words I have heard before when watching anime and going “ohhh so that’s what kanji they use?? Iiiinteresting”

Am I the only one that was amused they were playing Super Smash Brothers on the Wii? I have fond memories of also playing videogames with my mother, and they are very treasured.

I’m hungry now, too.

4 Likes

Finished last week reading yesterday, just in time, definitely feeling the increase of pace!
Struggling a lot, sometimes the grammar, more often the contractions (I also tripped on しとこーよ, nice that it was already discussed). I feel like those are impossible to guess, so I’m happy to start the hard work of getting exposed to them, I’m sure it will come to know them and recognize them. I already feel the progress with the proper names, I’ve been able to spot them everytime recently!

Page 135

見えない所でルリちゃん達が頑張ってることだから

What is the 達 doing here? I just know it as the pluralizer but I don’t think it means that there are many Ruris (!). Can it be just used to say “us (including Ruri)”?

あした達が怖がることじゃないかなって

Confused by 達 again, あした達?

6 Likes
p135

Same as 私達, there aren’t many "me"s, unless you are a Star Wars clone. X達 like this is X and the people with them, be it family, friends, incircle, or the literal people they are with. I assume in this case it’s Ruri and her mom or something.

Heads up, you either mistyped it or misread it, it’s あたし
Same thing here, probably referring to either her and her friend group or just like the entire rest of the class.

7 Likes

Ah, thanks a lot. Totally misread there, that clears it up.

7 Likes
Page 136

What is the ”でた” implying here? I get that the gist is Ruri being all like “cut it out” to Kashiro’s playfulness but I’m not sure what the でた is doing here.

5 Likes

If that isn’t this whole manga summarised I don’t know what is :smile:

6 Likes
p. 136

出る can mean something like a certain side of someone’s personality showing, in this case Kashiro’s clingy/overly gushy attitude towards Ruri

8 Likes