チーズスイートホーム: Week 2 Discussion (Chapters 4-6)

Page 40

ちゃんとおちっこれきまちた!

おちっこ = pee

But all the rest? I couldn’t figure out which verb (because I assume it is a verb) “れきまちた” is. Help please. :slight_smile: (Thanks in advance!)

3 Likes

ちゃんと = properly
れきまちた = できました = could do, was able to do

Does that help?:3

6 Likes

Yeah! I forgot about the d’s becoming r’s. Thanks!

1 Like

Page 42

おちっこちたらすなかけちなきゃ

おちっこ = pee
ちたら = したら = if doing
すなかけちなきゃ = must…? (なきゃ is the must part)

I can’t figure out that last verb again. So it becomes something like: If (you need/want) to pee, (you) must ???

Am I on the right track and what is that verb? (I have a couple of speculations but they are probably so far off they aren’t even worth mentioning.)

4 Likes

Yup. Also now finished. I guess it is getting a bit easier with each chapter since I managed chapter 6 without needing to ask questions or reading already asked ones.

I can only agree…

3 Likes

I’m guessing, but すな can mean sand and かける means to cover, so perhaps “If you pee, you need to cover it (with sand/grit)”

14 Likes

I was wondering if it had something to do with sand, but I couldn’t figure out what the rest would be. Also: I just don’t see why Chi would suddenly think of sand when she hasn’t been peeing anywhere with sand or anything resembling sand. Unless laundry is considered sandy.

It’s not just sand, but also grit. Chi was found by her new family at a park where there is probably lots of sand, dirt, and gravel to cover her business with. Since she knows what sand is and what it’s used for, it’s probably not her first time using either the park or some other cat litter textured material.

4 Likes

Agreed. I think it’s a generic term, whatever the material is that gets raked over the deed. :smiley_cat:

2 Likes

Ah, right, that makes sense. Thanks, @Kyasurin and @Viridithon. :slight_smile:

So how did ら become ち in かけちなきゃ? I guess maybe this is just normal Japanese children speak and the author didn’t make it up? Also, a quick check seemed to suggest the correct かける is ichidan. So am I missing some kind of conjugation (aka another tense used than just ない形)? Shouldn’t it be かけなきゃ?

I’m only asking because I assume I can learn something, but if the answer just is “baby speech made it strange” then go ahead and just say that. (How to know when it might be worthwhile to asking about baby speech…)

I tried Googling this, and came up with this:

おちっこちたらすなかけちなきゃ。

this is the baby talk of おしっこしたらすなかけしなきゃ/しなくちゃ/しないと。

すなかけ is 砂かけ. the noun of 砂をかける. in this case, if you add を after 砂かけ, it is easy to understand? (砂かけをしなくちゃ.) (my attempt:you have to cover with sand.)

https://www.reddit.com/r/LearnJapanese/comments/3ay85v/manga_translation_help/

4 Likes

しなきゃ, perhaps?

Also, this: https://www.reddit.com/r/LearnJapanese/comments/3ay85v/manga_translation_help/

GAH! Foiled again. :eyes:

4 Likes

Thanks everyone for solving this riveting puzzle about pee… @Kazzeon, @Belthazar, @Kyasurin and @Viridithon. May we always pee in the right place…

That reddit link had some interesting things about shortening of verb phrases becoming nouns. So in the end I should have mentioned the things I was thinking like is being しない and すな possibly being sand. Because both of them were right. I’ll do it next time (and probably be horribly wrong so the embarrassment does happen! Wiiiiiiiii.)

7 Likes

Well, I have finally got time to read this week chapters. I’m happy I got most of it and deducted the rest from context :slight_smile:

I also helped having 2 cats

6 Likes

Silly Q - how do you make text blurry like that? ^^;

With [spoiler] and [/spoiler] tags. Or push the gear wheel in the edit box toolbar and select “blur spoiler”.

1 Like

Ok can I just say HOW CUTE WAS IT WHEN CHI GOT DISTRACTED BY THE SHOE STRING AND MAULED IT IN (4) 猫、忘れる。 Omgoodness, the author/artists are so great at capturing cat behavior and personality.

Also, I tip my hat to everyone for all the questions and answers! It’s making reading much more of a pleasure.

Anyone else enjoying Chi as much as me and seriously thinking about reading beyond Volume 1? :33

5 Likes

Finished reading chapter 6, I noticed in this chapter that the son starts calling neko-tan Chi but I don’t think it had happened before this chapter. Have I just missed something or is this truly the first time it happens and there isn’t an explanation for it?

Chi is pee :wink:

2 Likes

Oooooh that makes a lot more sense, thanks lol. I feel embarrassed I didn’t pick up on that myself. XD