チーズスイートホーム: Vol 4 Discussion (Chapters 57-74)

Indeed :joy_cat:

I’m sure you’ll feel like it when you’ll get to the epic adventure of Chi and her mentor :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like
Ch69

Don’t scare us like that お母さん! Chi thought that the garden was forbidden ground è_é
And now, she is happy about new smells instead of scared as in the first few chapters =)
P102 => why didn’t she eat the grass? Didn’t the black cat tell her that she should? (v2p109) Or did she tried because of him but did not like it?
A (not so) wild dog attack! Chi uses Growl! It has no effect u_u
If the threat is not visible, does it mean that it does not exist anymore? :thinking: Apparently not ^^

Ch70

Is the dog playing peekaboo with Chi? x)
That face on page 113 xD
AliceThe cat, what’s wrong with Chi and Davidthe dog playing together? Are you envious? Join them then! :smiley_cat:

Ch70

Chi and Youhei playing hide-and-seek, oooww :heart_eyes_cat:
P120 => Come on Chi, you are not hidden when you can’t see him but when he can’t see you xD
Will Youhei find Chi? 次の章に続く

2 Likes

This volume continues being on the easy side! :wink:

I think Alice is a bit of a snobby prune =P

2 Likes

At some point, Chi will bother her until they become friend, as happened with The Black One :smiley_cat: (It’s not a spoiler: I did not read ahead, I don’t know if it will really happen)

1 Like

Yey, finished this week’s reading. The かくれんぼ was strong in this one =^.^=

3 Likes

Oh wow, we have finished another volume! =D

Another set of fun chapters! That ending though, made me sad! D=

2 Likes

Indeed and I would not have minded more chapters in this one (unlike volume 3…)

Ch72

Chi is so well hidden, Youhei forgot she exists :stuck_out_tongue:
Also, Puddi puddi :smile_cat:
お母さん: you should have closed the drawer before leaving earlier!

Ch73

みんな頑張って! You can find her!
That moment the mother realized where Chi could be 「ま・さ・か」 x)
They were lucky that Chi did not need to do what she was named after :stuck_out_tongue:

Ch74

They seriously let a box of (very fragrant, apparently) chicken legs open with a cat alone in the room? Crazy people x)
That ending :crying_cat_face:

I’m too lazy to try to read the Special Menu right now (or ever?)

Soooo~ Do you want a break next week or do we start volume 5 right away?

• No break
  • Please have mercy!
0 voters

I looked ahead and it should be about as easy of a book as this one.
Also, you can look forward to the last 3 chapters :heart_eyes_cat:

2 Likes

This was my thought exactly! :rofl:

1 Like

That makes it twice in the same volume :thinking:
We do see her eat but never drink, maybe her body lacks water :scream_cat:

1 Like

Does she even have a water bowl?! O_o (milk doesn’t count)

Edit: Wanted to try flip through to see if we can see one.
First page I look at is first page of volume 4 (which I had in front of me). Yes, she has one :rofl:
I honestly couldn’t remember if she had one shown or not. It’s always focus on the food bowl :wink:

2 Likes

Dat ending indeed =._.=

Took a quick glance at the special menu, but these crossover manga pages have lots of handwritten kanji/kana that are hard as hell to read >.<

2 Likes

Me neither, thanks for checking :smiley_cat:

yup u_u

2 Likes

It’s a bit early but here is the vol 5 thread :smiley_cat:

1 Like

This volume is definitely starting off easier than the last one finished xD (I say before noticing I’m completely lost on at least 4 sentences in chapter 1)

Chapter 57

(P4)

「新しいおうちがみつかってホソト良かったわー」

It’s great that we found a new place to host? (ホソト) us!

(P7)

「こっちの部屋はやっとだいたい片づいたかな」

片付く (to be put in order) → 片付いた (past tense)

We’ve finally gotten this room mostly in order (packed)! (had to fit that やっと somewhere)

(P8)

「かんべんしてくれよ」

かんべん = 勘弁 (forgiveness)?

I have no clue, they just found the cat in the last box they searched, so I thought 簡便 (simple/convenient) would’ve fit better in a “it would’ve been nice if we checked that box first” way.

(P10)

「引っ越す前から大騒ぎだなあ」

引っ越す (to move out (lvl 34 is twice my current level but it’s good to know I’ll learn this eventually lol))

大騒ぎ (clamour / uproar, lvl 32… sometimes I wonder why I started reading so early)

She’s causing quite an uproar right before we leave huh…

2 Likes

That’s actually ホント, as in “I’m really glad”. I believe it’s been abbreviated from ほんとうに

I agree with your understanding of the sentence

勘弁してください or かんべんしてくれ is a set phrase that basically means “give me a break”. It is related to the “forgiveness” meaning - something like “excuse me from dealing with this situation”, or “please spare me from this situation”.

So basically here dad is asking to be spared from the stress of thinking they lost Chi somewhere and having to look around for her.

I agree with your translation.
I don’t think you started reading too early - even if you reached level 60 WaniKani is not going to teach you enough vocabulary to even read relatively simple manga like this one. That’s why furigana is so helpful for us learners at the start.

2 Likes

oh nooooo, see I thought of that first but I thought it was strange to be in katakana so I was looking for engIish loanwords. I didn’t want to “let the forums” know about my dismal katakana recognition but alas…

I had suspicions he was begging / asking for something since it ends in くれ, so that makes sense.

1 Like

Katakana can be used for emphasis, like we would use italics in English.
本当良かった => I‘m really glad
ホソト良かった => I‘m really glad

I think some people also mix hiragana and katakana to help distinguish words when there is no kanji but I don‘t think it‘s the case here as 本当 should be common enough to be used.

You‘re not alone: I still struggle so much with / and /

2 Likes

Wow, I can’t believe I could read chapters 58 through 62 without needing to look anything up! Super proud of myself rn. Anyways, onto chapter 63!

(P51)

「今度この階に引っ越してきた物です」

今度 (recently)
この階に (this floor)
引っ越する (to move in) → 引っ越して not too sure of this conjugation

I’m not entirely sure, but I think this is saying “We recently moved into this floor, could we give you a (reverse housewarming) gift”

(P54)

「じゃあこちらでも猫を?!」

So there’s another cat here?! (after the を it’s implied something like 住んでいる or いる follows?)

(P55)

「チーと同じ仲間とが思えない」

This one really confused me at first because 仲間 = ally in my head but apparently it can mean members of the same class as well! (also Jisho says 同じ仲間 is a set phrase meaning same group lol)
With that in mind, I think this says “I don’t think that cat was the same breed as Chi”
I don’t really understand why Chi was so flabbergasted since the black cat that was “mentoring” Chi was a different breed and Chi had no problem there…
I’m not too sure what the と’s are doing in this sentence since I’m pretty sure they don’t mean and, it’s not a quote, there’s no if/then statement…

Chapter 65!

(P69)

「チー落ち着かないね」

Chi’s pretty restless

「引っ越しですっかり環境が変わったからなあ」

すっかり (completely)
環境 (environment)
変わる (to change) → 変わった (has been changed)

Since (で, indicating reason?) moving in, her environment has been completely different.

「所在ないかんじね」

所在 (location)

かんじ = 感じ (feeling)

It probably feels like a different / unusual (所在 + ない?) place.
Alternatively, 所在無い means bored so this could also mean “She might just feel bored”

(P72)

「やっと人心地ついた感じかな」

人心地 (calm)

つく = 付く (to enter a state of being) → 付いた (past tense)

She’s finally calmed down

「あわただしかったからな」

あわただし = 慌ただしい (busy / hectic) → 慌ただしかった (past tense)

Well, it’s been pretty hectic “up until” (から?) now.
(I bet meeting all those neighbours really tuckered her out)

「人も猫も疲れちゃったね」

I guess cats get tired the same way people do.

Chapter 67!
The chapter title is 猫、爪を切れられる。A bloodthirsty cat. (A cat gets its claws clipped)

(P84)

「爪の根元をおさえて爪を出すのよ」

爪の根元(the root of the claw)

押さえる (to press down) → おさえて

爪を出す (to reveal the claw)

“Push down at the base of the claw to reveal the rest”

(P86)

「この先の透明な部分を切るんだな」

この先 (from this point)

透明 (transparent)

切る (to cut) → 切るんだ (んだ = contraction of のだ = nominalized form, can be used in questions to confirm assumptions)

“I’m supposed (だな?) to cut up to the end of (この先) the transparent portion right?”

「爪の色が付いているところを切ると血が出ます」

爪の色 (colour of the claw)

付いている (to contain?)

ところを切る (the location of the cut)

血が出ます (blood will flow)

I know it’s supposed to be something like “The colour of the claw indicates whether or not it will bleed if it’s cut” but actually breaking down this sentence is proving difficult…