チーズスイートホーム: Vol 2 Week 4 Discussion (Chapters 30-32)

Join the チーズスイートホーム Book Club here!

Chapters 30-32

NEOBK-1545741
Start date: October 10th
Previous Chapter: Chapters 27-29
Next Chapter: Chapters 33-35

Vocabulary list

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :cat:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

3 Likes

wow, we lost half of the people that were reading along last week :crying_cat_face:

(Warning: I’ll put some sentences I understand without translation, simply to comment on them :stuck_out_tongue:)
Ch30

• (p71) 「きょうへんなのきたよ」
    • きょう => 今日 (today)
    • へん => 辺 (area)?
    • なの => express the state of being?
    • きた => “came” (past of 来る)
    • よ => emphasis
      => Today, he came here!
  • 「おうちきたんらよ」
    => He came into our home!
  • 「チー今日きょうはずいぶんはりきってるなあ」
    => Look, Chi is in surprisingly high spirit today?
  • 「そうなの食欲しょくよくもすごいのよ」
    => Her appetite is amazing as well
  • (p72) 「おうちチーしかいなかったから」
    • おうち => “our home”
    • チー => “Chi”
    • しか => “only”
    • いなかった => “didn’t stay”
    • から => “because”
      => He didn’t stay only because of Chi (lol, if she really is saying that, she is delusional xD)
  • 「そうかー。すごいなチー」
    => How do you expect Chi to understand that she can’t talk to the humans if they act if they knew what she just said? :stuck_out_tongue:
  • 「オトーサンわかった!」
    => Nope…
  • 「そんなにおいしかったのか」
  • (p73) 「ごはん :musical_note: ごはん :musical_note: ベコベコら」
    => Poor hungry (ベコベコ) Chi :frowning: (The :musical_note: should be in the manga :stuck_out_tongue:)
  • (p74) 「おかあさんチーのごはんは?」
    => 黒猫のはかにだよ! (In the black cat’s belly)
  • 「チーはごはんなしょ。おなかこわすといけないから」
    • チー => “Chi”
    • は => topic marker
    • ごはん => “meal”
    • なしょ => I don’t know so I’ll make up something that feel right for the translation :stuck_out_tongue:
    • おなかこわす => even though there should be an additional を, I’ll go with “to get an upset stomach”
    • と => and?
    • いけない => “not going well”?
    • から => “because”
      => Don’t give food to Chi, she will not feel good and get a stomachache? (except she didn’t eat much :frowning:)
  • (p75) 「そうそう今日ね」
    => Right, about today!? (She suddenly remembers the conversation with the neighbor)
  • 「あの大きい猫がまた悪さしたってマンションで大騒ぎだったのよ」
    => The mischief of the big cat caused another commotion in the building?
  • 「サケを盗って行ったりしてるらしいわよ」
    => Apparently, he went and stole a salmon
  • (p76)「本物を見ないと伝わらないか」
    => It can’t be describe to someone that didn’t see it, hu? (not literal, I know)
  • (p78, on the paper) 「入居者各位」
    => To every tenant
  • 「マンション内で猫による被害が続出しています。」
    => Damages caused by a cat are occurring in succession​ in the building
  • 「猫を見かけたかたはご連絡ください。」
    => Please get in touch if you see him (Wanted, dead or alive: black cat :stuck_out_tongue:)

I planned on doing all 3 chapters today but I spend way too much time on this one (and had other things to do) :-/

3 Likes

Hi,
I’m sorry, I’m reading along the chapters but I never post. I don’t have a lot of time, and I prefer reading without checking each word/grammar point that I don’t understand, so I cannot put any translations here (because it’s rare that I understand everything in a page :wink:).
But thanks to all the people that are putting detailed translations every week !!

2 Likes

This is a tricky one, if my understanding is correct. へんなの comes from the na-adjective 変 (へん - strange) Normally, you use a na-adjective by putting adjective-na-noun (変な猫 => a strange cat).

Now, the particle の, among its many uses, can also be used as a pronoun (that is, it can take the place of a noun, either because the context makes obvious what you are talking about, or because you lack information about what exactly that noun is).

変なの the strange one

The strange one came

しか can be a bit tricky to use. しか means “only”, but it is always attached to the “exception” of what the sentence is saying. For example, このパンしかおいしくない means “everything, except this bread, is not delicious”. To use しか as “only” you need to reverse the main verb: “Only this bread is delicious” (Check the example sentences in bunpro and you will notice the translations have this negative-to-positive-flipping too)

Applying this to what Chi is saying, we get Except for Chi, there was no one at home.. The verb いなかった in this case just means “to not be, to not exist”

This is actually なしよ, and not なしょ. なし means “without”, so no ごはん for poor Chi. よ is just our usual sentence-ending particle.

いけない in this case, means “must not do​”. Because Chi must not get an upset stomach.

I agree with all your other translations :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I did the same for the fist volume.
It is definitely less enjoyable (and way more time consuming) to go through each sentence with Jisho and grammar resources but I’m pretty sure it helps :slight_smile:

You can always post to comment on the story and/or choose a sentence you are not 100% certain about and ask if you are correct; what takes a lot of time is trying to make sense of those you don’t understand at all, for simple sentences the longer will be retyping it ^^

1 Like

Ok, because I forgot about that (u_u’), I cut at the wrong place and did not choose the correct へん…

Ok, I should have looked at Bunpro…
With this, the sentence makes more sense and Chi is not thinking too highly of herself (+ it fits better with the 「チーがんばったんらよ」 afterward)

I… how did I mistake よ for ょ? The width would be different…

Oh! right, I missed the “More reading” column on Jisho. You even linked the lesson last week x_x

Yay \o/
Even though I feel stupid for the obvious mistakes, there was less to correct :smile_cat: Also, I didn’t have to ask for help for every single sentence in this chapter x)

2 Likes

Ch31!

• (p80) 「ねこには牛乳ぎゅうにゅうあげちゃいけないんじゃないの?」
    • ねこには => “for cats”
    • 牛乳ぎゅうにゅう => “(cow’s) milk”
    • あげちゃいけない => 上げる (“to raise”) in て-form + は (ちゃ) + いけない (“must not do”)
    • ん => ?
    • じゃない => “is not”
    • の => question marker
      => Shouldn’t you not raise cats with milk? or something like that? (She’s right, milk is bad for mammals after weaning, except around a third of humanity, mainly Europeans)
  • (p90) 「あそびに夢中むちゅうこえないみたいね」
    => She is too focused on playing to hear you, isn’t she? ね?

This chapter was easy, Chi is asking for milk in a loop, not much to understand ^^

Also, she is quite smart to push the food towards the table to get milk, too bad for her that the mother mistook it for Chi offering to share x)

1 Like

あげちゃいけない => this is using the “to give” meaning of あげる, I believe.

んじゃないの => I am not really sure about this one, but I believe this is a suffix you can add to the end of a sentence, and it is basically similar to adding “isn’t it?” in English. If I am correct, the ん at the start is acting as the nominalizer の, turning the previous part of the sentence into a subclause that gets negated by the じゃない. “Isn’t it that you shouldn’t give milk to cats?”, or more naturally, “You shouldn’t give milk to cats, should you?”

Poor Chi, even though all her attempts were quite clever… =^.^=

2 Likes

Yes, of course…

I thought about ん being a の, about the the first part being a sub-clause but didn’t connect the dots u_u’

At least, my translation wasn’t that far off the mark =)

1 Like

I just now found the thread and realized I’m a bit behind (as well as with the other book club (been a bit busy), but I try to tackle chapter 30-32 throughout this week =)

1 Like

I feared that I made you flee when I said you should try to translate a sentence :stuck_out_tongue: (I hope @Abstormal is also simply busy)

2 Likes

Haha, nah. :smiley: I actually didn’t skip any of Chi’s dialog this time. :smiley:

2 Likes

Ch32

Well… I don’t need help for this one :smiley_cat:
What is happening to me? :astonished:

Chi is so cute in the second-to-last panel of p98 :3
Poor father though.

2 Likes

My kitchen/livingroom right now :rofl:

2 Likes

Assemble something, read a chapter, repeat :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I have people helping, don’t think they would be happy about any kind of non-help :wink:
Can’t even get to the mangas (entire livingroom pushed to the side)
But I’ll catch up! <3

頑張って and see read you soon! :smiley_cat:

1 Like

Next thread is here :smiley_cat:

1 Like

My image is broken O_o
Was it always broken or did it die later? D=

I’m still seeing it so it might be an issue with your browser or connection (I can open it in private browsing so my browser’s cache should not have anything to do with me seeing the image)

1 Like