チーズスイートホーム: Vol 2 Week 1 Discussion (Chapters 21-23)

Join the チーズスイートホーム Book Club here!

Chapters 21-23

NEOBK-1545741
Start date: September 20th
Next Chapter: Chapters 24-26

Vocabulary list

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :cat:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

1 Like

Is it that nobody read yet or is everyone too shy to be the first to post? :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll start then:

• on page 8, the mom says 「バターいっぱいぬっておいたよ 」
    • バター → butter
    • いっぱい → a lot
    • よ ~> You know
      So, I’m guessing ぬっておいた has something to do with る (to spread) in its て-form and the sentence would mean something like I spread/used a lot of butter, you know but that would only explain the ぬって part, what about おいた?
  • page 10 「チーがホットケーキしがったらちょっとだけけてやってね」
    • チー → Chi
    • が → identifier particle
    • ホットケーキ → pancake
    • しが → to desire
    • ったら → alternative form of たら / indicates supposition
    • ちょっと → a little
    • だけ → only
    • け → part
    • てやって → ???
    • ね → “ok?”
      => Chi seems to want some pancake, only give her a little part, ok?
      It seems right (poor ヨウヘイ) but what is てやって?

Also, チー 0, cabbage (?) 1 ^^

1 Like

I believe this is the grammatical construction that uses the て-form of the verb + the auxiliary verb おく. This means to do something in advance, in preparation for something else (bunpro link, and Maggie Sensei explanation).

In this case, it is in past tense, so ぬっておいた instead of ぬっておく.

So, Mom is saying that she added plenty of butter in advance (probably because she knows Youhei likes pancake that way?)

My understanding is that てやる is a very informal way of saying てあげる (to do something for someone else). So basically, this is like saying 分けてあげて. In this case, I think 分ける is using the alternate meaning “to share” (Meaning #2 in jisho)

So basically Mom is saying “if Chi acts like she wants pancake, share a little bit with her, okay?”

3 Likes

I’m always terrible with those words for onomatopoeia and words where it’s actually a repeated word like あわあわ and ぎゅうぎゅう. I added them to the vocab sheet for easier lookup. Everything else went pretty smoothly this week.

1 Like

Thank you for these explanations, I really ought to make time to learn more grammar ^^’ (hopefully, I’ll have some free time, starting in a week or two); Maggie Sensei seems to have interesting lessons, I have added the link to my list of resources to use :smiley_cat:

Thank you!

よーし! Now for chapter 2:

• page 11: 「ここあわあわれびしょびしょれやなとこなのに」
    • ここ → this place (the bathroom)
    • あわあわ → bubbly
    • びしょびしょ → completely soaked
    • れ → ?
    • やなとこ → とこ could be ところ (see the other forms) but what about やな?
    • なのに → despite this
    This is the place where I was tortured despite not having done anything wrong? (j/k :stuck_out_tongue:)
  • page 17: 「もすもすお風呂ふろがきらいになったかしら」
    • もすもす → more and more
    • 風呂ふろ → bath
    • が → identifier particle
    • きらい → hate
    • になった → conjugated form of 〜になる?
    • かしら → “I wonder”?
      It should be close to I wonder if Chi is hating the bath more and more

Page 16, that moment when チー gives up but gravity wait before making her fall x)

And where is @Abstormal? :angry:

2 Likes

I was wondering about that too. I am not sure if this is part of Chi’s baby-talk or an actual suffix you can add to onomatopoeia words, though I can’t find anything to confirm the latter.

やな is an abbreviated form of 嫌な (いやな), that can be used as a preffix to say you find something unpleasant. In this case “this unpleasant place”

Yes, I understood those two the same way.

1 Like

I though about that some time after sending my message, I’ll try looking into that later.

Jisho says 嫌 【や】is another form of 嫌 【いや】, how did I miss that? :person_facepalming: (I did look at 嫌 but dismissed it because of the missing い u_u’)

1 Like

I’ve been super busy this weekend :wink:
But I’m here! And have read the tree chapters =)
I really enjoyed these, found I was able to understand almost all of it, and the last few bits fair enough from context =)
When the adults go in text heavy convos I find it much harder =P

2 Likes

Since Chi uses r’s for d’s, I took it to mean de as in the connective form of nouns and na-adjectives, basically functioning as “and” in this sentence.

2 Likes

I’m a little late, but I read the three chapters!
I found them very pleasant to read and a little easier to understand compared to some of the first book.

It’s always a pleasure to read Chi :slight_smile:

Oh, that makes a lot of sense.Thank you for the explanation!

Oh! I missed a れ when trying to analyze the sentence u_u
Using で as “and” would make sense for the first one (bubbly and completely soaked) but not so much for the second.
So, it could be で as “in” and the translation could be something like This (here) is the hateful place where I was (made?) bubbly and completely soaked, although this wouldn’t account for the なのに… could a part be omitted (as it happens often in japanese) and we can add despite not having done anything to deserve it or something similar?

No worries, I was planning on removing the last line when I accidentally sent the message ^^’

Like when they spoke with the neighbor in vol1?

1 Like

In general when the adults are talking, but yeah I guess that is one of them =)
They have a tendency to use words I don’t know at all =P
I’m much better at the baby talk of Chi and Yohei, cause their language is fairly basic, I can usually tell what word they are trying to say.

Yohei improved and uses kanjis now :smiley_cat:

2 Likes

*has to go back and double check *
Oh wow, he DID use kanji! I didn’t notice! =D

Week 2 thread is here!

1 Like