シメジシミュレーション | Week 4 Discussion 🍄

Chapter 4: かたち

Pages 41 - 50

Start Date: 17th October
Last Week: Chapter 3
Next Week: Chapter 5

シメジシミュレーション Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along :mushroom:
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

4 Likes

Well, that was… ah… curious.

Some interesting panel borders, too.

2 Likes

Yeah, it takes some remembering :sweat_smile:

I’m just catching up on chapter 3, so hopefully will be able to get to this one this weekend :blush:

2 Likes

I think you got the overall meaning right ^^

弦を張ってないギター
strings-not-affixed guitar
guitar without strings

The spreadsheet had 弦 as “stringed instrument,” but I think here it’s just “string” (like the string of the stringed instrument)

I think the meaning for たまたま was off in the spreadsheet too - it said “occasionally,” but I think the “by chance” meaning is what was intended in this case.

“By chance, I brought a guitar without strings today” (which, :rofl: ok weirdo)

Summary

On the paper it says かなしいたけ
悲しい(かなしい)+ しいたけ (like shiitake mushrooms)

I honestly laughed out loud when I understood this :rofl: This comic is so my style of humor xD

Should be すくなく, I think (conjugated 少ない)

8 Likes

Does Mogawa sensei have a mushroom growing above her left ear or is that just a hair clip?

This was a funny chapter. I’m starting to enjoy this 4-koma format with a punchline at the end of most columns.

I love the drinking through the hole in the fence!

6 Likes

Great chapter. Something about the guitar and oscilloscope group had me cracking up. I also loved もがわ先生’s speech about the tree so closely following her nihilistic rant from the last chapter.

6 Likes

They’re the same girls who were talking about Potapotamian culture and the liminality of divinity back in chapter one, so they’re definitely coming across to me as absurdly intellectual. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Loving the weird humour that gives you something to think about.

One question, what is っしゃした (page 43) short for?

いらっしゃいませ. Which is to say, it’s the clerk speaking again.

Or… considering the girls are standing outside, maybe ありがとうございました?

2 Likes

Yeah, I wasn’t sure. It ends in した, so I didn’t think いらっしゃいませ would work. ありがとうございました came to mind, but I thought しゃした might be a slurred しました maybe?

1 Like
I have a problem with the message from the very last panel:

There are some things you can tell through shape and colour, but there are also some unknown things, but maybe it’s okay for some things to remain not described?

I agree with your translation of the first box, but for the second one I rather read it as „but it’s probably ok to have these unknown things“. Does this help? If not, what exactly are you struggling with?

1 Like

On a related note, I’m curious as to the connection between the narration lines and the fact that she’s looking at the model of her mother’s face.

2 Likes

Hmmm, but is it “ok” as in “I don’t mind if they are unknown” or is it even better if they are unknown, because it is fun to have some mysteries in life?

Oh, yep, that too. I’m just guessing that her mother’s face is the sample of an unknown thing here.

3 Likes