シメジシミュレーション | Week 7 Discussion 🍄

Chapter 7: さんぽ

Pages 77 - 86

Start Date: 7th November
Last Week: Chapter 6
Next Week: Chapter 8

シメジシミュレーション Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along :mushroom:
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

3 Likes

For a moment, I thought this was going to be the story of how she became a hikikomori in the first place, until I noticed she already had the mushrooms.

My favourite lines

That cat’s taking it easy too.
Oh, it’s a cat-shaped rock.
Well ok, that cat-shaped rock is taking it easy too.

11 Likes

Every time a new character is introduced they’re even weirder than the previous new character :grin: Though shouldn’t the girl with the stick be in school too?

4 Likes

Yep, totally agree with the weirdness of the characters :slight_smile:

I thought she was older… Also didn’t she say that the stick business was her work?

Also, I like the town a lot, it’s really disorganized… My favourite scene was when she said “I feel like I could walk straight ahead forever” or something, and in the next pic she ends up in that dead-end street :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10 Likes

She’s clearly a police officer. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Yes, she totally looks like one, too! :laughing:

6 Likes

Page 77

朝ごはんを食べたらお腹がいたくなった

I spent far too long looking at this sentence thinking that it feels like it should mean “when I ate breakfast” but I’m sure that 食べたら means “if I ate”.

After a bit of searching I found this on Tae Kim that explained why it does indeed mean “when I ate”.

Summary

The past conditional is the only type of conditional where the result can be in the past. It may seem strange to have an “if” when the result has already taken place. Indeed, in this usage, there really is no “if”, it’s just a way of expressing surprise at the result of the condition. This has little to do with conditionals but it is explained here because the grammatical structure is the same.

1. 家に帰ったら、誰もいなかった。
    When I went home, there was no one there. (unexpected result)
  2. アメリカに行ったら、たくさん太りました。
    As a result of going to America, I got really fat. (unexpected result)

Page 80
間違ってるような気がする

The vocab sheet listed 気がする as “to have a certain mood or feeling; to have a hunch” - but I think this might be the expression ような気がする, meaning: (I) think (that); (I) have a feeling (that); (I) fancy (that).

So I translated this as - I think that I’m making a mistake.

If that sounds right I’ll update the spreadsheet.

Page 80

Regarding the cat

略してねこっぽ石

For short it’s a: ねこっぽいし? ねこっぽせき?

I this is a pun or do Japanese just really like contracting phrases?

7 Likes

I’m guessing あじやき is not a real thing? Only picture that matched the manga on my image search was a website selling a mouse mat based on this manga!

6 Likes

I‘ve never heard of it (nor seen it in Japan) :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

The Japanese really like contracting things. I’m not sure why she does it here, though.

あじフライ is a real thing. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Whoa, I think I just overlooked it when reading that chapter, but that sounds like a nice pun :slight_smile:

ねこっぽいし “because it’s like a cat”

Maybe?

5 Likes

Loved the cat-like rock! The backgrounds are probably my favorite thing about this mangaka’s artstyle, so I really liked this chapter and the messy neighborhood.

two questions :^)

Page 80
なんかいつもと違うものに出会えるかもしれない → really confused by the use of the と particle and the 出会える in potential form followed by かも. I can guess the meaning as “How can I always run into strange things?” or something of the sort but :thinking:???

Page 85
たとえばつかれた時はあれをね → Is she just… omitting the verb to do and then putting the ね particle? I looked it up and found out you can omit full verbs in casual Japanese if the meaning is implicit, but the ending particle threw me off

3 Likes

Xと違う = different to X. (The antonym also uses the same structure - Xと同じ = same as X.)

So it’s more like “Perhaps I may run into things different to the usual.”

No, the verb’s there, down in the fourth panel. She’s just pausing the sentence, and inserting a ね as a filler noise, like someone going “y’know” in English.

7 Likes

What does って add to the meaning of that sentence in that case? I thought that was picking up うおー from the previous panel.

うおーってやる楽しいよ
Going “whoooo” is fun!

So I figured that the second pane did leave out a verb.

1 Like

I read it as more like

たとえばつかれた時はあれをね
For example, when I get tired, then that, y’know…

うおー
Blargh!

ってやると楽しいよ
… doing that is fun.

4 Likes

Lol I was looking at the panel for half a minute trying to figure out where the cat was. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Same here :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

This reminded me of the かなしいたけ in chapter 4, so maybe it’s a similar pun?

I quite enjoyed this week’s chapter, one of my favourites so far :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That makes a lot of sense! Thank you (and you too, @Phryne) :blush:

Just want to make sure I understand the takeaway of this chapter.

でも、道でも電柱でもちゃんとしてるのは疲れるだろうし、たまにはめちゃめちゃになってもいいもいいのかもしれない。
Even the streets and electric poles probably get tired from doing exactly what they are supposed to do. Every once and awhile, it’s okay to be a little different.

1 Like