コンビニ人間 Home Thread (Intermediate Book Club)

Please add this, you clearly know what you are doing. :grinning:

6 Likes

Added it! Could you fill in the info about the discord reading sessions (I just put [info] cause i don’t know what to write)

5 Likes

Love the description! :smiley:

6 Likes

@NicoleIsEnough totally unrelated…

Summary

And forgive me if I’m wrong (and no PMs to send this in). I’m a friend of Jouni’s, you’re that Nicole, right? I think I heard about you once or twice. I had suspicions when I saw you on Kino’s threads. I only know 3 things: name, DC, and Germany, and all those things happened to be there in your profile. So I had to make sure :sweat_smile:

If the first 11 pages is any indicator, I think this is going to be pretty good. The writing style was simple, but good (to the extent that I can tell), and so far I like the characterization of the main character.

11 Likes

@mrahhal more unrelated…

Summary

Sorry I was busy and forgot to reply! I think I’m not the one you’re looking for, sadly, as I don’t know anybody called Jouni :frowning:
(and I don’t really know what DC might stand for…)

I hope you’ll find the right person one day :slight_smile:

Summary

Ouch. It was too much of a coincidence I was so sure. Sorry to bother then :joy:

Thanks ;-;

1 Like

You know you’re reading a real book when the author doesn’t bother putting furigana next to most of the names.

6 Likes

I end up calling most characters in 新世界より なになにさん in my head because I can’t read their names :joy:

At least all the main characters do have furigana the first time their names show up, but there are quite a few later on who don’t. Most times I can’t even tell if it’s a man or a woman…

7 Likes

At least with Shinsekai yori you can check an anime page for many of the characters.

I looked up the main character’s first name for Konbini because I didn’t see the reading anywhere. (It’s Keiko by the way.)

6 Likes

Got talked into hopping on board for this by @Kyasurin (albeit it didn’t take all that much :joy:) and looking forward to it! Just got my book in yesterday so I’m all in.

銭天童 ended up being much easier than I expected for my first attempt at reading an actual book, so I’m excited for the challenge this one should provide. And the read-aloud sessions fit my schedule way better this time around, so I’ll be joining in for those as often as I can, as well! (I may miss July 7th, since that’s the JLPT and I’ll be making my way home from the testing center. We’ll see.)

10 Likes

Heya :slight_smile: I will also miss the July 7 session due to JLPT (I will be right in the middle of it, so if maybe everybody who participates in the reading session would like to shed a thought for me and the others taking the test in Germany :wink: ) After that, I’m looking forward to joining the reading sessions as well!

3 Likes

I won’t make it to the first session either for the same reason. We can do a live book discussion in Düsseldorf instead :wink:

But I hope I can make it to the one after that, looking forward to it!

5 Likes

I’m looking forward to starting officially, though I will likely be done week three’s section by the time we start. :smile:

9 Likes

Haruhi is too hard and I have no self control, so I’m in I guess?

12 Likes

My copy also arrived yesterday! I’m looking forward to reading with everyone~ :blush:

6 Likes

I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to read the first few pages. Read as in I can pronounce and understand the kanji and kana but not necessarily get the full meaning. I’m so much better at parsing sentences than when I started キノ。

9 Likes

Excuse me for asking what might be obvious, but it seems we will be reading Convience Store Woman (コンビニ人間)。

Where and when will we interact about the book? Does this effort need some volunteers? I’ve started reading it, and am gratified to find that the reading is easy and the book is interesting.

I am at level 53, btw.

4 Likes

I‘m assuming this will work like the other book clubs. That means that on the start day of a given week, someone (probably @Sylph since they created this thread?) will create a weekly thread to discuss the content for the given week.
So on the 29th there will be a thread for week 1.

In addition to that, there’s also a Discord read along group, the info about that is in the first post. :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

I bought both a tiny paperback version and the Kindle version, both in Japanese. I’m started slowly reading a bit and it doesn’t seem too bad.

7 Likes