コンビニ人間 Home Thread (Intermediate Book Club)

Sadly it turns out Sunday evening isn’t the best time to deal with social anxiety so I won’t be joining you all, but I’m glad to see people like it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

But you did so well that one time you showed up for Kino!

6 Likes

Anxiety sucks! We will send friendly book club buddy vibes in your general direction, even if you are not there.

And for anyone feeling apprehensive about speaking but still curious about what goes on - you are always welcome to just lurk and listen. :smiley:

6 Likes

Everyone should just remember that I kept saying that I wouldn’t participate and now they can’t get me to shut up.

11 Likes

I’m starting to really look forward to this book club. I’m considering starting to read the book a little bit earlier since I will be quite busy the first 3 weeks of the book club and maybe that will help me to keep up with the pace.
Is anyone else starting a bit sooner?

I also just realized that I had incorrectly converted “9:30pm JST on a Sunday” to my local timezone so in theory, if I have time, I could join you. In practice, I’d probably panic instead and would not want to force anyone to listen to me reading Japanese aloud. Reading silently on my own is improving but me reading out loud is just painful to listen to.

But either way: looking forward to the week 1 thread! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I have to admit I already started reading, and made some Anki cards already for the first week, because I found a few words without furigana that I didn’t know the reading of :smiley:
Also since we’re starting before the JLPT, I will have more time to study for that on the first week of the book club.

You can always just listen in first if you’d like, we’d love to have you! Also, there’s no pressure to read at a certain speed or to know all the kanji, we’re all there to improve and help each other :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I have also started reading now, because why not? :sweat_smile:

Yesss! Please come! :grinning:

It feels really weird not having book club on this evening. I enjoy the chit chat as much as the reading aloud.

9 Likes

I’m surprised people didn’t join just for the chit chat. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Maybe they did!
I just haven’t been into Discord this evening to check. :joy:

1 Like

I think I’ll really have to at least listen in to you guys when I have time, even if it is just for the chit chat. :smiley:

There is always something one is supposed to be doing at Sunday 13:30 but I hope I’ll find the time to join you guys, it sounds fun! (the scary kind of fun but still fun)

8 Likes

You should definitely come! And don’t be too worried about reading. I’m nervous every time, but everyone is always really nice. (Cue anxious laughter every time I make a mistake.)

6 Likes

Same here! Especially when someone like @sigolino comes along and reads everything perfectly. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Haven’t joined any reading aloud before, so maybe I’ll try to listen in as a start this time around XD

You’ll be adding the schedules in each week’s thread, right?

5 Likes

That turns out to be 8:30 am EST so I should be able to join too :grinning: its a good reason to wake up early on Sundays, and I’d still have the rest of the day to finish up schoolwork. @seanblue Do they usually last an hour-ish?

3 Likes

The Kino ones usually were about an hour of book reading and another 15-30 minutes of random conversation. But we’ll be reading fewer pages for コンビニ on average, so it could be shorter.

That’s true, but I do kind of miss sleeping in on Sundays. :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

Just to avoid timezone confusion (had enough of that myself when this reading thing started :sweat_smile:) the reading club will start at 14:30 German time (which I believe is the same as Austrian time…?) during summer.

4 Likes

oh that is even better. I can’t believe I managed to misconvert it twice! :woman_facepalming: thanks :grinning:

3 Likes

@Kyasurin to avoid time zone confusion we could add a in-your-timezone link to the first post along with the discord start time. Something like this:

9:30pm JST on Sundays (in your timezone: Sunday, July 7, 2019 12:30 PM TZ )

(I set the date to July 7th and recurring every Sunday just for example)

6 Likes

Wooooow, how do you do that?

6 Likes

Its the calendar icon on the top right. I need it cause between traveling and daylight savings I can’t keep track of timezone differences :sweat_smile:

5 Likes