よつばと! Vol 8 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

ので = because. Don’t completely recall the context here, but I’m guessing it’s “because I’ll do my best (you should give me candy)”. I’ll confirm that when I get home.

Yeah.

It’s just 取る, innit?

通る. :slightly_smiling_face:

Lemme get back to you on this one.

目が覚める. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thank you so much Belthazar! It’s amazing… it took me about two hours reading those few pages, and you answer all my questions in just ten minutes! I’m in serious awe of your (and Kazzeon’s) knowledge and kindness. Thank you so much!

2 Likes

Oh! I had misunderstood that. :joy: Thanks for the clarification. :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, Jisho.org: Japanese Dictionary. :stuck_out_tongue: Weird that you didn’t look that one up, @Belthazar

1 Like

Wow, thank you too Kazzeon! Much appreciated!

1 Like

I really don’t think you lack knowledge, you just… ah… if I can think of some way to put this nicely you seem to struggle at intuiting the dictionary form of conjugated verbs. Or putting kanji to a stream of kana.

I don’t have the book on me, so I wasn’t too clear on the context. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

You’re almost at the end of the chapter! @marcusp

I was thinking about something like joining a Discord call when you read so you can ask any questions you have at the moment, but then I remembered that’s the point of this thread. :joy:

I’m too attached to the idea of teaching things or explaining doubts that I forget what I was doing. :stuck_out_tongue:

Although perhaps it would be faster for you to read that way? But still, probably not better in the long run since writing things out sometimes helps understanding them, and there’s also learning to look stuff for yourself at times. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I still think that discord thing is a great idea and I’m sure that if we started, others would get involved too. Personally, I’d prefer to do it with an earlier volume, but another possibility would be to switch to discord (if we could find a regular slot each week that we can all make) do no the next volume!

I like the optimism, but most Discord channels I’ve joined usually die in like a few weeks. :joy:
But I guess this one would have a specific purpose, so it’s less likely.
But it also removes the convenience of being able to comment and receive replies at any time, instead of getting everyone together one day.

I’d say it’s a good idea for a different book club
so people have that schedule going in.

So, I guess it’s more or less like you say, starting from an earlier volume, and continuing the latest volume here? No?

1 Like

Yes, I think you are right. Best to keep this club going as it is (but I wish there were a way of bringing in new people, not that I don’t love you guys, but we need a few more readers here) and consider a discord read as a whole different project (for a different book, or else for vol.one I’d say).

1 Like

@Belthazar He doesn’t love us anymore. :sob:
Hey, we got @windupbird scheduled for next volume. :stuck_out_tongue:
Also, extremely unlikely to get new people on volume 9. :joy:

I was going to say we can post the idea on the main thread, and then start doing it and tell people they can join us, but I don’t know why I’m reluctant about new people. :eyes:
Schedules, and getting everything ready can be a little annoying (even more when there’s more people). :sweat_smile:
I’m also reluctant about more responsibilities. Ignoring I’m behind on every other book club. :stuck_out_tongue:
But I guess I could make it work.

3 Likes

Indeed! Before you know it the thread is unbelievably long, there have been dozens of pointless polls, hours of your life wasted, and the hundreds of people who signed up are no-where to be seen! I don’t blame you for putting this off!

:love_you_gesture:

1 Like

Too real. :joy:

1 Like

I managed an hour in the library today, and here are the questions it produced… Thank you in advance for any help you can offer!

Page 174, 6th frame - なんか こーんなの するやつ, I really am lost here. “Do something like this”?? Likewise with そりゃいけん, I have no idea at all.

Page 178, first line of dialogue - なんだ 見てたのか. Okay, at first I thought the たの was to indicate emotion, admiration, emphasis, etc, only much later did I realise that there is a missing い, ie 見ていた, which is the past of 見ている. Took me ages… am I right?

Page 179, frame 5 - なかせるきか, I suppose the first bit is 泣かせる, and か is a question, but what is the き doing there?

Page 180, frame 6 - はきわすれてる, I guess the はき comes from 履く, but why is it はき and not はく?

Page 183, frame 4 - what is the かけ before 声?
Page 184, frame 2 - what is the かい before 声?

Page 187 - どれか ひとつでなく, I look at this, I think I see words that I know (which, one thing) but then I’m lost. でなく - any ideas?

Page 188, final frame - is dad suggesting a trip to the nearby shops, or have I read this all wrong?

Finished the chapter! It was long, but lovely! Everyone managed to behave themselves (if your ignore Yotsuba’s hilarious slapping of someone’s bum!), Miura’s dance was superb, there were appearances by loads of old characters (some I know, some I just feeeel like I might have seen before) and it was great fun!

Just one more to go before I catch up!

2 Likes

Yep, that’s basically it.

それはいかん. Like “That’s no good!” or “oh no!” or something.

Yep. “What? You were watching?”

This is 気 as “intent”. “You trying to make me cry?”

Compound verb. V-stem + 忘れる = forget to (verb).

掛け声

It’s でかい. :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s ひとつで+なく - it’s not just one (thing). I confess I’m not quite sure precisely which type of で is being used here, though…

No, he’s suggesting they go look around at all the festival stalls. Like the ones actually in the panel. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Oh my goodness, Belthazar, thank you so much! Your answers are so clear, and so useful! Thank you! I really appreciate it! (And that last one! How could I have not figured that out?! I’m blind sometimes!) Thank you so much again!

2 Likes

Page 196

Frame 1

予定たててんのか えらいな - at first I couldn’t figure out if this was 立てる, to stand up etc, or 建てる, to build, but then I found 立てて can also mean especially; particularly; wholeheartedly.

I’m still lost with the kana, but perhaps the ん is explanation and the のか is endorsing and questioning the preceding statement.

So altogether we have “It is great/admirable that you have built/erected a plan”, or perhaps “it is great/admirable that you have a wholehearted plan”?

Frames 2 and 3

Yotsuba looks shocked and says よてい!? これよてい!? “Plan?! This is a plan?!” Dad replies with “that’s right, that is a plan”. Yotsuba then looks admiringly at one of her packets of sweets and says to herself “a plan?”

So, what is going on? Has Yotsuba surprised herself by being so organised? Or did she not know the word よてい before? Or did she not realise that this word would apply to the organization of sweets?

I also wondered if there might be another meaning to よてい and found 輿丁, which perhaps kind of links in with the last chapter. But I just don’t know.

Frame 4

Dad says “today, from now, our plan is to go shopping”. Is he teaching her the word よてい in using this sentence? His face looks like it is in teaching mode and the sentence seems more formal than it would usually be.

In any case, Yotsuba relies with そうだったのか! “Is that right?!” (By だった is past tense, isn’t it? I wonder why she uses past tense).

Then she adds じゃあかいものにいかないと, which sounds to me like “well then, shopping, don’t go, with”. Google translate tells me it is “then, I have to go shopping”. I have no idea how it made that leap!

Frame 5

Yotsuba is packing away her sweets and says おかしは しまっとこー, which I think means “time to put away the sweets”, but I’m not sure why it’s とこ rather than とき.

Frame 6 - two more sentences with よてい

なにかうよてい? - what do you plan to buy?
秋の服を買う予定 - I plan to buy autumn clothes (the only sentence on the whole page I am entirely confident about!)

Blimey, what a difficult page! Well, for me at any rate! Thank you for any help anyone can offer!

1 Like

Probably 立てる #4. to make; to establish; to set up; to develop; to formulate​

Then, the sentence is 予定立てているのか えらいな :slight_smile:

Your translation is correct. :stuck_out_tongue:
“It is great/admirable that you have built/erected a plan”

Although I think these are two sentences.
“Oh, you’re making a plan? That’s great.”

The よていかー is more like, “A plan, huh?”
Other than that, it seems that Yotsuba has heard the word before, but didn’t really know what it meant, and now she related the action of planning to the word, so she’s like, “So that’s what it is.”
You can more or less figure this out since she uses the word a lot from there on. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think it may be implied that either Dad had already told her what they were doing today, and he’s just reminding her while using the new word. Like, “The plan for today is to go shopping.”, or that he had already planned it, and is just telling her now.
And she’s like, “So that was the plan?” or, “Is that right?” (Basically the same.)
“じゃあかいものにいかないと” “Then, we have to go shopping.”
Remember the part where Yotsuba has to cross the bridge to give 風香 some milk? :stuck_out_tongue:

おかしは しまっとこー → おかしはしまっておこう (Volitional; It’s always between 9 or 10 :sweat_smile:)
“Let’s put away the sweets.”
Remember っと can be ってお, you also usually see it a lot with っておく. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:bowing_man:

Thank you so much Kazzeon!

I have no idea what your actual job is, but you ought to be a Japanese teacher! You’d be brilliant! And your memory! Amazing! Thank you so much, I really appreciate all your help.

1 Like

She definitely seems to have an idea of vaguely what a plan is, but it seems like she’s surprised at how easy it is to make one. Maybe? Though now we’re talking character interpretation, and I’m on more shaky ground there. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I wish! :stuck_out_tongue:
I’m thinking about studying for the N3 next semester, and then I’ll think about it for some more. :slight_smile:

1 Like