よつばと! Vol 8 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

Nearly there…!

Page 199 - せいがでますねー - is this 精が出ますねー, meaning something like “hard work!”, perhaps?

I think it must be, because (1) dad then says she is getting to know lots of difficult words, and then (2) she said she heard the woman in the field say it!

Page 203 - なにが そこまで, I’m pretty sure I know each word (what, there, up to), but can’t quite work out what he is saying here.

Page 206 - in the first frame dad is obviously saying “you are good at finding them Yotsuba, I haven’t found even one”, but can someone remind me of what exactly this らん ending is?

Page 209 - あのはっぱ いっこだけ あかい! - “that leaf is the only one that is red!”, no problems there, but I can see that the rest of the page is going to be a challenge. Pity to stop now, but I must. Only a few pages left, I’ll hopefully come back to it later!

Thank you again Kazzeon and Belthazar!

Haha! :joy:

:stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t really know how to translate it literally, but it’s something like, “Why go that far?”

見つからない :slight_smile:

Oh! You’re almost there. :smiley:

Thank you again so much Kazzeon! Hopefully I’ll finish this volume tomorrow morning before I go to work! Thank you so much!

Page 209

とーちゃん あきしってる? - “Dad, is autumn is coming?”

おしえてやろうか? - “shall I tell you?”

ほう 教えてくる - “oh! Come and tell me”

いろんなものが あかくなったりする… - “various things turn red”

きとか やまとか うみとか - “trees, mountains, the sea, etc…”

へぇー 海も… - “eh? The sea too…”

それからおなか ペコペコになる - “after all that, I’m getting a bit hungry”

ふーかが いってた - I have no idea about this one… someone was saying something…

あ あかだ - “ah, a red one!”

So, in the end, page 209 wasn’t too difficult at all. Just the one question… what is ふーか in panel 5?

Thanks again!

:thinking:

秋知ってる?

教えてくれ

“And then, your stomach gets hungry.” (I think, since she’s continuing the part from before.)

へぇ, who could this Fuuka they speak of be? :eyes:

I’m an idiot! :grimacing:

Thank you! That’ll teach me to read and type in a hurry! :face_with_head_bandage:

Brilliant! Now you point it out, I can see it! Otherwise I’d never have got that! :confounded:

You are a real star Kazzeon! :prince: Thank you so much! :bowing_man:

The final few pages!

Page 210

そんな手が - “such a hand”? This has to be some kind of idiom I guess. Any ideas?

あとどれくらい - Google translate gives me “how long”, which makes some sense, but Jisho gives me nothing useful.Given that Yotsuba’s answer is 15, it must be “how many”.

ほんきできたか - I guess Yotsuba is saying 本気で来たか, but what does it mean to add the 来る here? Something like “are you really going to do it for real?”!

Page 212

とーちゃん ばっかり そんな すてきな… - “only dad can find such nice [acorns]”.

そういうのは こどもには むずかしいの!! - it’s difficult for kids to find such things!!

でも松ぼっくりより どんぐりのが上だな - Okay, so this sentence compares acorns and pine cones (I always get a headache trying to figure out comparative sentences) and I guess that 上 here is being used as “better than”. Pine cones are better than acorns.

And then dad says また でっかいのあった and this causes Yotsuba to throw it at him. I have two theories: (1) また でっかいのあった means “plus, it is huge”, and Yotsuba throws it at him because he is being condescending. Or, (2) また でっかいのあった means “can you find another, but bigger”? And Yotsuba throws it at him as it be-littles her find, and raises too high an expectation (a bit like Asagi being asked to find a 5-leaf clover back in volume 3). Any ideas?

Page 213

Sorry, I can’t figure out the kanji in the second panel… and that might hold the key to what was going on before.

Page 214

よつばは どんぐり ひろいびとに なれるかも しれない…!
よつばは - the one and only Yotsuba, “I”
どんぐり - acorn
ひろいびと - I guess 拾う+”person”, “collector”, but why does 拾う turn into ひろい?
に - particle
なれる - to become skilled in
かも - perhaps
しれない…! - to become known (in the negative here, but not meant as such)

“I might become well known as a skilled acorn collector”


Done! Thank you again so much Kazzeon and Belthazar for all your patience and kindness. I’ve only been able to read Yotsuba because of this book-club, and for a long time now it has basically been just you two answering all my questions. I can’t tell you how grateful I am. Thank you.

Hey! Was gonna answer a bit earlier, but I was eating. :stuck_out_tongue:

I thought the same, perhaps Jisho.org: Japanese Dictionary
#6, “That kind of trick/hand.” or #13, “That kind of move.”
She’s basically going, “Yeah, I’ll just pick up some more, and then we’ll go. :slight_smile:”

Jisho.org: Japanese Dictionary :smiley:
“How many more do we have to pick up before we can buy clothes?”

I think this has to do with the fact that とーちゃん has a serious mode, so she’s saying,
“So the serious mode has come…”

松ぼっくりより - compared to 松ぼっくり
どんぐりのが上だな - どんぐり are 上
So, it’s “Acorns are better than pine cones.” :stuck_out_tongue:
I always have a hard time with these, too.

I found another big one. :stuck_out_tongue:

投げんなよ “Don’t throw it.”

Other way around. 松ぼっくりより more than pine cones, どんぐりのが上 acorns are better.

He found another huge acorn. The one he’s holding.

投げんな.

Compound noun. 旅人 = traveller, 恋人 = lover, 拾い人 = collector. It’s not in Jisho, but it does get hits on Google (including lots of pictures from the time all the Japanese fans picked up rubbish at the last FIFA World Cup, and it went all viral).

(I confess the fact that it’s just us two makes me a little sad…)

ちょっとだけ, but it’s better than just stopping.
We could all migrate to the newer book clubs, but I also wanna keep reading Yotsuba. .-.

Speaking of newer book clubs, I might finish the other 少女終末旅行 chapters I’m missing.

Do we continue with Volume 9 now? :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you both so much! I’ll work through those answers when I get back from work tonight! Thank you!

I’m also a bit sad that it’s just us three left. This manga is so good that I don’t really understand why there aren’t dozens of people reading along.

Should be start vol.9? On the one hand I would love to, but on the other hand perhaps we ought to have a good long break in order for people to catch up? The problem is, with so many bookclubs running now, the chances of someone either working through all 8 volumes to catch up, or just starting at volume 9, are very slim.

And, speaking personally, my plans are first to go back to cover what I missed in vol 4 (just a quick read-through with the vocab list) and then perhaps I’d be better off starting with Sweet Chilli’s Home when that gets going? I’d be one of hundreds of beginners there, rather than the only one! I just don’t know.

Yeah, I don’t think people are catching up any time soon (not to say ever). :joy:
Perhaps we wait until someone else can join us, at least one more person. :sweat_smile:
Leave it in a hiatus, perhaps? Since you say you have other plans. :slight_smile:

:rofl:


I’ll start calling Chili’s that. :laughing:

That’s a little optimistic. :stuck_out_tongue:

There’s also the fact that every time I read something else, it’s mostly fine.
Instead of having a lot of fun like I do when I read Yotsuba. :sweat_smile:

Good idea! Perhaps a note in the main thread saying that we are waiting for more readers before starting vol.9?

I’m sure it’ll happen, I hope it’ll happen, there is no way I want to stop reading Yotsuba!

Exactly!!! :four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

So, what have you guys been up to? :eyes:

I see that you liked some of my Vol. 4 comments, did you finish reading that?

Lately, I’m just waiting for the チーズスイートホーム club to start. :upside_down_face:

So, I’ve also been everywhere on the forums, since I don’t have much else to do. :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers Kazzeon! No, not yet, still working my way through it - it goes in fits and starts. Plus I’m back on WK, Kitsun, and Bunpro, which keep me busy. Plus I’m reading a Gundam manga (reading = looking up kanji in the dictionary, and ignoring grammar!), so nothing is getting done very fast. But I hope that some progress is being made.

I also want to make a start on volume 9 of Yotsuba for when we eventually get going with that, but no time to do so yet!

And yes, back on WK the temptation is always there to spend time on the forums, and I’ve seen you around - as wise and as helpful as you always are!

Reviving this ancient topic to ask… how did you get there from たのしいのやってる方だけで? I’m especially confused about what の is doing there :thinking:

Can I get the page? (Image)

I can see getting to that, but just the text makes me think they’re saying something else.

I’d say it’s the page I uploaded in this post. Bottom-right panel.

Thought it was a bit mean of @Phryne to make us do all the work of rummaging through several layers of quoted posts in a four-year-old conversation to work out just what the question was. :stuck_out_tongue:

たのしい fun
の #2 I’d say

やってる方 way of doing
だけで just

Sorry, I was out. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oops, you are right! I forgot that that little aside wasn’t mentioned in Marcus’ original question :sweat_smile: Sorry! :pray:t2:

Ah I’d’ve never figured that one out!