よつばと! Vol 5 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

Join the よつばと! Reading Club!

よつばと! Volume 5 (Chapters 28-34) Discussion Thread

Current Chapter: Chapter 34
2697885-05

Reading Schedule

Start Date Reading Jump To Discussion
August 5 Chapter 28 link
August 12 Chapter 29 link
August 19 Chapter 30 link
August 26 Chapter 31 link
September 2 Chapter 32 link
September 9 Chapter 33 link
September 16 Chapter 34 link

Reminders for Discussion:

1. Feel free to discuss grammar, vocabulary, comprehension questions, as well as interesting plot or character development.
  2. Include references (page, panel, character speech bubble, etc.) so that others can help you.
  3. We’re all here to learn and read together, so share your thoughts and ask questions!

Resources

• Vocabulary (google spreadsheet): The vocabulary list is created and maintained by all of us. Please contribute what you can! You can also use and edit this spreadsheet anonymously.
  • Romaji Desu: An online dictionary that allows you to lookup by romaji, even for conjugated verbs.

User-Provided Translations

Please contribute translations to practice your comprehension and get feedback! Keep translations within spoiler blocks, for example:

[details="Chapter X"]
your translation for chapter X
[/details]
6 Likes

This’ll be my first time participating in these threads, I’m really excited! Just curious, is there a schedule for updating the vocab sheet (write up all pertinent points by the start date of each chapter, etc.)? I’d like to help out if possible!

3 Likes

Usually either by the start of each chapter, or a little after. Be sure to check it out and add anything you find. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wouhouu I’m finishing よつばと!4 and probably be able to join :smiley:

4 Likes

Same. :joy:

Discussion of Chapter 28 starts here.

Chapter 28 Vocab

Welcome back, everyone! And welcome to any newcomers! I may start on the vocab later today.

9 Likes

Shadow Danbo doesn’t blink. :fearful:

2 Likes

Hah. I was wondering why noone had posted here yet. Forgot to mark it for tracking.

For more adventures of Danbo:

So, question: page 6, second panel, I can’t tell what’s being said. Is this more of Yotsuba’s delusion that autumn follows summer?

4 Likes

I spent a long time trying to figure this out yesterday

I think that it’s 飽き (weariness, boredom) + も + せず (without)
(Possibly related to this grammar point?)

My interpretation was, “Dad, you’re always working, without getting bored, huh?”
(To which he replies, “You’re going over to the neighbors often, without getting bored, huh?” xD)

7 Likes

Pg. 4 second panel, I think I generally get what’s going on but the grammar is tripping me up a little:
お母さん:
If you finish (the research/HW), will you go home?
みうら:
That would be embarrassing, so no.

Am I on the right track?

Will you wear it home. 着て帰る = literally “put it on and go home”

3 Likes

Oh wow, I totally read it as 来て without regard to the kanji, no wonder this didn’t make sense the first time I read it! Ah, the second line also makes sense now!

1 Like

Danbo has turned into Nyanbo! That is amazing! Thank you for posting!
(Now I’ll quietly leave you lucky Yotsuba readers to get on with it. I wish I had the time to rejoin you in reading volume 5. But one day soon…, so thank you all so much for creating this thread!)

3 Likes

I knew it! Mike is Naruto! :laughing:

1 Like

Ooo, one other question, but more of an opinion question rather than a translation question: page 17, first panel, Miura… uh, I mean, Danbo says 上は洪水、下は大火事だ, which I’m reading as: “(In the list of awesome/destructive things), it comes just below floods and just above big fires.” (Or the other way around?)

However, ADV elected to go with just “Shock and awe”. Does… does that seem a fair translation?

2 Likes

Hmm… :thinking:

She asks, 「みさいる?すげーか?」

Apparently, 「上は洪水、下は大火事、これな~んだ?」is a riddle, which the answer is 「お風呂」
Also, apparently this is irrelevant, and probably just a way to answer the question as, “Great? It can bring floods from above and fires from below.” or also what you said makes more sense.

So, it seems like a fair translation to say, “Shock and awe.” But, we would need to know the question Yotsuba asks in that translation. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I wasn’t sure if that was a standard kind of phrase meaning something like “shock and awe” or something.

Sooo… the missiles are like a bath?

Do you all think it would be fair to assume that she doesn’t know what missiles are and is asking how destructive they are relative to other things? In the previous panel, she asks if Danbo is a weapon, to which it asks yes, so maybe she’s trying to find out how destructive they really are?

If that’s the case, @Belthazar I think you’re spot on! I probably would never have thought of it that way while reading by myself!

1 Like

Ooo, I didn’t read it like that, but now that you’ve mentioned it, it certainly seems plausible. (I kinda think she’s asking how awesome they are rather than how destructive they are, though.)

3 Likes