よつばと! Vol 4 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

The main reason to move everything is so that it’s more organized. I don’t know that I expect people outside of WaniKani to create an account just to participate, but our questions and answers could still help random googlers, which I think is a bonus.

3 Likes

I remember from one of my classes in university that you can ask someone “What are you doing for dinner/What about dinner?” as 「晩ご飯は?」so maybe you could say he’s saying “What about that rule? I don’t really know…” or something like that.

2 Likes

I think it’s also that quite a few people tend to ignore Campfire topics (and navigate directly to the categories / subcategories they’re interested in) so it’s hoped that the move will increase exposure within the WK community as well. It also means that somebody specifically looking within the forums for reading resources / help / motivation is more likely to find them.

4 Likes

Page 24

Not a question this time! An observation about how brilliant WK is (especially in conjunction with Yotsuba!)
I get in from work, do my reviews, do a batch of lessons (I’ve just made level 8), then turn to the next page in Yotsuba… page 24. And what do I find…?

絵日記
- level 8 - drawing - え
日記 - level 7 - diary - にっき

I studied these just minutes before turning to page 24, and here they are, together!
I love moments like this!

6 Likes

I don’t remember 絵 being level 8, but it’s been a long time. :joy:

Yeah, the feeling of, “Hey! I just studied that.” when you’re reading manga is the best. :smiley:

2 Likes

Also, now that I think about it, I did find the Yotsubato! Vol 1 thread by chance when I was still using Wanikani. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I just had the reverse version of that. 忘年会 was an answer to one of my crossword puzzles that we did together a number of weeks ago, and it just now came up in my lessons. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Nice! I do remember that from WK. :stuck_out_tongue:

I miss WaniKani :sob:

@BobaGakusei Can’t access the vocab list. D:

Try from here?

@Kazzeon did it work?

It worked. :slight_smile:
The link changed. :open_mouth:

1 Like

Page 24

Not a question, just checking!
Miura says 恵那はいいじゃん.
I take this to mean “Ena is good [isn’t she?]” or actually, "you are good [aren’t you?].
Here’s a link from Tae Kim on the use of じゃん in this kind of situation: see point 4.
I hope I’m not barking up completely the wrong tree here!

1 Like

Yeah, that sounds about right. Wondering if something like “Lucky for you” might be a more typical usage in English here, though.

2 Likes

Nice one! Thank you @Belthazar!

Discussion of Chapter 23 starts here.

Chapter 23 Vocab

2 Likes

Whew, this is a long and wordy chapter.

2 Likes

Nice, that’s a pretty impressive vocab list. I’m gonna start reading later today!

1 Like

Yeah, this chapter was pretty text-heavy! What a lovely reminder of how terrible my grammar is. :sweat_smile: I made it through, but there were definitely some sentences where I thought, “Yeah, I should probably come back and try to fully understand this at some point.” It’s like…I understand what’s going on, but at the same time, I really don’t. I feel like I should go back and reread the chapter with a more detail-oriented approach to the grammar, but I don’t know if I’ll actually end up doing that. Doesn’t sound very fun. :stuck_out_tongue:

Miura is basically me in this chapter. I’ve never gone fishing, but I think that cleaning fish guts and spearing worms on hooks are two things that I can happily go my entire life without doing. Noooo thanks. :no_good_woman:

Anyone else identify with a particular character this chapter? :stuck_out_tongue: If you were on a fishing trip, which one would you be?

3 Likes

It also covers only slightly more than a quarter of the chapter. It’s still a work in progress.

2 Likes