よつばと! Vol 4 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

Join the よつばと! Reading Club!

よつばと! Volume 4 (Chapters 22-27) Discussion Thread

Current Chapter: None (complete)

Reading Schedule

Start Date Reading Jump To Discussion
May 20 Chapter 22 link
May 27 Chapter 23 link
June 3 Chapter 24 link
June 10 4 Koma + Chapter 25 link
June 17 Chapter 26 link
June 24 Chapter 27 link

Reminders for Discussion:

1. Feel free to discuss grammar, vocabulary, comprehension questions, as well as interesting plot or character development.
  2. Include references (page, panel, character speech bubble, etc.) so that others can help you.
  3. We’re all here to learn and read together, so share your thoughts and ask questions!

Resources

• Vocabulary (google spreadsheet): The vocabulary list is created and maintained by all of us. Please contribute what you can! You can also use and edit this spreadsheet anonymously.
  • Romaji Desu: An online dictionary that allows you to lookup by romaji, even for conjugated verbs.

User-Provided Translations

Please contribute translations to practice your comprehension and get feedback! Keep translations within spoiler blocks, for example:

[details="Chapter X"]
your translation for chapter X
[/details]
7 Likes

We doing the home-made vocab pack again?

1 Like

We can try, though it’s not a requirement. Want me to add the link back in?

1 Like

Discussion of Chapter 22 starts here.

Chapter 22 Vocab

Hello everybody, I’m going to join up and start with volume 4! I’ve read most of the series and am in the last chapter of volume 12, but I’ve been reading in a breadth-over-depth way and would enjoy doing a deep dive with you guys and digging into the vocabulary and grammar.

I’ll see if I can start getting some vocab added in a similar fashion to what’s been done previously.

2 Likes

Well this chapter started off easy and got a bit complex.

Why on Earth does Jumbo call Miura Lamborghini Miura? Because she’s a convertible?

4 Likes

Welcome! It is so good to have you here reading along with us! Thank you!

Please add page numbers! (For those of us who are already behind! lol!) Can’t wait to read that page, the nickname sounds great for Miura!

Oh yeah. It’s on page 23. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

For the early part of the chapter:
I didn’t know the names of each one in Japanese until now.

9 Likes

Brilliant! Thank you for posting that!
Page four, what a great opening to this volume! lol!

Page 14, middle panel Jumbo says 「やるな!」
This is basically saying “Nice”/“Nice job!” ?

1 Like

Today I learned:

(It doesn’t appear to be a convertible, though :stuck_out_tongue: Maybe he just meant she looks nice, like a sports car?)
Does this mean Jumbo is a car guy?

8 Likes

Yeah, pretty much. I think of it as, “You’re able to do it, aren’t you?”. It’s usually complimentary, though it can be condescending if used for extremely easy activities.

3 Likes

Thanks! Came across a sentence I can’t quite parse:

Page 22, middle panel - Koiwai:
「うーん…俺もそこまでルールに詳しくは」
I believe it amounts to “Hmm…I’m not informed of the rules to quite that degree…”
But I don’t know what the は is doing at the end.

2 Likes

I agree with that interpretation, and am also not quite sure.

Maybe its a topic marker は? A contrast は? Either way, Koiwai is trailing off his speech with something along the lines of 分かっていない。

2 Likes

I was thinking it could be that Miura interrupts him when she speaks in the same panel.

1 Like

Okay, I filled out some vocab I thought would be helpful in the spreadsheet. I enjoyed doing it, at least having to look up the words I didn’t know and also learned some expressional/colloquial meanings of words I thought I knew. Let me know if I got too gung-ho on this and other people want a chance to contribute - I can dial it down next time.

Finished the chapter - one other piece I wanted to dig into -
The hardest part of this series for me is interpreting casual-man-speech.
Page 23, bottom panel with Miura and Ena, Miura says:
「よけーなこと言うな」
I’m having trouble figuring out what the よけー is abbreviating. It would be “Don’t say such ___ things”

3 Likes

My guess was 余計 (よけい), as in don’t say such unnecessary things?

(Basically, my strategy is to guess an えい ending whenever I see えー in casual speech xD Seems to be working so far)

6 Likes

It’s 余計. Quite often seen in the phrase 余計なお世話.

Didn’t realise we were doing the vocab sheet. I’ve give it a look over.

2 Likes