よつばと! Vol 4 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

While I think it could be said as “今、下だろ?” or “Just now, it went under, right?”

今の means something like, “the one just now” or “the thing that just happened”

今 - now (present); just now (referring to something that just happened)
の - the one; (赤いの: the red one, etc.); indefinite pronoun

In this case, the implied noun is probably serve (サーブ), shot (ショット), or something like that.

今のサーブ・ショット、下だろ?
“The serve/shot just now, it went under, right?”

Becomes something like, “今の下だろ?” or “The one just now, it went under, right?”

Stuff I used to get to this conclusion

grammar - Is "今の" in "今のは誰?" considered a synthetic noun? - Japanese Language Stack Exchange

Hope I am right, and that this is useful. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

I’m sure you are, and it certainly is! Thank you so much @Kazzeon! I’m in awe of your knowledge, and your amazing kindness in sharing it. And you explain it in a way that I can actually understand this complicated stuff! Amazing! Thank you so much!

2 Likes

I’m not sure it’s knowledge. :joy:

When I read it, I was just like, “Yeah, whatever.” Without paying too much attention.
But, when you asked, I was like, “Dang, he’s right. What even is this, and how do I explain it?” :joy:

Google is your friend, although I did have a hard time finding information about it. :stuck_out_tongue:

I really like your questions because they remind me of stuff I didn’t quite get, and I love explaining stuff. :smiley:

6 Likes

This. I tend to go “yep, I get the gist” and move on, which is fine if I’m just trying to read a passage in the wild, but when I’m reading specifically to learn, I probably should pay more attention.

5 Likes

Page 20

グシャーッ!!

And ideas?

Perhaps idiot?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure he’s making a sound effect with his mouth to simulate the strong impact of the badminton shuttle on the ground. It hits the ground so hard you have to unbury it, or something.

2 Likes

Thank you so much. That makes more sense, come to think of it.

Page 21

Yotsuba: よつばがみたのがあってるなら。。。= “If what I (Yotsuba) saw is right…” (合う)
Dad and Jumbo: うんうん、よつばが見たのでいいんだ = “yeah, yeah, because it would be good if you saw it”
Am I on the right lines here?

Page 23

つーかずっと女だって言ってんだろ

つーか - ???
ずっと - all along???
女 - woman
だ - is
って言って - said
んだろ - because

I’m totally lost with this one!

1 Like

Page 21: I think that’s a decent understanding. But if we were being more exact, the second line is more along the lines of:
“Yeah, yeah, whatever you saw is good.” Essentially meaning they’re going to let her make the final call.

Page 23:
The つーか can’t exactly be translated, but it’s essentially a word?/sound? that indicates that you object to something that was said previously.
ずっと女だって言ってんだろ means: “I’ve said I was a girl the whole time!”

Also, Hi! I’m new to this thread, but I love Yotsubato!

6 Likes

You clearly do! Thank you so much for your wonderful help, I really appreciate it, and welcome to the Yotsuba Reading Club! It is brilliant having you here!

つーか is, as I’d suspected, an abbreviation for っていうか = how should I put it, I mean

6 Likes

That’s great to know! I’ve seen it enough to pick up the meaning/usage, but I wasn’t sure of the origin. Always good to learn the details.

1 Like

You guys might want to move this topic to the new #japanese-language:reading section. :blush:

1 Like

And exactly which person with the access privileges are you suggesting should move the topic? :stuck_out_tongue:

@BobaGakusei since he/she created the topic. :wink:

Or me, I can do it if people are fine with it. I was actually just about to ask about this in the main thread xD
ETA it looks like some had already been moved anyway, so I went ahead and moved the rest

1 Like

@ to all frequent posters (2+ posts)

@marcusp @BobaGakusei @Belthazar @Kazzeon @Natsu-Machi @Momoiro @windupbird

We’ll be moving this thread to the new reading section in 7 days.

The reading section will allow us to increase exposure of our reading club. However, since it will be publicly indexed by search engines (as opposed to private, the way Campfire threads are), if there’s anything you’d like to delete or edit out, now’s your chance.

3 Likes

@ to remaining posters (1 post) [there’s a limit of 10 @ mentions per post]

@Ninkastmin @fuyuko @seanblue @Abstormal @saiakuma

See above post

2 Likes

I’m curious about this ‘increased exposure’. Is it supposed to attract non-WK people so they come and participate?

1 Like

A fine question. I am not quite sure either, but I would say that external search engines are easier to use than Discourse’s. At the very least, we’d be able to find things more easily.

Original justification for the “Reading” category

1 Like