よつばと! Vol 12 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

:eyes:

I'm guessing someone doesn't have the "high def" version of Yotsuba (that's what I'm calling it now)

2 Likes

Page 82
ヘルメットは脱いだらそこの

Can anyone help me with the grammar at the end? I understand the sentence is Yotsuba’s dad asking her to take off the helmet, and I’m guessing 脱いだら is in the conditional form, but I don’t really understand the use of そこの afterwards.

Page 98-99
Does くらげ here mean jellyfish? Does this not make sense to anyone else? :confused:

1 Like

I’m fairly sure this is an abbreviation of something, but I couldn’t really say what. The gut feeling is that it’s along the lines of “take your helmet off indoors”.

This is what she means:

11c0031cf532ed464f1fb6374b268175

And yeah, “jellyfish” is the correct translation. I’m reasonably confident we’ve seen his m4d skillz earlier in the manga.

3 Likes

I love how they left one of the footprints :laughing: Also, I died when Yotsuba asked if celery just came out :joy:

I got the sense that he was telling her, when she takes her helmet off (the conditional 脱いだら), she should put it “there” (wherever he’s pointing, somewhere by the front door presumably). So I think そこの is referring to whatever he’s pointing at (like そこの shelf or something, but he leaves the name of the thing off because it would be obvious from where he’s pointing). I think he assumed she was going to take it off, since they were inside, which explains why he seemed a little surprised/confused when she said she wasn’t going to take it off. (Then he was just like “well, ok, whatever”)
…I don’t know for sure if that’s right though xD

I was also confused, so don’t feel bad! I just kind of assumed she was talking about something that happened “off-screen” and let it go, tbh. I don’t remember the “jellyfish” thing coming up before, but we’ve been reading this series for like 2 years at this point so it’s definitely possible that I just forgot xD

2 Likes

Ok, I’m having trouble finding any scene where it’s depicted in Yotsuba, so maybe I’m just thinking of other media. There might have been an example in Totoro, maybe.

2 Likes

What is this? Being on time?
It’s more likely than you think.

Do they do this in Japan?

Considering Yotsuba seems to be surprised as well, and the fact that I’ve never encountered it anywhere else (that I remember), I’d say no. But who knows.

Or is it supposed to be something that stands out?
Like she’s reading them because she’s new or something?

I think I’m already in reading-too-much-into-it territory.

I’m missing the meaning here.
Ok, I got it in the next page. It was mostly the くらい messing with me.

I really like this sentiment, though.

I guess it can be summarized to my usual, “That’s life.” comment.

That’s what I got from it, too. :+1:

ヘルメットは脱いだらそこの(棚に置いて)

I was like, what’s タノール? エタノール :weary: I don’t know chemicals in any language.

Yes! :blush:

She remembered! :smiley:

4 Likes

Do what? Read out the prices? Pretty sure that’s a thing. Though come to think of it, I’m not sure I’ve seen it myself.

Depends which supermarket you go to. Some do, some don’t. I can’t remember which do, but when I’m in there I always feel sorry for the staff… yet another pointless and painful bit of “politeness” rigmarole to go through.

(I’m miles and miles behind on Yotsuba… but one day I’ll catch you all up!)

4 Likes

Chapter 80! :woman_mage::broom:

4 Likes

Is it going by too fast, or is it just me? We’re already halfway through. :open_mouth:

4 Likes

I say. It’s a ふらいんぐうぃっち.

4 Likes

Oh noes, what a horrible trick! turning the shoes over :rofl:

4 Likes

Heh. Yotsuba’s little tiny よーいやさー in the second panel of page 114.

Page 123, I’m glad Miura’s apartment number is 1001, because I’ve always wondered how you read out a room number like that.

Page 124, did we get to see Miura’s surname the last time we were here? The only other time the word “Hayasaka” has been mentioned here on WaniKani is when Rowena posted Miura’s article on the Yotsuba wiki.

Considering she learnt the awesome power of untying shoelaces a couple of chapters ago, I’m a little surprised she didn’t try that. I guess this is funnier. :stuck_out_tongue:

I was in Japan the weekend before Halloween last year, so I went to see the Kawasaki Halloween Parade. Some very impressive costumes there. (I also visited the Shibuya Halloween, which was mostly just pushing my way through a crowd, some of whom happened to be dressed up. And I went to see parts of the Ikebukuro event with @marcusp. Some photos can be found on mah blog.)

6 Likes

Wow, just read your blog for that day! You sure did pack a lot in! Amazing! (And some great photos too!)

1 Like

D: You went together! :open_mouth: jealous

3 Likes

I’m not too far behind!

Source: あずまきよひこ on Instagram

5 Likes

That would be the high-def version of Yotsuba. @windupbird

4 Likes

Anime never. :cry:

Oh! I didn’t see it was Azuma Kiyohiko. :joy:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BC9PDCHoTKg/

ジュラルミンだ!

3 Likes

Time and again my favourite thing about よつばと is Yotsuba’s facial expressions. :blush:

I had a few sentences in this chapter that I had to go do some research on to understand the grammar. This happens with most chapters, but I end up working it out on my own and then not posting anything here. Does anyone think it would be useful for me to post my own questions and answers in case other people also have the same questions?

As an aside, I hope you’re all doing well in this crazy world we’re currently living in! Stay safe out (in?) there.

7 Likes